Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #61
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 108
While I don't want to stifle the discussion here, we did get the forum up at AMGRASS. Already have a few members, and 21 topics in 2 days....... not a bad start. All you folks are welcome to join in the discussion:

American Motorcycle Gymkhana Forum

Quite a few technical discussions going on currently

dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #62
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
dredman: signed up.

Harvey Krumpet: neck wasn't really bothering me at all to be honest. Maybe double check your body position in the turn. I found that leaning in with the chest to the mirror, gets rid of twisted up posture, something like this.

and gets me more like this:

With this its easier to twist your head backwards to search for the next cone.

Elessar: will measure it up next time I'm out. I dont' think it needs to be anything precise, unless you want to compare time with others running same patters. Whatever works for you and your skill level. Plus this pattern can be improved quite a bit as it doesn't have many fast bends, mostly just technical, twisting stuff. But yea, I'll measure it up next time.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #63
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Gp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=Z8FnJGY9Pdw#!

Read description of the video. 26 second is best time. Dimensions are shown in the beginning. Should be a good benchmark to start posting times and compare skills.

Running 8's is best exercise to get into this. Courses are fun, but 8's definitely hone all the needed skills. Braking, body posture, bike handling, throttle, head.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #64
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z8FnJGY9Pdw#!

Read description of the video. 26 second is best time. Dimensions are shown in the beginning. Should be a good benchmark to start posting times and compare skills.

Running 8's is best exercise to get into this. Courses are fun, but 8's definitely hone all the needed skills. Braking, body posture, bike handling, throttle, head.
Yup, I practice full lock 8's trying to have a fast transition, lock to lock, no straightening up in the middle. I'm not worried about pace yet just the technique. It's the tightness of the turn which makes me look over my shoulder, I'm doing full lock circles in opposite directions on a 5m road & have to keep my head turning through the arc until I transition. Or mount the kerb if I hesitate......
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #65
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Or mount the kerb if I hesitate......
hahaha, I can really appreciate this, as one who has done just that, previously.

I was thinking that someday we might have chapter competitions, but in the meantime, if we can run very similar patterns and compare times, we can have some web competitions between groups/riders. Could make things just a bit more interesting.

I've joined the AMGRASS forum too. Pretty cool how this is beginning to take off...
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #66
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 897
Gotta love me a good gymkhana run. I've got tons more respect for that than those squidding yahoo's you see on youtube everywhere... it shows control like nothing else
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #67
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 857
This is something I'm definitely interested in. I've been noticing that my riding skills have been fading out like the center tread on my rear tire. And I've been trying to find reasons to ride other than a trip to Harbor Freight 20 miles away. These skills would certainly help with my commute through NYC.

These vids would also be good to show in basic rider courses as a "Look what's possible" and to illustrate techniques like "where you look is where you go" and head/body position.

It'd also be fun to throw around my GS and amaze my friends.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #68
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
This is something I'm definitely interested in. I've been noticing that my riding skills have been fading out like the center tread on my rear tire. And I've been trying to find reasons to ride other than a trip to Harbor Freight 20 miles away. These skills would certainly help with my commute through NYC.

These vids would also be good to show in basic rider courses as a "Look what's possible" and to illustrate techniques like "where you look is where you go" and head/body position.

It'd also be fun to throw around my GS and amaze my friends.
It was an eye opener for me after 30 odd years of riding to watch a guy scraping the pegs on his 1400cc kwaka at walking pace.
I feel a lot more involved riding the bike now that I practice these techniques. I'm consciously putting them into practice all the time, rather than the years I have been quite happily riding habitually.
It is very cool pulling out of parking spot & doing a full lock leaned over u-turn while my mates are paddling their bikes around. Most of them were invited to do the training but felt they had nothing to learn..... Suckers!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #69
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
It is very cool pulling out of parking spot & doing a full lock leaned over u-turn while my mates are paddling their bikes around. Most of them were invited to do the training but felt they had nothing to learn..... Suckers!
That's a huge reason I want to learn this stuff. I haven't ridden with my friends in a while (life...) and would love to blow their minds with just such a maneuver next time we hit the road together.

Question: Is there a two-up version of this?

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #70
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
That's a huge reason I want to learn this stuff. I haven't ridden with my friends in a while (life...) and would love to blow their minds with just such a maneuver next time we hit the road together.

Question: Is there a two-up version of this?
Well, if somebody has the clangers to hang onto the back of Mick Doohan round a race track I'm sure somebody would do the same for gymkhana. Find somebody small & brave with a velcro arse.

The guy who teaches me did some very tight stuff with my gf on the back of his Revere. Clever sod did a full 360 on a very wet, steep hill. The lean angle was ridiculous when he was leaning into the slope.

Gonna take me awhile to get that confident.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #71
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 108
We encourage two up.

Ride the bike you ride everyday

Ride the way you ride, no need to buy a special "gymkhana bike"

dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #72
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Ahh, using a trailer! Cheating no?

Is the pillion reading out course notes? "Left! I said left!"

Seriously, very cool. I like.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #73
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

MotoMind: ran your course today. Fun! It was a good change of pace for me, from my more twisting and slower setups. I liked it. One thing I noticed, is that it favors left turns a lot. I ended up running it and its mirror one after another. Which turned out GREAT !
I was also able to find a larger spot, and setup a full 100 foot course.
Unfortunately didn't film it as my tank got empty and by the time I filled up and came back, it was dark and there are no lights on that parking lot. Ended up running 8's for two hours under two lamp lights on a different lot.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #74
nulluser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I bought a set of Shinko 705's (which are some pretty low end tires) and it made a world of difference. I only have the front mounted currently, but it front end no longer washes out no matter how much I lean. Makes the KLR feel like a little moto GP bike.
nulluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #75
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Ahh, using a trailer! Cheating no?

Is the pillion reading out course notes? "Left! I said left!"

Seriously, very cool. I like.
Pillion used the ride to get her stomach in the game, instead of letting it tell her things were impossible/strang/bad at those angles. She gained confidence.

He can carve DS, supersport, or, as you see, a 1000 lb goldwing with 200 lb trailer, like nobodys business.

The main focus here is getting you (the collective) out on your bikes and hitting the locks. The fun comes very quickly, the skills shine later, and often. The grins.... hell I still have one plastered this morning.

Go ride !