ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #46
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
REI has a phenomenal return policy and they bend over for the REI members. I had my 60csx for five years and used it extensively for work and play. I dumped my bike doing a transcontinental Iron Butt run and scratched the screen bad and smashed up the buttons and it didn't quite function. They exchanged it for a full refund. I bought the 62 and it worked nicely but I took it back to REI and exchanged it for the Montana.
I just can't figure out why their prices are so high?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #47
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
will the Montana replace the 60CSX for dirt.

Long time 60CSX rider here. Over the last six years I've gone through three of them thrashing them around offloading. Eventually the circuit boards have died on me, I'm guessing the pounding off road takes a toll eventually. Luckily I send them back to Garmin and they give me a brand new refurb for the about $120. Love the Montana for its bigger screen, just wondering if it can replace the 60CSX as far as track recording and mapping features? I use it solely for off roading and DS rides and scared to lose any of the "manipulating tracks" features of the 60 CSX. Is the Montana equally capable? Have the screens been punished enough off road racing (mud, dust, whoops, and rocks) yet to determine if durability or screen manipulation off road is a concern?

Sadly I've purchased more than a few things recommended on ADV only to find out that when really punished the items failed for me. Looking for people that have some decent mileage offloading these things to help in my decision making.

Thanks heaps in advance.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #48
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Long time 60CSX rider here. Over the last six years I've gone through three of them thrashing them around offloading. Eventually the circuit boards have died on me, I'm guessing the pounding off road takes a toll eventually. Luckily I send them back to Garmin and they give me a brand new refurb for the about $120. Love the Montana for its bigger screen, just wondering if it can replace the 60CSX as far as track recording and mapping features? I use it solely for off roading and DS rides and scared to lose any of the "manipulating tracks" features of the 60 CSX. Is the Montana equally capable? Have the screens been punished enough off road racing (mud, dust, whoops, and rocks) yet to determine if durability or screen manipulation off road is a concern?

Sadly I've purchased more than a few things recommended on ADV only to find out that when really punished the items failed for me. Looking for people that have some decent mileage offloading these things to help in my decision making.

Thanks heaps in advance.
I have no doubt that there are folks that can "kill" any GPS mounted on a bike but the Montana seems to be quite rugged and the software is even more advanced in the areas that will be important for your DS riding. 200 Tracks at up to 10,000 points each and all can be on the map at the same time! You can also "navigate" Tracks so you get the benefits of Time/Distance info. Also, on the Montana, when you have Waypoints within 50ft of a Track, the Trip Computer will pick that Waypoint up just like if it were in a Route.

You should send an email to the Husaberg Andes Moto Extreme Team, the last picture I saw of their bikes they had Garmin Montana's on the bars. Don't think Garmin sponsored them either.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #49
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I have no doubt that there are folks that can "kill" any GPS mounted on a bike but the Montana seems to be quite rugged

Yes, sadly three of the 60CSX failed and were sent back to Garmin. They usally lasted almost a year before having issues; shutting off even when hardwired, failing to turn off/on, one due drowing in a river)

and the software is even more advanced in the areas that will be important for your DS riding. 200 Tracks at up to 10,000 points each and all can be on the map at the same time!

200 tracks is a nice addition. The 10,000 point upgrade is icing on the cake though realistically I never had a problem navigating on 500 point tracks.

You can also "navigate" Tracks so you get the benefits of Time/Distance info.

Could someone explain this feature to my simpleton brain? Does this mean I can "route" using the tracks that are overlaid on my maps(not part of the map)?

You should send an email to the Husaberg Andes Moto Extreme Team, the last picture I saw of their bikes they had Garmin Montana's on the bars. Don't think Garmin sponsored them either.

I should email LukasM as he's a decent gent to see what he thought of the unit.

cheers,

I posted some questions in the quote in orange.

Thanks for you post.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #50
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I posted some questions in the quote in orange.
You can also "navigate" Tracks so you get the benefits of Time/Distance info.

Could someone explain this feature to my simpleton brain? Does this mean I can "route" using the tracks that are overlaid on my maps(not part of the map)?
Thanks for you post.
Sure. On many of the newer handheld Garmin's you can select a Track in the Track Manager (one you've transferred to the unit or saved on the unit) and select View Map, this will show your Track on the map (not an image overlay map) and you can then press the "GO" button and the unit will navigate the Track much like it was a Route. The benefits of this verses just showing the Track on the map via (Show on Map) is that the GPS will actually use the Track data to give you navigation info such as Distance to Next, Distance to Destination, ETA at Destination, etc. This info is usually provided by Data Fields in the Trip Computer or on other screens/dashboards.

The newer GPS's will also include Waypoints that fall within 50ft. of the Tracks path in the above information just as though they were Waypoints in a Route. You just transfer them to the GPS along with the Tracks and the GPS will do the rest.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 02:06 PM
Old 05-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #51
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Sure. On many of the newer handheld Garmin's you can select a Track in the Track Manager (one you've transferred to the unit or saved on the unit) and select View Map, this will show your Track on the map (not an image overlay map) and you can then press the "GO" button and the unit will navigate the Track much like it was a Route. The benefits of this verses just showing the Track on the map via (Show on Map) is that the GPS will actually use the Track data to give you navigation info such as Distance to Next, Distance to Destination, ETA at Destination, etc. This info is usually provided by Data Fields in the Trip Computer or on other screens/dashboards.

The newer GPS's will also include Waypoints that fall within 50ft. of the Tracks path in the above information just as though they were Waypoints in a Route. You just transfer them to the GPS along with the Tracks and the GPS will do the rest.

Cheers,

Thanks for the description.

Another question if I may. Say I have a saved track overlaid on my map (but not part of the map) that branches off one of the map roads. On the Montana can I create a route that follows the map road and then route along the saved track to creat one route that includes both the road on the map and the saved track? Or do I have to toggle the GPS seperately to route along the saved track?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #52
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The latter.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #53
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Thanks Dan. I just read your Montana review that was penned in your signature. Great write-up and very informative. Perfect, thanks for taking the time.

Now i just want to see the units thrashed about off road for a year to see how the touch screens fare. Has there been any issues of touch screen failure or inability to react to touch screen finger commands? After killing three separate 60CSX's I'm a bit cynical.

Is the advantage of the 650T over 650 that it just has a particular topo map installed or does it have upgraded software to handle topos more effectively?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #54
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Dan. I just read your Montana review that was penned in your signature. Great write-up and very informative. Perfect, thanks for taking the time.

Now i just want to see the units thrashed about off road for a year to see how the touch screens fare. Has there been any issues of touch screen failure or inability to react to touch screen finger commands? After killing three separate 60CSX's I'm a bit cynical.

Is the advantage of the 650T over 650 that it just has a particular topo map installed or does it have upgraded software to handle topos more effectively?
There was a small number of units in the initial production run that had defective touch screen controllers - I had one. Garmin replaced any of the units that were returned. Some retailers were not as conscientious as other (GPSCity.com) and didn't send their early units back to Garmin. They just kept selling them. Anyway, I haven't heard of failures for quite some time. I've been flogging my Montana for almost a year, as have others, and the screen's are holding up quite well.

The article I wrote last year and the software has had quite a few updates since.

There is little advantage in the 650t vs. 650. The maps are not worth the added expense but you do get an additional 500MB of internal storage. Still, for the price increase of the 650 you could purchase a 32GB µSD Card. Software on the two units is exactly the same (as it is for all of the Series units: 600, 650, 650t).

The next major software release (in beta now) will have some map performance enhancements but you still cannot "no-show" contour lines on Topo's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #55
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Great info thanks Dan.

Looks like the T offers nothing that would be of benefit for my usage. I'm trying to get my head around whether the camera function would be a benefit for me. I understand the ability to turn pictures into way-points which is interesting but not sure how pragmatic that function would be. If others are giving me the pictures (but they would have to be using the Montana as well I'm assuming?) I could see that being a benefit to download their pic as a way-point for new sights for me to visit, but not sure how often I would use that feature (my own pics) for my own routes and tracks. I mean once I've been to a location I already know where it is, no need for a pic. Am I overlooking an advantage of this feature? If not, thats $100 savings getting the 600 over the 650T.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #56
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Great info thanks Dan.

Looks like the T offers nothing that would be of benefit for my usage. I'm trying to get my head around whether the camera function would be a benefit for me. I understand the ability to turn pictures into way-points which is interesting but not sure how pragmatic that function would be. If others are giving me the pictures (but they would have to be using the Montana as well I'm assuming?) I could see that being a benefit to download their pic as a way-point for new sights for me to visit, but not sure how often I would use that feature (my own pics) for my own routes and tracks. I mean once I've been to a location I already know where it is, no need for a pic. Am I overlooking an advantage of this feature? If not, thats $100 savings getting the 600 over the 650T.
The 650 is only about $40 more than the 600. Get the camera.

The price difference is exactly $40 between them.

(Click the image to go to the GPSCity site comparison page)

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 06:13 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #57
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Great info thanks Dan.

I agree with Emmbeedee, but if you don't think you'll use the camera put that money toward the CNNA maps.

As for Photo's given to you, it is easy enough to geotag them in BaseCamp if they aren't already and send them to the Montana. Or you can send them to the Montana and link them to waypoints you will create later.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #58
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Decent price, but $500 is still a helluva lotta cake!

I think I posted elsewhere, but I finally broke down and bought a mid-grade Nuvi from the outgoing lineup. It is not waterproof and useless off-road. But it does do routing and has free lifetime US/North America maps. All for $150. It arrived yesterday and has already pissed me off four or five times. ... Must be electronic.
I looked again and by golly you guys are right, $110 flat fee. Also I mis-spoke; mine is a 60CSx. So I have decided to pay the fee and RMA it. Now I'll have an on-road and an off-road setup, sadly just not in the same unit.

Also, Garmin telephone support has the nicest people. Call 'em, don't email!
you are more than halfway to a montana.I havent had a gps before but have borrowed a friends and its great.Have a look at the great big Montana thread.The montana can be 10 gps unit in one.You can create or use profiles and set them up exactly as you like,and a nuvi is one of the standard looks.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #59
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
I have no doubt that there are folks that can "kill" any GPS mounted on a bike but the Montana seems to be quite rugged and the software is even more advanced in the areas that will be important for your DS riding. 200 Tracks at up to 10,000 points each and all can be on the map at the same time! You can also "navigate" Tracks so you get the benefits of Time/Distance info. Cheers,
Dan is correct however all the "new generaton units" have the same features. You get 200 tracks with the 62/78/Montana. For off road use, the choice is basically case size (my handle bars are full of ICO odo, Roll Chart holder, and 76Cx), screen size, and touch screen vs buttons.

As to "killing" a GPS, riding is not that hard on them, crashing can be very hard on them. I have 11,000 DIRT Mi on my current 76Cx, probably the same on last 76Cx which is now back up in motorhome with 33,000 Mi, probably the same on last 76C which is now desk unit with 35,000 Mi, and probably the same on 2nd last 76C which is now back up desk unit with 100,000 Mi.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #60
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Dan is correct however all the "new generaton units" have the same features.
There is one thing the Montana has that none of the others do - Profiles. This means you can make your gps into many different units based entirely on settings you can switch in a second through a Shortcut.

There is another thing the Montana has that none of the others you listed have and that's a proper powered, lockable mount.

And a third thing the Montana has is the ability to be used in Landscape or portrait mode.

So really, of the 'New Generation' of Garmin gps, the Montana's in a class of its own.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 07:00 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote