Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #1201
Davonat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
Crack me up, what a bunch of titty babies. If you dont like you bike then sell it and get something's better suited for your pace.. These are race bikes made street legal and not WR's Drz's or KLR's.

The snatchiness with all the folks I have been around is due to one of two things

1. them not knowing how to use a manual transmission properly. A combination of incorrect gear selecton and incorrect RPM. Screws with alot of folks.
"OR"............ A Race bike that comes to us SO DE-TUNED to pass emissions..... That it runs like crap and flames out on you..... at an RPM that it shouldnt!! and doesnt on thier other models with the same engine........ Thats why JD and others make products to fix this
Davonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #1202
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
premium

from day one, flame outs before desmog, no flame out after desmog and raised idle. premium here in north tx ranges from 91-93 and I use an ethanol treatment in my gas.

It was asked earlier in the thread if we should combine this thread with others that were started for XC-W. I for one said merge them so we could have all info in one place... it was said that exc and xcw are SAME bike and motor except for emissions crap. I don't have flame outs any more, runs like a scalded cat on the gas. BUT, unless we know the map number, and I have read that the maps for exc and xcw ARE DIFFERENT, then the folks running xcw have no idea what the folks running the exc are feeling with their bikes, unless they have ridden one.

I wanted a "motorcycle" with a plate from the dealer. I thought it was interesting that I man with the skills to finish Dakar, got rid of this bike because he felt it needed some work. I'm sure that the factory riders get their bikes so dialed in that it would make us all wish for a ride, but we have to pass emission for a 50 state legal motorcycle and that is what we ended up with.

That is what this forum is for, bragging, venting, bitching, whatever. So to each their own. I will continue to try to smooth mine out so that a ride on the street is more pleasent FOR ME. And I know that as soon as I get on the gas, in any gear up to fourth so far, the wheel is gonna come off the ground. And I like that! Lord help me if a get a SUMO set up... these dual sports tires have made me bad enough.

On another note, got my KTM 13l tank and HDB kit on tonight. I do like how the riser for the sub mount stabilizer changes the position... much better standing on pegs now.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #1203
CJ500exc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
flame out

How to cure 500 exc flameout problems
Advancing your tps closed throttle value to .640 volts instead of the specified .601 volts will get rid of flame outs. Now I imagine there is a range of voltages that will work, but .640 volts is where I ended up. The jd tuner will usually make it better but not get rid of flameout. Try this for yourself. Pull the cover off of tps, mark position of sensor so you can return it to original position. Loosen torx screw just enough to be able to rotate tps. Start bike, if you have a tuner put it back to recommended settings for idle and low speed. Rotate tps ccw very very slightly. You should notice the engine smoothing out-(if you go to far it will get slightly rougher again) tighten screw -- test ride-- night and day difference. Now to set tps properly here is a link to a tps setting tool.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=440540&hl=

My tps is set to .640 volts.closed throttle and will still get to 3.8 volts at full throttle, as it should.
You can now chug the engine down to nothing and not fear the flameout. Being a light flywheel it obviously doesn't chug like an rfs, but thats the tradeoff for throttle response and handling.

CJ500exc screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 09:20 PM
CJ500exc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #1204
Davonat
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ500exc View Post
Advancing your tps closed throttle value to .640 volts instead of the specified .601 volts will get rid of flame outs. Now I imagine there is a range of voltages that will work, but .640 volts is where I ended up. The jd tuner will usually make it better but not get rid of flameout. Try this for yourself. Pull the cover off of tps, mark position of sensor so you can return it to original position. Loosen torx screw just enough to be able to rotate tps. Start bike, if you have a tuner put it back to recommended settings for idle and low speed. Rotate tps ccw very very slightly. You should notice the engine smoothing out-(if you go to far it will get slightly rougher again) tighten screw -- test ride-- night and day difference. Now to set tps properly here is a link to a tps setting tool.

My tps is set to .640 volts.closed throttle and will still get to 3.8 volts at full throttle, as it should.
You can now chug the engine down to nothing and not fear the flameout. Being a light flywheel it obviously doesn't chug like an rfs, but thats the tradeoff for throttle response and handling.

Now this is GREAT information!!!! Instead of telling us we are wrong and dont know how to ride. Thank You so much!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #1205
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,196
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
from day one, flame outs before desmog, no flame out after desmog and raised idle. premium here in north tx ranges from 91-93 and I use an ethanol treatment in my gas.

It was asked earlier in the thread if we should combine this thread with others that were started for XC-W. I for one said merge them so we could have all info in one place... it was said that exc and xcw are SAME bike and motor except for emissions crap. I don't have flame outs any more, runs like a scalded cat on the gas. BUT, unless we know the map number, and I have read that the maps for exc and xcw ARE DIFFERENT, then the folks running xcw have no idea what the folks running the exc are feeling with their bikes, unless they have ridden one.

I wanted a "motorcycle" with a plate from the dealer. I thought it was interesting that I man with the skills to finish Dakar, got rid of this bike because he felt it needed some work. I'm sure that the factory riders get their bikes so dialed in that it would make us all wish for a ride, but we have to pass emission for a 50 state legal motorcycle and that is what we ended up with.

That is what this forum is for, bragging, venting, bitching, whatever. So to each their own. I will continue to try to smooth mine out so that a ride on the street is more pleasent FOR ME. And I know that as soon as I get on the gas, in any gear up to fourth so far, the wheel is gonna come off the ground. And I like that! Lord help me if a get a SUMO set up... these dual sports tires have made me bad enough.

On another note, got my KTM 13l tank and HDB kit on tonight. I do like how the riser for the sub mount stabilizer changes the position... much better standing on pegs now.

Man where do I begin, I am glad you got the tank and other bits on.

I have been on the NEW EXC’s as well and they are just like my SE and SMT were PRE Ectomy.

Here is where I start to get confused. Guys are saying they wanted to buy a street legal bike form the dealership that is “50 State Legal”. No what is the first they thing they do “Strip of the Emmsions stuff” So much for 50 State Legal now Then even after they get the stuff off the bikes don’t run as good as they expect and have mapping Issues becasue the EXC maps were set for the emissions stuf they have removed. One the carb'd bikes this was a somwhat easy fix BUT on FI it isnt that simple. Some guys now spend more money and get a XCW ECU and get to where they want to be, while others start messing with other bits to get it where the XCW already is.

When all along “aside from CA only I beleive but am not 100% sure” you can get a street legal XCW from a lot of dealers as well. Plus you will have less into it than the EXC. What I am seeing a lot is guys not taking the time to think things through. I wish guys would do the math.

I too thought it was curious that NED ditched the 500 so soon, but judging from the limited info available he also did MODs to the bike that are not conducive to mechanical reliability. The guy has a whole stable of carb’d bikes that he can work on “in his sleep, upside down, one hand behind his back and in a vacuum and still make them run like raped apes. I am guessing deep down he just prefers to stay with what he knows. Which is COMPLETELY respectable.

In your case bud you are going to have some fine tweeking to do and while the G2 throttle cam will most assuredly get you were you want to be daily reaction wise you will lose the LIFT ability you so affectionately mention above as being a positive thing. That Snap or twitch that is getting your wheel up will be toned down substantially.

BRAD none of this is meant towards you sir.

ABYSS screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 04:29 AM
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #1206
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ500exc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonat View Post
Now this is GREAT information!!!! Instead of telling us we are wrong and dont know how to ride. Thank You so much!!!
read again what is highlighter above, These are a whole new engine design and you new that coming into it. If you didnt that is your fault no one else's.You are missing the big point, it is new and nothing is perfect instead of being part of the problem be apart of the soluition. Quit getting your panites in a wad and read what I wrote again and stop being such a baby,

It is a learning curve for EVERYONE!

Also thanks CJ500EXC for sharing that is what all of this is about

I didnt say you didnt know how to ride I said you didnt know how to use a manual transmission.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #1207
5hunge
Banned

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
For oil I went with the 10/60 synthetic (listed in the manual for extreme use) because it's what I use in the SXV and it just made sense to have one kind of engine oil around. As for the seat, mine has a factory notch that relieves the battery/frame ground. I have the stock seat still too..
thanks Dirty in all, i dropped my pp seat back to the dealer to check....he checked it on 5 other 500 EXC's and found all of them interfeared with the seat (even with the recess) he said he has written to KTM and informed them of the issue... thing is i gave my girl a bath today whooot whhewww
while i was there i had a squiz at the setup turns out the mechanic assembling the bikes has the earth wire running off at a funny angle all i had to do was loosen turn the wire 90deg and whalla sall gud

decided to check the cam shafts today sall gud both @ 12
yes im lazy yes i left the tank on

as far a a throttle cam goes NO THANKS the instantaneous throttle response is why I bought THIS bike
5hunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #1208
Davonat
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
read again what is highlighter above, These are a whole new engine design and you new that coming into it. If you didnt that is your fault no one else's.You are missing the big point, it is new and nothing is perfect instead of being part of the problem be apart of the soluition. Quit getting your panites in a wad and read what I wrote again and stop being such a baby,

It is a learning curve for EVERYONE!

Also thanks CJ500EXC for sharing that is what all of this is about

I didnt say you didnt know how to ride I said you didnt know how to use a manual transmission.
I dont see what point I was missing.... All I wanted to know is how to fix this flameout issue. There obviously is an issue because I am not the only one to have it & have found someone who knows how to fix it. This is great. In JD's tuner discriptiom it says- Fixes low rpm flameout. yes it has been many years since I rode "Pro" Im in my 50's now... but have riden many differant bikes.....since I was about 6yrs old. I think my first race was on a Hodaka.. I grew up in S. California. Raced at Carlsbad Raceway alot. I do know how to use a manual motorcycle transmission. Now if you wanna call me an ol' fossilized turd... I dont care..... You are the 1 who came out of the blue with an unrelated to anything post saying you didnt like what we were asking or saying...As long as useful information is spread to guys, thats cool. Im sure the info I found here will definately benifit all. Keep the seat side up & happy landings Davo

Davonat screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 01:34 AM
Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #1209
5hunge
Banned

i dont know who neduro is and why he went to the 450 although im sure he has his reasons, BUT I do know who toby price is, and this is what the 500 EXC really goes like, enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=60-lYyMId-k&gl=US
Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #1210
KneEkolaaS
n00b

Oddometer: 6
What did neduro go to? the ECX 450 or the XCW?
Im very keen on one of these bikes but started out thinking bout the 500 then thinking the 450 but am thinking now even the 350 would be more than enough power as im only 94kg geared up and i find even the power of my YZF 250 enough to keep me happy. I am also just your avaerge skilled rider no superman. So why wouldnt I go for the 350 exc and save lugging the extra 4 kilos around all day?

Do any of you think that a 350 would not be enough power for your skills and level of fitness?

After talking to a dealership a few times i am pretty sure that not only do they take all the canister/ sas crap off but they reflash the Australian exc ecu's to the xwc or whaever it is, before they leave the dealer.
KneEkolaaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #1211
5hunge
Banned

KneekoalaaS depends what you want to do with it i went the 500 because i do do a lot of road riding and alot of k,s
(once its run in ill go SM with sticky 17's and do wheel swap for the bush) so for me the 5 makes sense. if I was doing a lot of single track with tight sections i def would have gone the 350 imho the 450 is not really an optionIi cannot ID a niche for it
P.S
great to see Rossi get up but pushing Casey to 3rd great race in the wet
Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #1212
KneEkolaaS
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hunge View Post
KneekoalaaS depends what you want to do with it i went the 500 because i do do a lot of road riding and alot of k,s
(once its run in ill go SM with sticky 17's and do wheel swap for the bush) so for me the 5 makes sense. if I was doing a lot of single track with tight sections i def would have gone the 350 imho the 450 is not really an optionIi cannot ID a niche for it
P.S
great to see Rossi get up but pushing Casey to 3rd great race in the wet
Just trail riding, single track mostly with about 20-40km tarmac to get there. Id rather stay away from those other huge chucks of flying metal as much as possible.

I love getting the front wheel up and drifting dirt roads. Shouldnt be hard to get the front up on a 350 should it?As long as it has more power than my yzf 250 i'll be happy
Old 05-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #1213
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,616
I've ridden both the 350 and 500. I own the 500. I'd own the 350 in a heart beat IF I didn't ride the 500 as a dualsport as well as technical singletrack. I think the 500 is a better bike for versatility, but the 350 wins hands down in singletrack.

Hope that helps.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #1214
KneEkolaaS
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
I've ridden both the 350 and 500. I own the 500. I'd own the 350 in a heart beat IF I didn't ride the 500 as a dualsport as well as technical singletrack. I think the 500 is a better bike for versatility, but the 350 wins hands down in singletrack.

Hope that helps.
Yes it does help me having some feedback. thx guys
The last thing i want to do is get a 350 home and then think it hasnt got enough power. Thats why i was leaning towards the 450 or 500. I think the 350 is around. 46hp the 450 @ 53 and the 500 @. 58hp (correct me if im wrong)
Im coming from a yzf250 and a KLX 250 that has a 300 kit in it. The KLX WOULD BE LUCKY TO HAVE 20hp i guess, so havin been traveling to and from and single tracking the KLX even the 350 would be scary, but the klx is probably 130kg feuled up so the 450/500 weight probably wouldnt bother me anyway.

How terrible..!!! Some poor guy cant decide which KICKASS bike to get!!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #1215
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneEkolaaS View Post
What did neduro go to? the ECX 450 or the XCW?
Im very keen on one of these bikes but started out thinking bout the 500 then thinking the 450 but am thinking now even the 350 would be more than enough power as im only 94kg geared up and i find even the power of my YZF 250 enough to keep me happy. I am also just your avaerge skilled rider no superman. So why wouldnt I go for the 350 exc and save lugging the extra 4 kilos around all day?

Do any of you think that a 350 would not be enough power for your skills and level of fitness?

After talking to a dealership a few times i am pretty sure that not only do they take all the canister/ sas crap off but they reflash the Australian exc ecu's to the xwc or whaever it is, before they leave the dealer.
Long story short. I had a Triumph Tiger that i took on dirt too often. I have a blown disc at L5-S1. When I dropped a 500lb bike and had to pick it up, I couldn't bend over again for a week or two. That gets old. I looked at WR250R's and the Yami dealer offered me $2k less than I got trading the Tiger to the KTM/Triumph dealer. I also tried at a KTM dealer who also sold BERG's but no joy. I went in looking to buy the 350, they were sold out. Only had the 500 EXC and I have a bad problem about buying something on a whim... The dealer mentioned the 500 having more legs for road riding and that is really what I wanted. A 250lb dual sport bike.
I need to learn how to ride it, its been 20+ years since I rode a 125 2 smoke and I NEVER raced... That Triumph Triple is smooth let me tell ya and with TuneECU I could load a richer map.. but it had been out for 3 years before I bought one. It will happen with this bike too or I need to find a dealer that will load the xcw map... borrowing a map switch from an inmate to try and may get the jd tuner before my big trip to Ouray over the July 4th week.

David you are not hurting my sensitive feelings. I do need to learn how to ride it. And I am slowly. Unfortunately its 5 miles at a time to work and back. My dirt outings are not as frequent as I would like.

also need to stop switching back and forth between my wifes CRF230. I can leave that thing pinned all day long and ride around in city traffic.