Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #2041
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipine View Post
After looking at your website, I'd feel like a criminal keeping you from such beautiful artwork by having you whittle a chain slider out of Delrin. I'm glad I don't need one. :^) As a toolmaker, engineer, and appreciator of firearms as art and mechanical accomplishments, I can only say, wow. Absolutely beautiful work, and pleased to make your acquaintance.

All the best,

-Dave G.
Agreed Dave, I'm greatful that someone with his talent would take his time off the side to help out in a area out side of his normal day to day grind.

Kurt

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #2042
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Dewey question. I can see the top slider not coming loose, but the bottom one has just the one bolt holding it.
Have you had any problem with the bottom one on your bike as the chain feeds into it with only the 1 bolt holding ??.

Kurt

Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #2043
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Disregaurd my last post I see how it's works.......

Kurt

Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #2044
flygirl
n00bius maximus

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey v View Post
hey guys (and gal who also flies the best-looking high-wing airplane ever made),
i'm going to make up 5 kits this weekend so anybody who wants one please e-mail me with your contact info and i'll get back to you when they're ready.

Dewey

Loki - '76 7KCAB (three-wheeler of sorts)
flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #2045
MC-Leather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey V View Post
Kurt, Jay and Marijke,

Your chain sliders are on the way, they went out in today's mail.
Installation is pretty self-explanatory, just press your bolt bushings into the holes, all of the spacers are marked as to where they go and use blue Loctite on the bolts. The bolts shouldn't be overtightened, a 1/4 inch drive ratchet works fine.

Very Cool. Just the other day I was looking at the bike thinking it was a finished project... sometimes I'm a fool.... motorcycles are never finished.
A bunch of Hondas and random other bikes.
MC-Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #2046
donaldlav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Ducati / Cagiva E900 / E750 Chain Slide

Dewey,
Kurt informed me of your chain slide project. Are you still up for orders? If so, I need to replace mine very soon.
Thanks, Donald LaVigne, Augusta, GA

Quote:
Kurt,
Here is another photo showing the upper and lower portions. I made them as an upper and lower with machined aluminum spacers to compensate for the bolt holes being on a different plane than the surface where the slider sits.
These have about a thousand miles on them and are barely marked by the chain, plus they're a lot smoother than the original material. I made them on a manual mill (no CNC) so it takes a couple of hours to whittle out a set. Would 75 dollars a set, shipped, be OK? That would include a complete kit of bolts, spacers and sliders.
donaldlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #2047
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry to here it Dewey. But I understand we both are in the same boat. Going to let mine go also. Good luck on your sale.

Kurt

Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #2048
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll get ahold of you Friday to get the funds to you. I'm sure it will still be around. The sliders will still go with the bike at any rate.

Kurt

Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #2049
MC-Leather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Kurt, Jay and Marijke,

Your chain sliders are on the way, they went out in today's mail.
Installation is pretty self-explanatory, just press your bolt bushings into the holes, all of the spacers are marked as to where they go and use blue Loctite on the bolts. The bolts shouldn't be overtightened, a 1/4 inch drive ratchet works fine.

I got mine today, they look great!! Thanks.
A bunch of Hondas and random other bikes.
MC-Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #2050
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-Leather View Post
I got mine today, they look great!! Thanks.
After reading Jay's post that he got his I went out to the mail box and mine where sitting there to.......all I can say is WOW! I don't see the chain eating the thing's up in the futre any time to soon.....very nice!

Thanks Kurt

Old 05-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #2051
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
Chain sliders

Dewey V-If you ever make another batch of the chainsliders, I'd like to sign up to purchase one, just for sandbagging for the future.

All- I have a 94 E900 that I acquired in a trade with one of the coolest oldschool moto-guys in my area. I stored the bike for months without even running it, as I planned to sell it and didn't want to fall in love with it or anything.
Well... too late for that now.
I did a proper "make-run" on it, and WOW is this thing sweet !!
For a Ducati, I am so impressed with how it pulls smoothly from low RPM's all the way up to ? higher RPM's than any of my other bikes.
I like the way they "de-tuned" the 900 2 valve.
Maybe it is not the raciest Desmodue engine, but seems perfect and practical for this do-all style of motorbike.
My buddy who traded it to me seems entertained by the whole thing, and I suspect he has known all along that I would end up loving the Elefant.

I think this one must have the starter to battery modification completed because it starts easier than any motorcycle I've ever had. It is like it is already turning under it's own power on the first ignition pulse... instant run.

First thing I'm going to look at is the headlights. I've got a brand new battery in it, and judging visually, they seem weak.
I've read about a common upgrade for the headlights, so unless y'all tell me differently, I'll probably go the Elefant Adventure Labs route.
In fact, I'll probably end up ordering a lot from them.

I'm also worried about airflow to the oil cooler with the front high fender.
Should I drill the back ? Cut some off ? Mount a low fender ?

Exhaust. Is it common to "de-smog/de-catalytic converter" these E900's ? I am assuming yes, but if anyone wants to point out anything I should know about the process, I'm listening.

PS i am an experienced mechanic, but not experienced with Ducatis or Cagivas... yet.

Any advice ?
Warnings ?
Virtual High-Fives ?

thanks,
-Chadley
Old 05-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #2052
Chadleys1
working on it

... continued

Also, please don't tell me to search the threads.
I am searching the threads like I was preparing to take the BAR exam or something like that.
haha
-Chadley
Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #2053
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Sweet bike. Welcome to the herd. I would recommend the DDL headlight wiring kit from elefantadventurebikes.com. You can do it yourself but Michael's kit is plug and play and well-designed and built. Your headlights will be much brighter. Clean your fuse contacts and 4-pin plug from the fuses, or better yet, replace the 4-pin with one from Michael as well. Check/clean wiring to the regulator and make sure it's well-grounded. If it hasn't already been replaced, buy a spare regulator from DDL or Rick's Electrics (I think you can get a MOSFET from Rick's now. Won't ever get hot.)

Store the cat and get a new can. I bought a D&D. Some say they're too loud but I get nothing but complements on the sound. OK it drones a bit under the helmet in a tailwind but hey, if it's too loud, you're too old. I'm 51 and I can deal with it.

Keep it full of fresh oil and don't worry about the cooler. Drill it out if it bugs you bad enough.

2V belt motors are as easy to work on as anything out there. And they're more reliable than most with merely common sense maintenance.

If you get near SW Kansas let me know. We can ride the Gyp Hills.

Enjoy! I know you will.

Bevelhead screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 08:04 AM
Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #2054
Chadleys1
working on it

Thanks Bevelhead

Thanks Bevelhead !
That is just the confidence boost I needed.
The bike is really running well right now, and I found the misplaced title this morning. I already have it insured, and will have it tagged and legal this week. I appreciate, and will follow your recommendations.
I'll post pics after the first good ride I take.
Cheers,
-Chadleys1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelhead View Post
Sweet bike. Welcome to the herd. I would recommend the DDL headlight wiring kit from elefantadventurebikes.com. You can do it yourself but Michael's kit is plug and play and well-designed and built. Your headlights will be much brighter. Clean your fuse contacts and 4-pin plug from the fuses, or better yet, replace the 4-pin with one from Michael as well. Check/clean wiring to the regulator and make sure it's well-grounded. If it hasn't already been replaced, buy a spare regulator from DDL or Rick's Electrics (I think you can get a MOSFET from Rick's now. Won't ever get hot.)

Store the cat and get a new can. I bought a D&D. Some say they're too loud but I get nothing but complements on the sound. OK it drones a bit under the helmet in a tailwind but hey, if it's too loud, you're too old. I'm 51 and I can deal with it.

Keep it full of fresh oil and don't worry about the cooler. Drill it out if it bugs you bad enough.

2V belt motors are as easy to work on as anything out there. And they're more reliable than most with merely common sense maintenance.

Enjoy! I know you will.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #2055
Chadleys1
working on it

... oh yeah

Gyp Hills added to my must-check-out-list.
Thanks again.
-CLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelhead View Post
Sweet bike. Welcome to the herd.

Enjoy! I know you will.