User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Masterblaster OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Okay, time for a Beast

I have a nice 09 Dyna that is heavily modded on the power and suspension side 107 CI motor, 115 Tq /100HP, Shocks (Ohlins) custom built fully adjustable front end (Ohlins/Racetech). Its my wife's, it just sits there unridden, sinful. My bikes are a Busa and a Ultra, I have speed and cross continental travel covered. I have grew up a dirt rider and just got rid of my KLR a few years ago for safety sake (me going crazy in the Fla swamps trying to kill it, almost killing myself, yep, the KLR won), now I have a hole in my cycle repertoire , the ST/AT bike. I love them all, V Strom 1000 ($/Value), 1050 (Speed), BMW 1200 (Speed / Handling), Duc MS (Pure Beauty). I usually ride 25 - 30 k miles a year, two trips cross country in US or Europe, always on a Harley, I want to take at least one of these trips per year on a sport touring adventure type bike. So I am here looking for your input, advice, point of view, IMHO's. The last three bikes I am looking at are...

Tiger Explorer 1050 (the new 1200 is out as its first year model)
Tenere (leaning towards this)
V Strom 1000 ( Hard to pass up price and credit terms right now)

Help me rule one out or all of them out, or rule one in over the others.

Masterblaster screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 02:34 PM
Masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
For the kind of mileage you're going to do, go with the SuperTenere. It's very reliable and must have the longest valve check interval of all ADV bikes, 26,000 miles. The bike's been out for a couple of years now and has proven very reliable, typical of Yamaha. And the inclusion of ABS and traction control is nice to have.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,913
I agree the Strom is the best value for money there.

The only one there that is not a jacked up street bike is the Tenere.

The 1050 / Strom are more nervous off road / gravel than the Tenere.

I bought the tenere for the reason of reliability, toughness and the ability to cope with unpredictable surfaces better than the rest (except the KTM's)

But if you intend to stay on tarmac the Strom would be the best value and the 1050 would be the funnest I think.

The super Ten is a nuclear powered heavy dirt bike not a jacked up street bike so that tells you where it is more biased towards. Still great on road but just a bit less sharp in the twisties.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Masterblaster OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the input gents, I am still on the fence with the DL and S10.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterblaster View Post
Thanks for the input gents, I am still on the fence with the DL and S10.
Having owned a DL1000 and ridden a S10 a fair bit, there is no comparison between the two. The S10 is the better bike in all aspects. The few dollars difference between the two is a wash once you start trying to fix all the weaknesses of the Vee.

2013 Super Tenere
2003 KLX400R
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
The few dollars difference between the two is a wash once you start trying to fix all the weaknesses of the Vee.
Roger that... I paid about $8400 for my DL1000 in 2008, but today's price for the same bike makes me want to spit up my milkshake. And +1 on fixing the weaknesses... I'm the poster boy for that one, up to and including doing my own machine work to fix a chuddering clutch and a poorly designed rear sprocket carrier. Add in the front brakes, the voltage regulator, the headlight relays..., pretty soon it starts to add up even if you enjoy doing upgrades and maintenance.

I have no direct S10 experience but knowing what I now know I'd give the S10 a really close look. And if you still want to go play in the dirt get another dirt-worthy thumper - easier to pick up and cheaper to fix when the inevitable happens.
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I had a Wee Strom in the past, and I now have an S10. To me, the S10 is the best bike I've ever owned. Reliable, easy to work on, enough power to ride any way you want to. It's a very nice bike for the kind of riding you describe.
advD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Masterblaster OP
Adventurer

Again thanks for the info gents, I will head over to the dealer today and check out a S10/ 1050 / and the DL 1000. Will probably come back with some newby questions so please bear with me.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,852
Of the three you're looking at, I'd choose.....the S10 since you're talking about cross-country and assuming that means "all roads" and not just slab, but not before test riding the new Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200. By all accounts the new, bigger Triumph triple has all the goodness of the 1050 triple, just more of everything (more torque, more HP, more FUN!). Still waiting on my local dealer to put one up for demo.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
I have had quite a few of the full sized "Adventure" bikes in the last 10 years. Got the itch real bad a few months back and had to have another one to fill that space in my basement.

After riding and shopping it was narrowed to the Super Tenere and the Triumph Explorer. The Triumph won out for features and my personal comfort.

And I traded my Ultra Classic for it!!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Masterblaster OP
Adventurer

Okay went by the dealers here is what I get on pricing OTD

Tiger SE ABS 1050 $14,839 (light and sporty)
Tenere with side bags15,959 (leaning towards this)
V-Strom 1000 Adventure 11,623 ( Hard to pass up price and credit terms right now)
Tiger Explorer (this bike feels great and has cruise) 17,206

They have a 2010 1050 Tiger SE new for 13,398 OTD

How does the price sound on the S10? remember this is with bags
Old 05-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
advD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
When I got my S10 they were in short supply. I paid $15,000 cash for mine with side bags and DMV fees, OTD. I've since forgotten the price tag since I like the bike so much.
advD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:

V-Strom 1000 Adventure 11,623 ( Hard to pass up price and credit terms right now)

Based on what I've heard re. the Yamaha OEM side bags, you may want to counter with $14,995 minus the bags and get some aftermarket ones that are a bit more durable. THAT would be a killer deal.

Did you get to ride any of them, or just sit test?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:

Seeing as those are OTD figures, they aren't too bad. Go work on them a little harder as there should be another $500 to be gotten off the S10.

2013 Super Tenere
2003 KLX400R
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
Masterblaster OP
Adventurer

Thanks gents I will go back for final bids tomorrow, again this is local, I have no prob flying to anywhere in the US and riding the bike home, (whichever bike it is), so if you know a killer deal please chime in.

"Did you get to ride any of them, or just sit test?"

I just sat tested and started motors but all the dealers were willing to let me ride them, was dressed for work no helmet and gear etc.