Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #31
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer: 379
Hey all would like to let everyone know that we have just picked up or final ride to team TCB

Now don't ask how but we got us a "RINGER" Ed, aka "Bronco Driver" a disabled vet with over 30 years of Baja under his belt!!! We are very proud to have him as part of our team and know that our chances of getting a finish have just went WAYup with him on board!!!

We now have 3 generations of vets that will be riding this years 1000, from Vietnam through today on one team how cool is that!!
Cornbread82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #32
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread82 View Post
Hey all would like to let everyone know that we have just picked up or final ride to team TCB

Now don't ask how but we got us a "RINGER" Ed, aka "Bronco Driver" a disabled vet with over 30 years of Baja under his belt!!! We are very proud to have him as part of our team and know that our chances of getting a finish have just went WAYup with him on board!!!

We now have 3 generations of vets that will be riding this years 1000, from Vietnam through today on one team how cool is that!!

BIG ED is the man!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #33
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB Rider View Post
Hi, I'm Randy, Team TCB (Rider), Baja 1000 For the Wounded. www.RaceForTheWounded.com I live in Colorado Springs, CO and do most of my riding in the mountains on the Cpt. Jacks trail system, with my XR 650R. I was up there last week and couldn’t make it to the top because of a snow drift; next time I'll bring a Shovel.

A couple months ago, Scott (Rider), Team TCB (Taking Care of Business), sent me a message, asking if I would be interested in racing the Baja 1000, to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project. I didn’t hesitate to say yes, but I didn’t realize how much effort that it was going to take; not just for putting together the resources to complete the race, but to raise $50,000!
Scott, Brett (Riders) and I have worked together in the Middle East, protecting government personnel. 3 years out of the past 6, I have spent in the Middle East and I have missed anniversaries, birthdays, weddings and all major holidays. We have all made sacrifices and have seen firsthand, other veterans that have not been as lucky as us, to make it home in one piece; this is why we’re doing it.
Those of you ADV Riders in the Colorado Springs vicinity, on Tuesday night, 6/19/2012, Bristol Brewing Company is hosting a fund raiser for Wounded Warrior Project and they are going to donate $1 for every beer sold that night. In addition, the GM at Bristol’s is going to bartend and he's going is going to donate his tips. Please join us.
Randy
Baja 1000 (Rider)
RaceForTheWounded.com
Randy@RaceForTheWounded.com
Cell: 719-310-2873
Good to see you here Randy. Out little project is really taking off.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #34
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread82 View Post

I second that. Welcome to the team Ed!! Our chances of getting our bike across the finish line just went up exponentially.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
B1k

Thank You . It will be my honor to do what I can to see this endeavor succeed and to honor our Wounded Warriors.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #36
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 493
Hey Ed glad to see you're on board. I'd like to pre-run with you guys if you dont mind . And, my two buddies that chased for me all 3 years want in on the fun too. So, you'll have another chase vehicle if you want it.

Brett, I dug thru my garage and found my radio's. This is what I have:

1 - Yaesu VX-170 (5 watt handheld for the rider to carry)
1- Yaesu FT-2800M (65 watt mobile unit for the chase rig)

I also have an aircraft quality helmet headset w/boom mic, harness and handlebar mounted PTT button. Not really necessary but kinda fun to have .

Anyhow, you are welcome to use whatever you like.

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 06:22 PM
AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I too have a radio,Mobil,for my Jeep and can get another maybe 2. 45 watt.on the one and the other is 100 watt.
When the 100 watt is used the vehicle using it shoes sign of microwave abuse
Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #38
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Hooah

Not sure if this will help or not in your endeavor, but...I live in Columbus, GA right now ( ewwwww ) and will be moving hopefully soon further south ( Mobile ). That said, my team ( 2 of us, and our pit crew ) "raced" the B1K in 09, and early on in the race I sent the bike cliff diving and could not go on. Bones can be such fickle things.

When it comes time to head to Ensenada, and you find yourself short a pre run bike, look me up if need be. I have an 05 XR650R I will happily loan you if you promise to bring it back. It's my only bike, my race bike, and it has been worked over pretty well. Great suspension, everything essentially you have to do anyway, has been done. I have a few races to do between now and then, so I can't promise what shape it will be in when the time comes, but again, you are welcome to it to pre run with. We came up short a bike when we got there, and had to rent a huge piece of shit to pre run with, and it was not a good time.

Because of the connection not only of having been a brother in arms ( I did boot and AIT at Benning, swore I would never go back ) but also the connection a lot of us have come to know on this website, I'm happy to help where I can.
The best place for you to train locally ( I think you said you were nearby, right? ) is the Kentuck Trail complex in Talledega. It's about an hour and half away, and is the closest thing to racing on the moon ( Baja ) that you will find here. It's a two way trail, with animals ( turkey and deer ) that will run beside you and tell you how slow you are, and when you get fast and complacent, an atv will come around the corner and scare you again. I searched high and low for a local place to train, and it's the best I found, and it's cheap, and often vacant.
Anyway, when the time comes, look me up here if you need another pre running bike. Gotcha covered.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #39
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.G. View Post
Not sure if this will help or not in your endeavor, but...I live in Columbus, GA right now ( ewwwww ) and will be moving hopefully soon further south ( Mobile ). That said, my team ( 2 of us, and our pit crew ) "raced" the B1K in 09, and early on in the race I sent the bike cliff diving and could not go on. Bones can be such fickle things.

When it comes time to head to Ensenada, and you find yourself short a pre run bike, look me up if need be. I have an 05 XR650R I will happily loan you if you promise to bring it back. It's my only bike, my race bike, and it has been worked over pretty well. Great suspension, everything essentially you have to do anyway, has been done. I have a few races to do between now and then, so I can't promise what shape it will be in when the time comes, but again, you are welcome to it to pre run with. We came up short a bike when we got there, and had to rent a huge piece of shit to pre run with, and it was not a good time.

Because of the connection not only of having been a brother in arms ( I did boot and AIT at Benning, swore I would never go back ) but also the connection a lot of us have come to know on this website, I'm happy to help where I can.
The best place for you to train locally ( I think you said you were nearby, right? ) is the Kentuck Trail complex in Talledega. It's about an hour and half away, and is the closest thing to racing on the moon ( Baja ) that you will find here. It's a two way trail, with animals ( turkey and deer ) that will run beside you and tell you how slow you are, and when you get fast and complacent, an atv will come around the corner and scare you again. I searched high and low for a local place to train, and it's the best I found, and it's cheap, and often vacant.
Anyway, when the time comes, look me up here if you need another pre running bike. Gotcha covered.
MAG,

That is great man, as of now I think we have it covered on bikes but you never know!!!! Who are you with at Benning? After 20 years in I will tell you that if you are in the INF. you will never get away from Ft. Beginning!!!LOL
What race's do you have coming up?? I will be out of country again for the month of June but will be back and would like to run a few Scrambles or Enduros!

I am going to check Kentuck out, also going to go to Highland Park to do some riding. I am about 45 min north of you in Thomaston, ever want to go for a ride let me know.

Brett

Andy we will put the radio to good use, we can just use it in your chase truck and setup the head set during the pre run if you think that would be good. I think that having commo with the trucks is key and with the rider would be a big plus!!

Cornbread82 screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 04:32 AM Reason: add to post
Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #40
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Nah, I ETS'd in 94 if that tells you anything. Wound up back here out of pure coincidence, lucky me. And my experience pales in comparison to those listed on your website even though I was an 11B.

Highland Park is fun. Lots to do, but also a lot of people around. It's a good time. But Kentuck, will train you.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #41
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Quote:
Nah, I ETS'd in 94 if that tells you anything. Wound up back here out of pure coincidence, lucky me. And my experience pales in comparison to those listed on your website even though I was an 11B.

Highland Park is fun. Lots to do, but also a lot of people around. It's a good time. But Kentuck, will train you.
Cool I think I might go out tomorrow and take a look at it.

Thanks again,
Brett
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #42
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Quote:

Hey MAG,

We really appreciate the offer but like Brett said, I think we're good on bikes for now. We'll definitely keep you in mind if something happens to one of our pre-run bikes.

I'm hoping to meet up at Brett's house in August. Maybe we can get together for a ride. We'd live to pick your brain about the Baja.

Thanks again brother,
Scott
Old 05-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #43
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Hey all I am very happy to announce that KLIM has agreed to help us with our Wounded Warrior project!!! KLIM is going to help outfit us for the Baja, and I can think of no other gear that I would rather use. Mark at KLIM was a great, knowing that all but one of our riders are Baja noobs he went the extra mile to help us so we can help the Wounded Warriors!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #44
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,522
Congrats Brett! You guys are more prepared now than some teams are on race day!
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #45
Cornbread82 OP
Sir Crash A Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Congrats Brett! You guys are more prepared now than some teams are on race day!
I don't even know what to say to that Tony I don't think we even close to being ready but thanks man, how is it going getting ready for the 500? I wish that I could make it down to help you out, but I will be back at work. I do think that we are going to get down in Aug. (man is that going to be hot) to do some riding so we can get a feel for what we have got ourselves into.