User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
625SXC OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Track Days?

Thinkin' about signing up for a track day at Nelson Ledges(Ohio). Any of you guys do them? Do you find that you learned alot?
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Capt-Kevlar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Are you kidding me??? If you're able, you should absolutely do a track day. Not only will you learn a tremendous amount about both your bike and yourself, it is probably the most fun you can have on 2 wheels. The first time is kind of overwhelming. After years( I presume by your multi bike list) of riding on the streets its kind of weird being in an environment that, not only can you, but you are encouraged to go as fast as you want. Just make sure you got the right gear for you and your bike and take your time getting to know the track and proper track etiquette. Man, you are going to love it!!!!! Let us know how it goes.
Capt-Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Angry Wookie
Running On Fumes

Oddometer: 225
I did a two day track school at Thunder Hill in Ca. Probably the most fun I've had on a bike. Great instructors, I was able to learn a lot about both my bike and my limits. A lot of the skills translate directly to the street and made me a more competent and safer rider. If I had the time and money I'd be at track days on a regular basis. Plus being able to just twist the throttle and open her up on the straights without worrying about cops pulling me over was a blast.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Latebraker
Licensed to thrill

Oddometer: 8
Track days

Do it !

It's a great way to ride and concentrate ONLY on riding.

It got me into racing but that a whole 'nuther story.
Latebraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,709
Same here. Trackdays, then racing.

1. New tires are a lot cheaper then bodywork.

2. Take it easy on the first two laps every session until your tires are warm.

3. It WILL take you two or three sessions to figure out where the track goes. Chill until you do.

4. It will take two or three sessions to figure out when and where it is appropriate to pass. Chill until you do.

5. Have fun.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,553
I have heard people grumble about how they think that track days are expensive... But I have NEVER heard anyone say that a track day was not worth the time and money invested.

Go do a track day and feel confident that you will come away a better rider. (as you plan how you will afford the next one)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Ugh... After spending a couple days in the Black Hills, I reeeeally wish there was a track nearby here (Sioux Falls, SD) ......
Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,368
What about chicks? Are there as many chicks at a track day as at a cafe? I'm not going to give up the chance to score just to become a better rider.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
i did track days for a few years .
Its a great place to learn about cornering. .You'll learn more about cornering there in one day than many years on the street.
When a challenging curve pops up on the street you'll know excactly what to do instead of freaking out and crashing.
I kind of prefer to ride the street with guys that have a little track time. They just have that confidence.
Just do it.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Sounds like fun..
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
TheFitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I second all the above. I've done a few, and learned a great deal about my bike and it's limits.

One thing i'd add is, pay attention on the sight lap and follow the CRs lines. This becomes important later in the day, when guys are passing you. Stay on the race line, ESPECIALLY if you're slower than others. It's dangerous to "try to be a nice guy" and "get out of the way" on a straight or a fast sweeper. That's how collisions happen, because your amateur CCS types may be on track, and they'll be flying by you. If you're not on the race line, you become a moving speed bump
TheFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFitz View Post
I second all the above. I've done a few, and learned a great deal about my bike and it's limits.

One thing i'd add is, pay attention on the sight lap and follow the CRs lines. This becomes important later in the day, when guys are passing you. Stay on the race line, ESPECIALLY if you're slower than others. It's dangerous to "try to be a nice guy" and "get out of the way" on a straight or a fast sweeper. That's how collisions happen, because your amateur CCS types may be on track, and they'll be flying by you. If you're not on the race line, you become a moving speed bump
Most track orgs don't let guys with race licenses on the track with beginners. It may be an open trackday, so its possible but a lot of the time you have to be an intermediate or better rider before they will let you register.

Other than that yeah, if there is a beginner course, volunteer for that, you will spend more time playing follow the leader, but its time well spent, the track isn't the street nor should it be treated as such. A lot of the time they will have class between sessions, which kinda sucks because that means there is less time to pump water and eat and tinker with the bike (not to mention hang out and bullshit) but you can learn a WHOLE lot real fast that way, and it will be from the coaches and not the guy next to you who may think he's Rossi, but really just a point and shoot liter bike rider.

Not saying that you shouldn't take advice form the guys in the paddock....but take it with a grain of salt.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Latebraker
Licensed to thrill

Oddometer: 8
One of my first track days:

6 months later,,,

Latebraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 625SXC View Post
Thinkin' about signing up for a track day at Nelson Ledges(Ohio). Any of you guys do them? Do you find that you learned alot?
Huge fan of track days, and continuing rider education for increasing skills in any way you can. Track days are just one of those ways.

That said, it is SOOOOOOO much better (and safer) than trying to go fast on the street. The fastest guys I know on the street are SUUHHHLLLOOOOOOW compared to average guys on track. There is that much difference.

DO IT

and then...

DO IT AGAIN. You will not be unhappy.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
In case teh previous 23 posts haven't convinced you, GO TO THE TRACK!
MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote