Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #46
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 351
What a day. I don't think I've done a race as dusty as this one or at least the lack of any wind made it seem more dusty. I had a great start and was soon at a dead stop when riders in front were dropping there bikes in the deep sand. As soon as I got going again a rider beside me washed out and just as soon as I was able to get stopped his head hit my left leg. Total carnage. After the sand we finally started heading north on the harder packed whoops and that's where the dust was so thick I could barely see my front fender. All you could do was ride slow and try to see the edges of the trail. We then crossed the dirt road about at the area you pay the knolls fee. We then headed east and finally the sand whoops were broken up with stretches of flat where i could get enough off to the side to be in clean air and pin it and start passing. After some time out east we headed back west and into the foothills and rocks. Very fun rocky two track where I was able to make up time lost in the sand. Then south through more sand whoops and then after the south checkpoint we headed back north and into a tight twisty wash. We then were zig zagging in the mountains and then dropped down into the deep beach like sand and whoops back to the pits. Rinse and repeat. I did the second loop about the same as the first except at the last section of deep sand whoops I felt energized, pinned it and blew past three riders I had been chasing since the south check point.
It was a great race but I didn't think I was doing as well as I actually did.
1st in my class out of about 10-13 riders.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335062321.638862.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  11.0 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #47
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Gotta love knolls. Whoop whoop whoop pin it on the flats go through some rocks and repeat 100 times. Nice finish. Now maybe you'll believe us when we say your fast in whoops. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #48
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 848
Nice ride Kanook. I gave up trading spots with you after RM20 or so. Way to grab the class win!

Can't wait to see you blast them at V2R.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #49
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Nice ride Kanook. I gave up trading spots with you after RM20 or so. Way to grab the class win!

Can't wait to see you blast them at V2R.
Thanks Pilo
I look up to you and your accomplishments so it was nice to finally meet you.
The funny thing is i was getting so mad and thinking "who is this 92p that keeps passing me back" even though i parked right next to you and was checking out your bike before the race.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #50
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Did you send your entry in.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #51
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Thanks for the update. I hadn't realized the entry forms were available. If your not on the BITD site daily you miss stuff. It's printing as we speak and will be mailed off tomorrow. I have accommodations made in both Vegas and Reno so I've made some progress.;)
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #52
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,130
See you there buddy.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #53
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Entry form and check made out. In the mail tomorrow. What the hell am I doing?
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #54
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
Entry form and check made out. In the mail tomorrow. What the hell am I doing?
Living the dream of being a hard core desert racer. :p
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #55
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,075
where the hell is the like thumbs up button?

here..

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #56
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

What a crappy last race. It was last weekend and it was the second and last national race for us here in Utah. Since I missed the first national I was excited to race this one. Everything started fine with a decent start and plugging away picking off riders. Then at about mile 7 I had my first crash. And continued to wash out in turns. Something was not feeling right and I was not totally convinced it was me. It felt as though the front and rear tires wanted to go in different directions. I kept checking for a flat but that was not it so I assumed I had a front wheel bearing going. To make matters worse I missed a turn, just after the first check point, and while down in a river bed ( but I was not the only one, I had about 6 other guys behind me) I decided rather than turn around and find the missing turn I would take a gamble and head up out of the wash to the right and find the trail. The trail was off to the left. Of course. I hit a main dirt road and turned right towards the dust and found myself back at check point one and about in the middle of the novice class. So back on course I found myself back into the wash but this time saw the trail turn off to the left. I then began passing novice riders and was feeling good but then we got into the rocky sections and the bike felt uncontrolable again. I crashed about 3 more times and decided to pull the plug and save the bike. I got to check point 2 and got off the bike to check things over and could feel (at least I thought I did) movement in the rear swing arm bearings. I made my way back to the pits and I became crew chief for Fano and Steve who were still in the race. After all of us were back and safe at the truck we started looking over my bike and couldn't find anything wrong except the lower shock bearings were shot. I felt like an idiot. Something was going on and it wasn't until the ride home and talking to frog on the phone that I was reminded of the new used Scott's damper I had just put on. Up until this race I had been using frogs damper and when he needed it back I bought a good used one off eBay. I just bolted it on without testing it we're pretty sure the HS on the damper was set to stiff and was causing the eratic controll issues when the terrain got rough. Lesson learned. I want a do over. I've never been so mad and disappointed in myself. Anyway the bike is being torn down and is getting a bit of a freshening up whether it needed it or not. I want to make sure everything is solid before v2r. The suspension is going off to AS racing for a complete rebuild and all bearings will be replaced or re-packed. Valves will be checked and adjusted if needed and if compression is low a top end will be done. This was my first and last dnf for the year.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337660941.559104.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  94.7 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #57
zack05
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I had Paul do my suspension on the 450X that I am building up for V2R. He does great work and his valving is right on the money. I hope you like your new suspension.
zack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #58
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
What a crappy last race. It was last weekend and it was the second and last national race for us here in Utah. Since I missed the first national I was excited to race this one. Everything started fine with a decent start and plugging away picking off riders. Then at about mile 7 I had my first crash. And continued to wash out in turns. Something was not feeling right and I was not totally convinced it was me. It felt as though the front and rear tires wanted to go in different directions. I kept checking for a flat but that was not it so I assumed I had a front wheel bearing going. To make matters worse I missed a turn, just after the first check point, and while down in a river bed ( but I was not the only one, I had about 6 other guys behind me) I decided rather than turn around and find the missing turn I would take a gamble and head up out of the wash to the right and find the trail. The trail was off to the left. Of course. I hit a main dirt road and turned right towards the dust and found myself back at check point one and about in the middle of the novice class. So back on course I found myself back into the wash but this time saw the trail turn off to the left. I then began passing novice riders and was feeling good but then we got into the rocky sections and the bike felt uncontrolable again. I crashed about 3 more times and decided to pull the plug and save the bike. I got to check point 2 and got off the bike to check things over and could feel (at least I thought I did) movement in the rear swing arm bearings. I made my way back to the pits and I became crew chief for Fano and Steve who were still in the race. After all of us were back and safe at the truck we started looking over my bike and couldn't find anything wrong except the lower shock bearings were shot. I felt like an idiot. Something was going on and it wasn't until the ride home and talking to frog on the phone that I was reminded of the new used Scott's damper I had just put on. Up until this race I had been using frogs damper and when he needed it back I bought a good used one off eBay. I just bolted it on without testing it we're pretty sure the HS on the damper was set to stiff and was causing the eratic controll issues when the terrain got rough. Lesson learned. I want a do over. I've never been so mad and disappointed in myself. Anyway the bike is being torn down and is getting a bit of a freshening up whether it needed it or not. I want to make sure everything is solid before v2r. The suspension is going off to AS racing for a complete rebuild and all bearings will be replaced or re-packed. Valves will be checked and adjusted if needed and if compression is low a top end will be done. This was my first and last dnf for the year.
Attachment 313481
You should just trade it in for an orange one.:p

Don't be pissed about the national. Shit happens and there is always another race. Just make sure its all set for v2r. Nevada's desert is the last place you want to hang out waiting for help.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #59
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack05 View Post
I had Paul do my suspension on the 450X that I am building up for V2R. He does great work and his valving is right on the money. I hope you like your new suspension.
I have not read one negative about his work. From what I've read it's even better than PC's work. I should have just went this route from the beginning.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #60
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
You should just trade it in for an orange one.:p
maybe next year if I step up to the expert class. And my wife finally leaves me :p
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160