User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
murdock84 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
PA - Centre County Area Day trip

I just picked up a BMW F800GS at the end of April and wanted to get it broken in. So I took it to hunting camp for our spring "work" weekend the weekend of the 5th of May. We left Thursday afternoon and trailered the bikes to camp, it's not far of a ride but I did not want to ride a bunch of highway with only about 200 miles on the bike so far. Thursday when we arrived it started to thunder and lightning so we did not get to ride that afternoon/evening. Friday morning we went out to cut some firewood and to take a fence down we had at camp. I never got to ride the GS offroad yet so I rode it out the trails to where we were going to cut wood and out to the fenced in area as well. The trails are made for trucks/suvs so nothing crazy. Grass and dirt. The grass was wet so things were a little slippery, but not bad. A group of the guys were going to go to Clearfield to Denny's Beer Barrel Pub for burgers in the evening. We were going to ride out from camp but another buddy was going to be arriving in less than an hour so I backed out. The guy who went up with me hopped in their van and went with them. It started to rain about and hour after they left, it poured for about 15 minutes. When they go back they said it poured most of the time they were there to eat. Glad I didn't ride out.

Saturday morning we were going to ride up to a friend's place in Austin, Potter County but it looked crappy out, so we opted for something closer until we knew the weather was going to be better. My buddy who rides a Triumph TT600 wanted to go look at new bikes so we went to Kissel Motorsports in State College. We left Snow Shoe and headed south on 144. We then took 504 or ALT 220 into Port Matilda then catched 99 into State College. We thought we made one wrong turn when we got onto Skytop Mountain Rd. so we turned around at the "End Zone" (the locals will know what that is). We arrived at the dealer. My one buddy had to go sit on the Tiger 800XC that they had. I tried to talk him into trading his bike in while we were there and to just go home with a new bike. He advised that the girlfriend would not probably approve of that move. After he was done drooling we went back on the road. They were hungry so we took 550 (nice curvy road) into Bellefonte and then 150 back to Milesburg. We stopped at McDonalds for a quick lunch and the sun finally came out (2:00 PMish). We then took 150 past Bald Eagle State Park. Never drove past the lake before and we didn't stop. Maybe next time we are that way we will explore around, looks neat. We stopped at a Sheetz in Lock Haven to clear the bugs from the shields then took 120 towards Renovo. We took the road up to Hyner View State Park just to take a look. There was one other motorcycle there and two cars. Least amount of people I ever saw there. I didn't take any pictures this time and no one was hang gliding as well. It's a neat place to stop if you're in the area for sure. I asked the guys where they wanted to go. I gave them two options. Just back to 144 and back to camp or out 120 further to Wykoff Rd. They chose 144, but I said while we are here lets go over to Alvin Bush dam for the heck of it. So we went north on 120 and I made a wrong turn and went north on 144. I thought I was supposed to go further on 120 but was glad I made the wrong turn 144 was a nice twisty road. I pulled over and said I don't think I made the correct right hand turn, my buddy said he beeped at me, but I never heard him. We looked at the map and new we could take 144 towards Cross Fork then come back down to Alvin Bush Dam via Kettle Creek Road. We did that and stopped at the dam.

My new ride at Alvin Bush Dam/Kettle Creek State Park

The bikes

From the dam we went back towards Renvo. Followed an old guy in a pickup with his dog that was doing around 25MPH on Kettle Creek Road the whole way out to 120. We then took 144 back to camp in Snow Shoe. We arrived back around 6:45ish, just in time for dinner. My buddy had been wanting to hit the Snow Shoe Rails to Trails http://www.ssrt.org/ up again and I wanted to ride my bike on some dirt roads. So after dinner they took my two four wheelers and I road my bike and met them and we rode out to the old race track along the trails.

The sun setting on my bike (somewhat setting)

I messed around a few minutes on the bike there while they rode around a little longer. We then road towards Kato ( I have no clue why it shows up on a map, there are no homes there at all and it is in the middle of no where). The bridge was out and the water was too high to cross. So we turned around there, for now that is where the ATV trail ends unless you can get across the water. A guy in a blazer showed up with his girlfriend and took it in until the wheels were covered. I had my camera ready but he backed out. It was getting dark at this time so we headed back to camp and called it a day. When we got back to camp we had ridden around 210 to 220 miles for the day. We had fun and my buddy wants to do it again.

I learned that I want a new GPS. My handheld showed that I was in the middle of the woods when on 99 and the car GPS was too hard to see when in the tank bag when the sun was out. Looking at the Garmin Zumo or Montana series.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,876
Centre County
Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
minusworld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Centre county definitely has some great riding. You didn't happen to be riding on rt453 outside of Tyrone the weekend the previous weekend? I passed someone on a shiny new F800GS in that color scheme and it's the first time I've seen one in the area. Good looking bike.
minusworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Ferdinand
Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer: 290
Is the snowshoe rails to trails open to plated bikes if they purchase a pass. I know the state forest system is for atv's only so I'm thinking not, seems likes it's open for everything else though.
Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
murdock84 OP
Studly Adventurer

Minusworld, was not me riding on 453. I live down in Lancaster County and actually just bought the bike on the 26th of April. We use our hunting camp as base for our little day trips.

Ferdinand, the eastern end of the Snow Shoe Rails to Trails consist of township roads so that would be the only part that plated bikes are allowed on. From Clarence to the west it is along the old railroad bed and would suck to ride on 2 wheels anyway. Lots of fun roads around the Sproul State Forest area. I've been on a good bit on mr DRZ in the past.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Ferdinand
Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer: 290
I'm pretty familiar with the whole area, just could never figure out where all the atvs were coming from and especially when I'd see them in town at the Sandwhich shop I think it was. Now I know thanks.
Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
murdock84 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
I'm pretty familiar with the whole area, just could never figure out where all the atvs were coming from and especially when I'd see them in town at the Sandwhich shop I think it was. Now I know thanks.

I believe the sandwhich shop in Clarence is called Ludwig's. I only ever ate there once. The food was ok. I like Brother's Pizza shop in Snow Shoe, good food and resonable prices.