ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #6826
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
WB, I appreciate you dropping that tag very well within range of a short window I had, but unfortunately the wife left early and got home late. The customer was busy all day so I didnt get to go recheck their AC. Guess thats for Tuesday... Ended up getting pretty busy from noon Saturday until about an hour and a half ago. I dont know how some of you guys do it, work, AND tag? I dont have a job and sometimes still cant find time to ride
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #6827
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,093
I rode a Harley down at myrtle beach. Even rode a trike. Hehe.

Sooooo not for me. Amusing part was guy telling me "how fast the hd would seem coming from anything else" I tried explaining what a 954rr was, but he assured me there was no inline four that could accelerate like a twin.

He was wrong. :)
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #6828
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
I rode a Harley down at myrtle beach. Even rode a trike. Hehe.

Sooooo not for me. Amusing part was guy telling me "how fast the hd would seem coming from anything else" I tried explaining what a 954rr was, but he assured me there was no inline four that could accelerate like a twin.

He was wrong. :)
What is it with these guys? Have they been fed the party line so long they actually believe it? Or are they just stupid as f'k right out of the gate?

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #6829
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
What is it with these guys? Have they been fed the party line so long they actually believe it? Or are they just stupid as f'k right out of the gate?
I think they just hear the "no replacement for displacement" line one too many times and snap. I mean, don't get me wrong, it had LOTS of torque, and it "felt" like it had grunt, but there is a reason the fastest race bikes are, well, RACE BIKES.
My bike's making ~70-75 torques (yes, i'm using the plural cause I snicker when they do that on top gear) from ~4k up to 12500. Fairly flat torque curve through that range. The only weird thing is at ~3k rpm my bike has like 3 torques and 1 hp. (seriously, complete friggin dead spot. It's painfully embarrassing)
A "lightly modified" HD, will make ~85 torques from 2k up to ~5k. Peaking around 3500, and dropping off to 55/65 ish at the ends. (I've played with dyno's. weeee)
My bike is NOT "overly fast" compared to a modern liter bike, and in fact will get embarrassed by the newest s1000s R1s, etc.

of course I'd make a joke about noise here, and HD's converting gasoline to noise without all that worthless horsepower, but I think with my bike I can't talk about loud exhausts. :(
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #6830
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,259
Quote:
I think they just hear the "no replacement for displacement" line one too many times and snap. I mean, don't get me wrong, it had LOTS of torque, and it "felt" like it had grunt, but there is a reason the fastest race bikes are, well, RACE BIKES.
My bike's making ~70-75 torques (yes, i'm using the plural cause I snicker when they do that on top gear) from ~4k up to 12500. Fairly flat torque curve through that range. The only weird thing is at ~3k rpm my bike has like 3 torques and 1 hp. (seriously, complete friggin dead spot. It's painfully embarrassing)
A "lightly modified" HD, will make ~85 torques from 2k up to ~5k. Peaking around 3500, and dropping off to 55/65 ish at the ends. (I've played with dyno's. weeee)
My bike is NOT "overly fast" compared to a modern liter bike, and in fact will get embarrassed by the newest s1000s R1s, etc.

of course I'd make a joke about noise here, and HD's converting gasoline to noise without all that worthless horsepower, but I think with my bike I can't talk about loud exhausts. :(

Yep. You ought to see the torques my 600cc (or whatever) Briggs and Stratton lawnmower makes.

Early on, a HD guy that had no pretensions of what they are/were explained it best: don't think muscle car, think John Deere.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #6831
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
yes, but just think about how much faster you could be on the honda! Reclaim that wasted energy!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #6832
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
While I've never been in Perry's, my boss has been going there for years and highly recommends them.
My opinion is the opposite but just one experience. I hate it when people look at you and think you know nothing then try to tell you that what you are asking fore doesn't exist just before trying to sell you on something that is not what you were asking for.

But again, just one experience. I walked out and took my business down the street to the Knightdale Pawn shop where the person behind the counter listened to me when I stated my purchase criterion and then found me what I wanted at a very good price without any hassle. I walked out of the Knightdale Pawn shop feeling very good about my shopping experience whence I walked out of Perrys in disgust.

Probly won't ever go back to Perrys, even to pick up ammo. Once bitten...

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #6833
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

What is the current tag?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #6834
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
What is the current tag?
I think it's over at the coast, right

general store thingy a few replies back? Flag out front. Motorcycle on the porch.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #6835
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
What is the current tag?
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=6907

That thing. I think it's somewhere in the mountains.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #6836
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
There are entire websites and forums out there that are convinced that a Sportster, when properly tuned, will outrun and outhandle any sportbike! It's just idiocy and walking through life with blinders on.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #6837
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
There are entire websites and forums out there that are convinced that a Sportster, when properly tuned, will outrun and outhandle any sportbike! It's just idiocy and walking through life with blinders on.
I'm happily trolling HD forums now. I need to get done with this work, so I can go ride.
Still, even with my fat ass riding the 954, and a friggin jockey on the HD, I'd be less weight, and more power.
Maybe a RC kit for the HD?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #6838
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

That's it. I'm going to get another Sporster, farkle it out, and prove that HD is the BEST bike ever made.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #6839
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,681
Quote:
That's it. I'm going to get another Sporster, farkle it out, and prove that HD is the BEST bike ever made.

I have seen somebody in texas who has a HD Dirtster...seriously an ADV rider who is a real character...turned his sportster into a dual sport...
heres the reference...in Post 2526 and subsequent discussion...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...88842&page=169

2001 Honda ST1100...STOC#7000
1979 Yamaha XS1100F Go Your Own Way
"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond

STBNE screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 02:48 PM
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #6840
chainslap
BlessedarethesicK

Oddometer: 745

Archer Lodge grab. C E Barns store at covered bridge and buffalo. New tag in a bit.
chainslap is offline   Reply With Quote