User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
lockyv7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Will these fit a R100GS

Found these, have been told its a KLX400 front end but not sure and dont know any more about size or year. Did some googleing and it seems the KLX400 and DRZ400 are almost the same bike and if thats what they are then its not a big job to mount them up to a GS. I did think that the DRZ400 forks were a conventual fork not inverted like these.

lockyv7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockyv7 View Post
Found these, have been told its a KLX400 front end but not sure and dont know any more about size or year. Did some googleing and it seems the KLX400 and DRZ400 are almost the same bike and if thats what they are then its not a big job to mount them up to a GS. I did think that the DRZ400 forks were a conventual fork not inverted like these.
Anything can be MADE to fit

The things to look for are stem size & length, & triple clamp offset (the difference between parallel lined notionally drawn between the middle of the fork cap & the steering stem. If the offset is too small you will lose steering lock.

BMW runs 38mm offset. I have YZF forks on Gus (91 R100GS), with 25-26mm offset, but run an HPN tank, & no fairing, so clearance is not as critical.

If those forks would fit up to a DR650 (dunno) then it would be a similar project to one of the 'Unholy' threads. I also think there was a thread a wee while ago where someone in UK or Ireland converted a R100GSPD to run DRZ forks.

You'd also need to shorten them, look at what axles, wheels & brakes you would run etc. Also what happens with the steering lock.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 11:07 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
lockyv7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
I am thinking these are KLX300 forks and that would make them a 43mm fork and not the larger fork that is fitted to the klx400.
I know all about the offset and if needed i can machine a new stem and press that in.
lockyv7 is online now   Reply With Quote