ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #511
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
Friday Route:

Summary: The objective Friday is to end up in Echo Park campground in Dinosaur National Monument.

The route has us criss-crossing HWY 40 - paved to Dinosaur. If you have any type of technical problems that delay you, you can re-route yourself on these paved routes to get to Echo Park quicker (if daylight is running out).

There are two ways into Echo Park.
We are coming into Echo Park from the East along a road called the "Yampa Bench". It is basically 60 miles of dirt road filled with epic views, some sand washes, some mud, etc. starting at Elk Springs (There is NO fuel in Elk Springs). The other way in is from the west which is a 13 mile dirt road of switch backs dropping down from the paved road in Dinosaur National Monument (that starts in Dinosaur, Co). If you get behind schedule and need a quicker (and safer) way to Echo Park - re-route yourself to this way in. There is gas in the town of Dinosaur.

I have broken the route into 3 parts:

Friday Part 1: Craig to Meeker
Distance: 50 miles.

Official Starting Location is Norms Driveway.
Post with info on Norm's house: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=91

Kickstands up @ 9am.

I'm having us start relatively late to gives folks commuting into the starting location a little more time. We don't have to be on the road quite as early as last year as we're starting in Craig instead of Steamboat.

From Craig to Meeker is about 50 miles. Easy dirt road paralleling the paved road (if you miss the start.. run the pavement to Meeker and catch us there). Nice easy ride to start the day and let the group dynamics start to balance out.

MEEKER IS THE LAST CIVILIZATION FOR 24 HOURS.
Get gas. Get water. Get provisions. You will not have another chance until Saturday morning.

Google Map of Craig to Meeker:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...03307e55&msa=0

Google Earth and GPX tracks are available for download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fnodv29hgewb6j6/Bc5DQBjJcY
Google earth files are KML
GPS files are GPX

Friday Part 2: Crooked Wash
Distance: 53miles.

After your Team is finished in Meeker head west on the paved road. Right at the edge of town there is a fork.. you are going to take the right fork (there is a big gas station there.. don't miss it!).

A few miles up you'll leave the pavement and head up the super fun Crooked Wash. There are quite a few forks and the like.. pay attention to the tracks whenever you come to intersections. I've tried to trace them as accurate as can be so there should be no confusion. There is a water crossing (which if dried up will be a mud bogg or sand wash). It may take team work to get everyone across. I would suggest making sure your team has at least one rope with them just in case.

Google Map of Crooked Wash:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...63c04eaa&msa=0

Google Earth and GPX tracks are available for download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fnodv29hgewb6j6/Bc5DQBjJcY
GPS files are GPX

Friday Part 3: The Yampa Bench
Distance 47 miles

When you arrive at the turn off in Elk Springs it is your last chance to divert. If you are running late.. you might want to consider continuing on pavement to Dinosaur and coming in the paved way. It will take a few hours to run the Yampa Bench in Daylight.. I'm afraid to think how long it would take at night (and you wouldn't see anything so what would be the point?).

As soon as you head west on the dirt from Elk Springs there is a fork.. stay LEFT. You'd figure it out eventually but thought I'd save you the hassle You want 14N - you are on 14 and will come to a choice of 14 vs. 14N.. you want 14N as in NORTH (and it'll be a right fork going NORTH).

The Yampa Bench is a FUN road. There will be sand washes without warning so keep it in mind if you wick it up a bit.
Once you get into the scenic bits (you'll know when) I have included in the tracks FOUR of the turn outs. They are easy to miss when you are scooting along having fun.. so you might want to pay attention and slow down a bit so you don't miss them as they are not to be missed!

The second turn out I've marked is the Harding Hole overlook (the great photo opportunity for your bike).
The GPS coordinates for the Harding Hole Overlook is 40.463376,-108.861811 if you want to create a waypoint for yourself (and to give you an idea of how easy it is to miss it.. I had been there twice before and I missed it last time because I was having fun.. and I was watching for it!)

After you've done the lookouts on the Bench you'll get into more open area and start to wick it up again. The only thing to keep in mind that you are then looking for an intersection where 14N and CO 156 come together. That right turn onto CO 156 is what drops you down to Echo Park and the campsite. You'll want to take it easy on 156 as there is a good chance there is a subaru coming the other way (and deer).

If you miss the 156 turn off you start the 13 mile climb out of the canyone with switch backs and the like.. you've gone too far.

If you using GPS.. just follow the tracks.. I only point out these references as triggers to pay attention.

Google Map of the Yampa Bench:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...03425,1.043701

GPS files are GPX

Saturday Route:

Saturday's route will also have 3 parts.
We will start in the morning by climbing out of Echo Park (which will be an adventure if it rained over night like last year.. the road is "impassable when wet") and then we'll drop off the west end of the monument and over to Jensen for Gas.

We'll then head north and up to Swinging Bridge (the ONLY way across the river) and into the Gates of Lodore where we'll drop our camp gear off... and then PLAY TIME in Sand Wash Basin.

What's Sand Wash Basin you ask?

Norm: "Sand Wash Basin, has LOADS of stuff. Impossible to get lost. But I will have hard copies of the area for everone. A great place just to see a track and explore. I have been riding out there for 20+ years and still find new stuff."

Norm recently posted a video of him and his Son riding out there... great fun... and the cool part is no matter how lost you get, you just turn south and you run back into the only road out there.

Saturday Part 1: Echo Park to Jensen Utah
Distance: less than 50 miles.

A scenic morning ride up and out of the canyon, across the monument and then dropping down to Jensen Utah for Gas.

THIS IS THE DAY'S FUEL AND PROVISIONS! Get what you need there will NOT be another option.

Google Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...eea82731&msa=0

GPS files are GPX

Saturday Part 2: Jensen to the Gates of Lodore
Distance: 74 miles

Scenic deserted roads taking us up to the historic Swinging Bridge (the ONLY way across the river).
NOTE: After you cross the swinging bridge pay strict attention to the speed limit.. there is an officer in the area with radar and nothing to do. For that matter.. if he's reading this thread.. he could be hiding anywhere at any time so keep that in mind

It is not far from the Swinging Bridge to the campground - 10 or 15 miles.

Google Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...f16771ae&msa=0

GPS files are GPX

Saturday Part 3: Play Time! Sand Wash Basin

We should arrive at Lodore fairly early afternoon. This leave playtime for those who want to go rip up some dirt... or relaxation time for those wanting to save energy for Sunday's big miles... or tourism time for those wanting to take in the many historic sites the area has to offer. Norm has tons of great information on the region.

From Norm:
get to Lodore, eat some lunch. Unload, set up tents etc. Then there is Douglas Mtn, I sent a PM to Dave, to see if we can get to the fire lookouton Zenobia Peak. There are some good fun high speed BLM tracks, or you can head North on some technical BLM ATV tracks, rocks, sand etc and go on a loop over Cold Springs Mtn. Vermillion Basin is an option. A northern loop thru Sand Wash back to 318, or just Sandwash OHV. Or the Utah/Cold Springs/Irish Canyon route.

For those wanting to play: Sand Wash Basin is an absolutely huge area full with single track, dual track and dirt roads. It is massive and you can't get lost.. because at any time you can just turn south and you will hit 318. When you hit 318 you can take it back to Lodore.

Here's a website on Sand Wash Basin for those that want more info - 154,940 acres!
http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/lsfo/...ild_horse.html

and here is a map of it: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ge.-1.-1.1.jpg

Note that it is bordered by 318 on the south end entirely.

Geek screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 03:39 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #512
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Working on Sunday now.

Bill has sent me tons of info to digest.. I'm going to piece something together.. perhaps including some of the fun stuff we did last year... and then get his input on it this evening when he's home before posting up the final tracks.

It will be a big day. Up early, ride ride ride and camp where ever we are when we feel like stopping
Old 05-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #513
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I was stressing having to figure out Sunday's route... it is one thing when I trace cow tracks on the satelite views and find locked gates and dead ends by myself. It's entirely another thing to hand such tracks to 20+ people and end up with a real disaster in the making.

I just opened the large collection of tracks Bill had emailed me - and to my surprise Bill has served up Sunday's route on a silver platter. From Maybel to the Book Cliffs in 4 fun chunks.

Insider knowledge of all awesome stuff

Thanks Bill!!!

Maps and tracks to come later this evening.

Maybell to Elk Springs: 31 miles
Elk Springs to Rangely: 38 miles
Rangely North: 15 miles
Rangely South: 60 miles
Douglas the book cliffs: 70 miles

Total: 214 miles - but they'll be mostly technical.. so it'll be a full day.

Geek screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 04:09 PM
Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #514
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Sunday looks good!

If 20+ riders run into a locked gate ......... it's an adventure right! No worries
Old 05-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #515
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Running Dinosaur to Moab in 2010:

Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #516
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 648
Hey Geek, thanks for the hard work and details in organizing this ride.
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #517
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Hey Geek, thanks for the hard work and details in organizing this ride.
+1
Old 05-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #518
Ackme
talented fool

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
+1
+1+1
Absolutley! Many thanks.

"nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"
Ackme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #519
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I just spent a bit with Bill on the phone and the route he put together for Sunday is going to be

It has some of everything and takes us about as far from anywhere as you can get these days.
We'll run the base of cliffs..
we'll run canyons..
we'll run ridges..
we'll run sand washes.
It's going to be a hoot... can't wait!

For those who are looking to head home Sunday - if you don't have to be home until late Sunday night I'd seriously consider running the first half of the day with us. We will intersect 139 a couple of times as we criss-cross and at any time you could jump on that and go due south to Fruita - and then booger home from there (just throwing the idea out there).

Those sticking with the full day Sunday we'll just grab a random field at the base of the Book Cliffs like last year and sleep like babies.

er... assuming you haven't pissed Paul off

Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #520
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,501
I think I may just tag along awhile Sunday, I just need to get back to Craig before dark. But probably leave when we cross 139 and head back to Meeker, then Ripple Creek Pass, to Craig.
nwcolorider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #521
Geek OP
oot & aboot

The 2012 Dinosaur Run.

Get your GPS Tracks, Google Earth Maps and Google Maps from this post.

ALL Google Earth and GPX tracks are available for download here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fnodv29hgewb6j6/Bc5DQBjJcY
GPS files are GPX

Total Files you need:
Friday 1, 2 and 3
Saturday 1, 2
Sunday 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Total: 10 files

Friday Route:

Summary: The objective Friday is to end up in Echo Park campground in Dinosaur National Monument.

The route has us criss-crossing HWY 40 - paved to Dinosaur. If you have any type of technical problems that delay you, you can re-route yourself on these paved routes to get to Echo Park quicker (if daylight is running out).

There are two ways into Echo Park.
We are coming into Echo Park from the East along a road called the "Yampa Bench". It is basically 60 miles of dirt road filled with epic views, some sand washes, some mud, etc. starting at Elk Springs (There is NO fuel in Elk Springs). The other way in is from the west which is a 13 mile dirt road of switch backs dropping down from the paved road in Dinosaur National Monument (that starts in Dinosaur, Co). If you get behind schedule and need a quicker (and safer) way to Echo Park - re-route yourself to this way in. There is gas in the town of Dinosaur.

I have broken the route into 3 parts:

Friday Part 1: Craig to Meeker
Distance: 50 miles.

Official Starting Location is Norms Driveway.
Post with info on Norm's house: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=91

Kickstands up @ 9am.

I'm having us start relatively late to gives folks commuting into the starting location a little more time. We don't have to be on the road quite as early as last year as we're starting in Craig instead of Steamboat.

From Craig to Meeker is about 50 miles. Easy dirt road paralleling the paved road (if you miss the start.. run the pavement to Meeker and catch us there). Nice easy ride to start the day and let the group dynamics start to balance out.

MEEKER IS THE LAST CIVILIZATION FOR 24 HOURS.
Get gas. Get water. Get provisions. You will not have another chance until Saturday morning.

Google Map of Craig to Meeker:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...03307e55&msa=0

Friday Part 2: Crooked Wash
Distance: 53miles.

After your Team is finished in Meeker head west on the paved road. Right at the edge of town there is a fork.. you are going to take the right fork (there is a big gas station there.. don't miss it!).

A few miles up you'll leave the pavement and head up the super fun Crooked Wash. There are quite a few forks and the like.. pay attention to the tracks whenever you come to intersections. I've tried to trace them as accurate as can be so there should be no confusion. There is a water crossing (which if dried up will be a mud bogg or sand wash). It may take team work to get everyone across. I would suggest making sure your team has at least one rope with them just in case.

Google Map of Crooked Wash:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...63c04eaa&msa=0

Friday Part 3: The Yampa Bench
Distance 47 miles

When you arrive at the turn off in Elk Springs it is your last chance to divert. If you are running late.. you might want to consider continuing on pavement to Dinosaur and coming in the paved way. It will take a few hours to run the Yampa Bench in Daylight.. I'm afraid to think how long it would take at night (and you wouldn't see anything so what would be the point?).

As soon as you head west on the dirt from Elk Springs there is a fork.. stay LEFT. You'd figure it out eventually but thought I'd save you the hassle You want 14N - you are on 14 and will come to a choice of 14 vs. 14N.. you want 14N as in NORTH (and it'll be a right fork going NORTH).

The Yampa Bench is a FUN road. There will be sand washes without warning so keep it in mind if you wick it up a bit.
Once you get into the scenic bits (you'll know when) I have included in the tracks FOUR of the turn outs. They are easy to miss when you are scooting along having fun.. so you might want to pay attention and slow down a bit so you don't miss them as they are not to be missed!

The second turn out I've marked is the Harding Hole overlook (the great photo opportunity for your bike).
The GPS coordinates for the Harding Hole Overlook is 40.463376,-108.861811 if you want to create a waypoint for yourself (and to give you an idea of how easy it is to miss it.. I had been there twice before and I missed it last time because I was having fun.. and I was watching for it!)

After you've done the lookouts on the Bench you'll get into more open area and start to wick it up again. The only thing to keep in mind that you are then looking for an intersection where 14N and CO 156 come together. That right turn onto CO 156 is what drops you down to Echo Park and the campsite. You'll want to take it easy on 156 as there is a good chance there is a subaru coming the other way (and deer).

If you miss the 156 turn off you start the 13 mile climb out of the canyone with switch backs and the like.. you've gone too far.

If you using GPS.. just follow the tracks.. I only point out these references as triggers to pay attention.

Google Map of the Yampa Bench:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...03425,1.043701

Saturday Route:

Saturday's route will also have 3 parts.
We will start in the morning by climbing out of Echo Park (which will be an adventure if it rained over night like last year.. the road is "impassable when wet") and then we'll drop off the west end of the monument and over to Jensen for Gas.

We'll then head north and up to Swinging Bridge (the ONLY way across the river) and into the Gates of Lodore where we'll drop our camp gear off... and then PLAY TIME in Sand Wash Basin.

What's Sand Wash Basin you ask?

Norm: "Sand Wash Basin, has LOADS of stuff. Impossible to get lost. But I will have hard copies of the area for everone. A great place just to see a track and explore. I have been riding out there for 20+ years and still find new stuff."

Norm recently posted a video of him and his Son riding out there... great fun... and the cool part is no matter how lost you get, you just turn south and you run back into the only road out there.

Saturday Part 1: Echo Park to Jensen Utah
Distance: less than 50 miles.

A scenic morning ride up and out of the canyon, across the monument and then dropping down to Jensen Utah for Gas.

THIS IS THE DAY'S FUEL AND PROVISIONS! Get what you need there will NOT be another option.

Google Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...eea82731&msa=0

Saturday Part 2: Jensen to the Gates of Lodore
Distance: 74 miles

Scenic deserted roads taking us up to the historic Swinging Bridge (the ONLY way across the river).
NOTE: After you cross the swinging bridge pay strict attention to the speed limit.. there is an officer in the area with radar and nothing to do. For that matter.. if he's reading this thread.. he could be hiding anywhere at any time so keep that in mind

It is not far from the Swinging Bridge to the campground - 10 or 15 miles.

Google Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...f16771ae&msa=0

Saturday Part 3: Play Time! Sand Wash Basin

We should arrive at Lodore fairly early afternoon. This leave playtime for those who want to go rip up some dirt... or relaxation time for those wanting to save energy for Sunday's big miles... or tourism time for those wanting to take in the many historic sites the area has to offer. Norm has tons of great information on the region.

From Norm:
get to Lodore, eat some lunch. Unload, set up tents etc. Then there is Douglas Mtn, I sent a PM to Dave, to see if we can get to the fire lookouton Zenobia Peak. There are some good fun high speed BLM tracks, or you can head North on some technical BLM ATV tracks, rocks, sand etc and go on a loop over Cold Springs Mtn. Vermillion Basin is an option. A northern loop thru Sand Wash back to 318, or just Sandwash OHV. Or the Utah/Cold Springs/Irish Canyon route.

For those wanting to play: Sand Wash Basin is an absolutely huge area full with single track, dual track and dirt roads. It is massive and you can't get lost.. because at any time you can just turn south and you will hit 318. When you hit 318 you can take it back to Lodore.

Here's a website on Sand Wash Basin for those that want more info - 154,940 acres!
http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/lsfo/...ild_horse.html

and here is a map of it: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ge.-1.-1.1.jpg

Note that it is bordered by 318 on the south end entirely.

Sunday Route:

Sunday will start early with us jumping on 318 and running to Maybell to get gas (and depending on how much we played in Sand Wash Basin some of us might be drafting NASCAR style to conserve fuel )

Note: I have NOT provided a GPX track for that section - it is one road (the only road) and it ends where we want to be.

After we fuel up.. the fun begins...

Sunday Part 1: Maybel to Elk Springs

We back track a little from where we just came and then head south on the north side of 40.
Saves us some pavement.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...506917f9&msa=0

Sunday Part 2: Elk Springs to Rangely

This section is going to be awesome. We split 40 and 64 and run the nothingness in between perpendicular to the Crooked Wash route we did on Day 1. The Part name is misleading.. this part does not end in Rangely - it ends at "Rangely North" which is our run into Rangely from the North.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...14463,0.845604

Sunday Part 3: Rangely North

Our run into Rangely from the North (echo?)

FILL UP AND PROVISIONS IN RANGELY @ the KUM & GO - last civilization for the day.
Part 3 is a hoot. It is the best part of the area you've seen pictured above (my bike on a cliff... and Steambike's bike laying on its side )

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...14867,0.845604

Sunday Part 4: Rangely South

Our Run out of Rangely South.

This section is going to be stunning. We criss cross 139 as we work south and then we run east and run the base of a set of cliffs (very scenic) zig zagging along. Then up and over a mountain ridge with lots of switchbacks coming back down to 139.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...31147,1.691208

Sunday Part 5: Douglas to Baxter

I don't know what "douglas to baxter" means.. but that's what Bill had his tracks named This is the run that'll take us down to the book cliffs. It'll start with a climb up onto a spine that has us doing a decent down some sand washes. We'll work as a team and make sure anyone having difficulty gets through - no worries. Then we continue south until we breach the Book Cliffs west of Mack where we'll cowboy camp in the desert.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...36073,1.691208
Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #522
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,661
it's a small detail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Team 3
Ackme - DR650
NWColorider - DR
Bushveld - Xchallenge
Derm75 - KLR
Steambike - F800
Blakebird - TE630
Norton(kel) - KLR - old enough to know better.
New D606 rear and MT21 front, and a lightweight Motion Pro rimlock out back (no rimlock stock )
Cleaned, adjusted and ready to throw in the truck

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #523
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Bonus Material:

For those headed to Craig on Thursday from the Front Range.. looking for something more interesting than the paved road.. here's some detours:

1) Old Cottonwood Pass i.e. "Granby Bypass". Fun dirt bypass from Winterpark to Hot Sulphur Springs

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=....6712,0.583649

2) Krem-Lemur.

This is the "Kremling Bypass" that Lemur Pilot and I took last year. It was lots of fun.. we had a bigger route planned but ran into locked gates because of some season or other restrictions... We are going to be trying some new stuff this Thursday that is a combination of other North Park Routes I've done in the past but I won't have tracks until we see what works and what doesn't work (and how many locks I need to pick this time )

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...29866,0.874786

Kremmling Bypass is where we took this photo.. that's Kremmling off in the distance by the reservoirs:

3) Steamboat ByPass

Hooking a left as you enter Steamboat you can ride this dirt route all the way to Hayden... its fun & twisty and beats going through all the steamboat traffic lights. Then you can pop over to Craig. Note: Pay attention right as you start this route.. the road curves left immediately but you don't. You go straight and then left paralleled to it on the outside of the turn but on the dirt.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...01482,0.437393

I have put these files in the GPX repository with the prefix THUR-

...just thought I'd offer them up for anyone wanting to have some fun on the way out.

Geek screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 08:33 PM
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #524
Geek OP
oot & aboot

That's it... I'm done planning; good luck with the data presented.

Now I have to remember how to get it all into my GPS ... with that task its every man for himself

See you gents in Craig!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #525
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
it's a small detail...
Cleaned, adjusted and ready to throw in the truck
What's the "to throw in the truck" procedure for?