Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsgs View Post
I have had good luck with the 10 1/2" Motion Pro spoon type tire iron. I have used it on some older stuck tubeless tires and always gotten them to break. It takes a few times to go around but they always break.
Turn the iron upside down so the lip bites the rim and lever down and keep working around. I am surprised what they will break being their compact size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtoV View Post
I agree with using “spoons”, I use irons but same deal. Just learn to pop the bead with the irons because you have to carry them anyway. I have removed tube and tubeless tires this way. All the other methods mentioned have only frustrated me and I wind up using the irons.
I've never been able to get this to work with tubeless type tires on a rim with a safety bead. Avon Distanzia 120/70-17 and 150/60-17 and Metzler Tourance 150/70-17 were attempted on my DRZ400SM rims.

I even put the Distanzia 150 in a bench mounted vice, and the bead still hung onto the rim. I built a 4 foot long lever with a wooden leg to break the bead, but that isn't available in the field.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #17
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,275
I broke one down once that took the entire weight of my KLR's side stand and would not break. I'm talkin leaning the bike over so almost all the weight of the bike is on the stand & wheel is in the air. No plastic wedge or tire spoon is gonna break that one, but C clamp with plate will break it. Note.... with plate. I have a tire machine at my shop... on the road I carry the clamp... it always wins.
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #18
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
but C clamp with plate will break it. Note.... with plate. I have a tire machine at my shop... on the road I carry the clamp... it always wins.
I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your setup if you could.
JTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

plate and clamp... clamp opening is 3"x5", so this particular one will work on any rim that is narrower than 5".

the aluminum plate is about 4"x6", 1/8" thick hard alloy (2024T3) & protects the rim & forces all the energy on to screw side... no power is lost on the plate side

the screw is read to go to work... it can drive all the way until the two beads touch

Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Ahhh! Thanks Breezer! I was imagining a vertical a plate on the bead side to focus pressure on the bead. I love you KISS method though. I bet you could even get away with THIS and serve double duty.
JTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

yep.... thats one of the extra duties my plate is used for
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Daryl_Stamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
The kick stand works great but you need another bike with you.
Extra bike not required if you have a center stand. Works ok on my GSA front or back tire but have always tied the centerstand to header to prevent rolling off of it.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #23
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
I was able to break the bead of my Anakee 2's using the kickstand of my F800GS, while it was on the center stand. It was a bit awkward but it worked. To avoid this in the future, I just ordered on of these:
http://www.extremeoutback.com/produc...adbreaker.html . Read about it in a MCN comparison article here http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval...ulyBdBrkrs.pdf If or when I get to use it, I'll report back.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
I broke the bead on my TW41 with my hands and boots.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I broke the bead on my TW41 with my hands and boots.
I break beads on tires with my kickstand (and by kickstand I do not mean the one on my bike)
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #26
betterdays
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cool2 Small Tire Iron

I haven't tried this one myself, but the distributor is great to work with. Good luck.

http://www.nhproequip.com/p/755/ken-...ires-model-tc9
betterdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #27
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
I break beads on tires with my kickstand (and by kickstand I do not mean the one on my bike)
TMI, Dood. TMI

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #28
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your setup if you could.
Same set up here but I use a more compact (sliding) F clamp.
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #29
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,079
I use a wedgie tool; I think mine is the Motion pro bead popper. Small, light, and easy to use once you figure it out. Requires a hammer, but I've always found a suitable rock when I'm roadside. First time I used it in the shop, I thought I'd been had, but once I got the knack, it never fails.

Much llghter and more compact than bead tools or c-clamps.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #30
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,383
Crossed tire irons and soap

I use crossed tire irons and soap. I formerly used soap only after breaking the bead, but it helps a lot for breaking the bead too. I hold the tire irons with the hooks pointing away from each other and crossed about an inch or so from the rim. Levering the two tire irons against each other pushes the bead right off the seat.

Works on my KLR which is the same bike as the OP.

I've used the crossed tire irons without soap on day trips where I don't have soap handy.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote