Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
There is also period novel called "The Iron Trail" covers the history & thinly disguises the characters that built the railroad and copper mine.
Good call Beezer. A classic by Rex Beach, published around 1904, I believe.

One of my favorites of all time is "Ancient Men of the Arctic" by J. Louis Giddings. He was an anthropologist or archaelologist who did his Ph.D. research in western Alaska in the 40's and 50's. He died young and his wife completed the book, published around 1961. Giddings found around 600 ancient houses on the coast between Unalakleet and Selawik, built in waves showing the timeline of the Bering migration. A little known fact is that Giddings also found Onion Portage, and dug down to about 15 layers of civilization at a spot where - I believe it was on the Kobuk River - caribou were caught in their annual migration.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
Melozi
Quote:
Would you send your teenager into the Alaska wilderness to work for people you never met? On June 9, 1973, 16-year-old Michael Travis put an advertisement in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner looking for work. What he got was more than he bargained for. Michael accepted an offer to help an older couple build a lodge at Melozi Hot Springs--a remote camp north of the Yukon River. The couple is shocked when they see a boy step out of the bush plane, instead of a capable man they sorely needed. Michael must prove his worth and learns quickly this beautiful land can turn deadly handing out hard lessons. Confronted with bears, hordes of mosquitoes, and the realization he is truly on his own, Michael gradually earns his place among his employers and becomes an Alaskan.
This book is a look at life in AK about the time I was born! Back in college I dated the daughter of one of Melozi's owners , so I'm kinda fascinated with the place. The determination necessary to build a civilized life hundreds of miles out in the bush is impressive.

Yukon Murders
Deadly Detail
Happy Hour

Murder mysteries set in the Yukon/Kuskokwim Delta of western Alaska. Written by a former bush pilot, they're fun stories.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #18
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,238
If you want to read about life in the the far north many years ago, or just a damn good book, I highly recommend the book ‘Fifty Years Below Zero’ by Charles Brower.
[quote=Billy Neakok] ..the first crook who was up here.[quote]
There are many of Brower’s decedents still in Barrow.
The saga of the wreck of the ship Navarch is particularly compelling when you consider, per Brower, that the wife of that ships captain did not want to anchor in the same harbor where another ship was already anchored that also had it’s captain’s wife on board. Apparently the Navarch’s captain’s wife really didn’t like the other woman.
They moved on, which led to serious disaster, much suffering & loss of lives.

Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
Glacier Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
My vote is for the 1000 mile war, a great military history of WWII in Alaska.
Glacier Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 669
Another one comes to mind if you are into mountaineering at all: Minus 148 which is abouit the first winter ascent of Denali.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Another one comes to mind if you are into mountaineering at all: Minus 148 which is abouit the first winter ascent of Denali.
+1 Good one! And if the opportunity presents itself, I can introduce you to the author, Art Davidson. We've known each other for years. He's renowned singer Jewel's uncle as well as best buds with The Grateful Dead, hanging on their ranch down south and all.

Art and I helped perpetuate the "in AK you don't loose your girl, you loose your turn" thing when I introduced him to a gf and she ended up moving in with him. lol Yes, he and I are still friends. She went on to marry another guy up in Fairbanks, have a kid, then get a divorce.

HEY, maybe I should aughta write a book! Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 12:46 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,125
I have read some of the books that have been recommended, and now have ideas for more interesting books to read. Thanks! Here are a few more excellent books:

“Fifty Miles From Tomorrow,” by William Hensley (excellent sort of "historical" read, from a Native perspective)

“Ordinary Wolves” and “Shopping for Porcupine,” by Seth Kanter (I wish I could write as well as he does!)

“Two in the Far North,” by Margaret Murie

“EXTREME CONDITIONS: Big Oil and the Transformation of Alaska,” by John Strohmeyer

“To the Top of Denali,” by Bill Sherwonit
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #23
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
'Witcher' by Bill Fry
story is (semi) fiction, set in Anchor Point.
Another:
'New York to Nome'
by R. Steber. epic adventure, the real McCoy, 1920-ish

Full Power screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 06:15 PM Reason: new
Full Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
worthydog OP
Shosholoza

Oddometer: 458
thank you all. some great ideas. now to see what's available on tape for the ride
worthydog is offline   Reply With Quote