Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
aidanpryde18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I have a Honda Silver Wing and I put ~12,000 miles on it in the last year. It was my only bike and I commuted on it every day. I also used it for long trips.

Just recently I went through the same issue and I recently picked up a Wee-Strom. I just picked up a 45L Givi top case for it and have commuted on it for the last couple of weeks. I also took the Strom on a couple of weekend rides. On back roads the Strom beats the Silver Wing hands down. Much more stable and planted through corners and gas mileage is roughly equivalent.

In-town, I do miss the auto trans but not a great deal. Honestly, I have to remind myself to ride the Swing once a week just to run it.

I might feel differently next winter if I miss the wind protection on cold mornings, but as of now, I am seriously considering selling the Swing because I don't see much use for it. My thought is that I might sell it and pick up a 250 scooter around winter time to use for quick hops to the store and rain/cold commuting only.

I really like the idea of having a mid-size scoot for utility and an ADV for everything else.
aidanpryde18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #17
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Dual Sport/Scooter combo

I agree. I think a dual-sport and a mid-sized scooter covers just about all the bases for me. I have a KLR250 for dirt road exploration and trips out to the country, and a Yamaha Majesty 400 for blasting around in the suburbs.

I just visited my brother last Sunday, and drove the Majesty. He lives about 18-20 miles away, and the road going to his house has speed limits ranging from 45-60 mph. Some of the drive is a nicely manicured, 4-lane boulevard with a limit of 45, and the rest is a smooth, 2-lane blacktop road with a 60 mph limit. The Majesty's right in the middle of it's powerband at those speeds, and has lots of power left over to pass. It's a great bike for moving through light-to-medium traffic.

The only improvement I would want to make to my dual-sport/scooter combo would be to upgrade to a newer dual-sport (like a WR250R), and a faster scooter (like a TMax)

HandKPhil screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 04:31 PM
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

My Scooter/Dual-sport combo

Here's a picture of my combo: (tank not included)
Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff199 View Post
I've been lurking here for some time, mostly in the "Thumpers" section. I have a 14 mile commute daily, currently on the Vespa S150. Wouldn't trade the 2-wheel commute for a car in a second, but there are a few nagging issues I'm looking to solve:

1. A bit more weight (wind stability)
2. A bit more HP
3. Limited range

Anyone gone this route getting a dual-sport or adventure bike, only to later regret spending the $?
i went: learner > Dual Sport > sport bike > scooter > scooter & DualsSport

I put the dualsport in the truck for stuff that is more than 100 miles away (usually dirty rides). Guess it's kind of a trailer queen ?

No, you will not regret the dualsport on a commute. I'm not going to say you can't do x on a y bike, cause we all know that statement if false for the right people. ;-) ..... but hopping curbs and ROOSTING THE FUCK out of people instead of breaking their mirrors off is fantastic.

I mean, i saw it on youtube. I've nevvvvvvvver done that.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
griff199 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Good input you guys, I really appreciate the feedback. Funny, I've never seen so much talk among men re: inseam.

I'm 6'3" so I would guess I can hop on most factory bikes and make contact with the ground. RE the dirt road stuff, I feel like I'll never know until I have a bike that can make that journey fun (vs sketchy), but you've all got me wondering.
griff199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
vader1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff199 View Post
Good input you guys, I really appreciate the feedback. Funny, I've never seen so much talk among men re: inseam.

I'm 6'3" so I would guess I can hop on most factory bikes and make contact with the ground. RE the dirt road stuff, I feel like I'll never know until I have a bike that can make that journey fun (vs sketchy), but you've all got me wondering.

You may want to try a Kymco People 300 on for giggles if you have a dealer that test rides them. I have the Downtown 300i, and the People is made for the bigger folk and a little more sporty. But after two tanks in the Downtown just over 70 mpg, plenty of storage, and have only had it touch 80 a couple times but did it with ease. That was fast enough for me, but am told they will touch 90's depending on your weight.

And the dealer cut $1200 off the sticker without blinking on a leftover 2011.
vader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I've had my Silverwing for about a year and a half now. It's been great and I've ridden all over the place on it, but I got a hankering to get another motorcycle. I found a very nice BMW R1100R and picked it up for a good price.

The short version of the story is that I'm having some fitting and adjustment issues with the Beemer which cause my left leg and right hip to cramp up if I go longer than a few hours on the machine. That's why I'm glad I kept the SWing...cramping or leg pain do not happen on it...I get a bit of monkeybutt, but that's true for me on ANY motorcycle, so no big.

Glad I still have the SWing and will continue to ride it while I'm getting the Beemer sorted out...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 AM   #23
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
I've had my Silverwing for about a year and a half now. It's been great and I've ridden all over the place on it, but I got a hankering to get another motorcycle. I found a very nice BMW R1100R and picked it up for a good price.

The short version of the story is that I'm having some fitting and adjustment issues with the Beemer which cause my left leg and right hip to cramp up if I go longer than a few hours on the machine. That's why I'm glad I kept the SWing...cramping or leg pain do not happen on it...I get a bit of monkeybutt, but that's true for me on ANY motorcycle, so no big.

Glad I still have the SWing and will continue to ride it while I'm getting the Beemer sorted out...
A foot-peg lowering kit might help on the BMW. Leg-stretching exercises helped on my cramping issues.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #24
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198
The two best bikes I ever owned were my Stella and my DR650.
With the DR you can ride an off-road event on Saturday, and then
toast all the R6 kiddies on your way into work on monday. IT is
the Ron Popiel Pocket Fisherman of motocycles !
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Picked up a spare Dual Sport

Picked up another KLR250 today, this time a pristine '04 with 1000 miles on it. Though I love my current '03 KLR250/Yamaha Majesty combo, I figured I needed to have a pair of evenly matched dual-sports for when a friend or family member and I want to go on a country ride where we might encounter a lot of dirt roads. Those Majesty air filters clog up mighty quick you know. Now I need to get my '87 Honda Elite 150 out of mothballs, so that I have a pair of scooters in case a friend and I decide to take a city ride
Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #26
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 150
I recently traded my 2009 KLR 650 for a 2012 Honda Silverwing. So far I love it. The wing is quieter, smoother and much better on the road. I am not getting any younger and the KLR was a bit tall for me. No mistake the KLR is a great bike but just a bit too top heavy for what I do now. Fuel economy on the Honda 600 and the KLR 650 is about the same.

1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #27
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Jacksonville. Spread out city. You're gonna hate all the shifting.

I commute from Ft. Caroline to the Westside - I use my Big Ruckus more than my Bonneville.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
ruckuschick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I had a nice People S250 then got the itch for a dual sport so I got a TW200. Really liked the bikes looks but ended up hating the ride and handling. Maybe if I'd changed to street tires but that kinda defeats the purpose. Probably shoulda kept the S250. Now I got a CSC 150 and a Ural Gear Up. Rides are much better than the TW200 on both. I'd definitely consider a scooter again but probably wouldnt get anything under 150cc. Sometimes it's noce not to have to shift in traffic. Good luck on your pick.
ruckuschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #29
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Burgman 400, unless you plan to tour or ride two-up. Then get a Burgman 650.

I have a Vino 125, a Burgman Exec and a Vulcan 900 and V-Star 1100. The Vino is fine unless there's a freeway involved. There it gutless and dangerous. The Burgman is stable at 100kph even in a crosswind, although my V-Star doesn't catch the wind as much. The Burgman is what I ride around town (Calgary is big with lots of freeways), and we also tour on them, 8000-10000km per year.

My son has an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, which is also a very nice scooter, probaly quite adequate for what you want, except that parts from Piaggo are impossible to get. It has been sitting in the garage for TEN MONTHS waiting on parts that have been back-ordered four times now. Don't buy an Aprilia, or Vespa or any other Piaggio. Ask around. Likewise, be wary of Chinese clones. Again, dealership and parts support is weak, compounded by the fact that the bikes are cheaply made from cheap materials and don't always have the lifespan of a Japanese brand, even though most of those are now built from Chinese parts. .

You're much better off to stick with Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda, all of which have maxi-scooters and much more reliable dealer and parts support. I would suggest the Burgman 400 or 650 Exec, simply because my own 650 continues to impress me. It's as big and heavy as my cruiser (gets called "Lardy") but it is fast and nimble on the road, comfortable all day, and holds a ton of stuff in the trunk.

This is free advice and may not even be worth my 2, but there it is.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #30
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,975
I think you're on the right track. These scooter guys are nuts, so you have to take their recommendations with a grain of salt. I think a 150 is about as big as you want to go with a scooter. Bigger than that and you might as well be on a motorcycle. There are a ton of fun, cheap dualsports around. Or just get yourself a street bike. The options are almost limitless.

Where in Jax, btw?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote