User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
AKTobias OP
Frugal Badass

Oddometer: 239
SuperMOTO may want to get DIRT SHOES

I just picked up an 07 DRZ400 Super Motard last weekend from a fella in Fairbanks and rode through snow in Cantwell to get it home ... and while I like the cool look and the knobbies that are already on it, I THINK I want traditional 21/18 wheel setup.

So I either need you guys to explain why wider, smaller tires would be just fine in the dirt and slop ... or I need someone who wants a supermoto setup with brand new knobby tires on it.

If you have a DRZ and would be interested, I'd like to swap kickstands, discs, tires, wheels ... the whole shebang. My wheels are black with chrome spokes ... and look pretty knarly with the wide knobby tires.

If you have input on riding dirt with SM wheels ... then say on!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,510
I've got two KTM sumo bikes. They're different rides and fun as hell but they aren't a dirtbike. The suspension isn't probably going to be what you're expecting if you swap out to an 18/21.

Turn quick, accelerate quick, stop on a dime on the street with dirtbike agility but they aren't a dirtbike. Try tossing a set of different tires on before you get too far. I'd check w/ Barb or Doug.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
AKTobias OP
Frugal Badass

Here is what the front looketh like (though not this exact tread):

Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,081
My kids' WR250X has the same setup and the handling in the gravel is "twitchy" to say the least. Does great on the road, though! I'd make the switch and, if you can afford it, KEEP the sumo gear for the occasional twisties run!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
Since I changed my WR250R over to sumo wheels (stock setup from the X) in mid 2011, I've been stuck exactly two times. Once was on purpose, needed a rest when I was running the Michaux Dual Sport back home doing one of the options:

Here's some of the rest of the course

Basically the options were almost all either snowmachine trails or mountain bike single track that were open twice a year to motorcycles, once for the dual sport and once for the enduro. Admittedly I kept to the C options only, and yes I had to ride at a much slower pace than I did the year before when I had a full 21/18 knobby setup, but I got through it, had a ton of fun, and still passed quite a few big bikes in the woods.

The second time I got stuck was in Arizona, trying to finish the sheeps bridge route...

as far as I got...

Otherwise, I've had plenty of fun and not real traction issues running straight street tires on gravel, dirt, mud, even a deep sand.

Saline Valley road (Death Valley NP)

Out in the Mohave

Arizona

Oklahoma

And hell, off little forest road off the Parks Highway

Biggest thing you have to do with street tires is keep momentum up, try not to be quite as aggressive as you would be with a 21" front, and and get used to both ends of the bike sliding around a lot. Of course if your DRZ is going to be used primarily as a dirt bike, sure go ahead and get a 21/18 combo because that will ultimately run better off road but if you're dual sporting, I say keep the 17's. You're really not giving up all that much traction when its dry, and there's not really any traction to give up when its wet anyway, compound trumps tread design I've found but ymmv.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
Oh, and if you do want to just get a second set of wheels, a lot of the WR guys seems to like Warp 9. Good prices, good looking wheels, built pretty quick and shipped quick down south. You could always just get a 21" front and run the stock 17" rear with an aggressive DOT knob like a Dunlop D606.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
AKTobias OP
Frugal Badass

Isn't that some type of faux pas to run a dirt 21 tire up front and a 17 in back? Granted it's only an in shorter to keep that fat 17 on the back. And less swapover time too! Maybe that's a routE I should go. I'm riding it this weekend out toward petersville so we'll see how she does on dirt. I'll take pics too
Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTobias View Post
Isn't that some type of faux pas to run a dirt 21 tire up front and a 17 in back?

Noop. Primary reason to swap to an 18" rear is the greater selection of tires with a dirt focus.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
21-17 setups: KLR 650, DR 650, BMW F650, that's just off the top of my head. It works just fine. Your 17 selection of knobs is quite a bit more limited, MT21, TKC, MT60 etc.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote