Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #31
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,582
Anybody that uses the cartridge trick remember to put a glove on before you transfer that cartridge's load into your tire. The temp of that cartridge during the transfer will get freakishly cold almost faster than you can register it.

Not like... "hey, that's weird" cold. More like "HOLY CRAP" cold and will feel like it's going to burn your fingers... and it might.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #32
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 855
thanks!

I carry both CO2 and an electric pump but I had not even thought about the rope trick and seating issues, but I am sure you are right. WD40 trick sounds exciting too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Kinda depends on which bike... for the KLR I carry an electric pump because it has tubes. On the dirt I drop to 18psi if it's a long run or it's sloppy. On the pave I run 30ish.

On my GS, I just leave the pressure alone. For repairs I carry a tubeless plug kit and CO2 carts around town & close in rides with friends, etc. If I go on the road for longer trips I take the pump and CO2, and a piece of rope or strap to make a Spanish windlass. It can be tough to seat a tubeless tire if it's off the rim. The pump doesn't make enough volume to do the job unless you are pretty good at forcing a seal to the wheel. The CO2 might be better, but you still need a pretty good initial seal. To get a seal, I put a loop of rope around the tread (running surface) of the tire, insert a stick and twist it tight until the beads touch the rim evenly, then air it up. Been meaning to try the ether/WD40 trick.... for those that don't know.... shoot ether into the tire & light it, it explodes & jumps right up on the rim. seen it on a video & seemed to work good.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote