Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #211
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
instruments - if you don't have any holes in the top brace then you don't have a way to mount the instrument cluster.
Why not drill or drill/tap the TT top brace to work with the stock instruments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #212
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Why not drill or drill/tap the TT top brace to work with the stock instruments?
True, I could do that. I've decided to go with the regular TT /7 brace for the versatility it will offer with all the holes ready to go. means I don't have to decide everything right away:) I just have to paypal over some money and should be good to go:)

In other news, not much progress on the bike on my end aside from paying for parts. My transmission was all done back on the 28th, but i didn't want to dive back into the bike until the rest of the parts i've been ordering showed up, and now they have:) I believe I have everything i need to put my tranny back in and do the RMS and oil pump cover. along with that I have new tires (dunlop K70s) and tubes waiting for me, and that whole new front end. I also picked up wheel bearings and swing arm bearings to do... tons o' stuff. I had hoped to get started this weekend after Stoner's tech day, but I ended up doing yard work and building an anti-rabbit fence for my wife's tomattillos. Oh well.

A few pics from Stoner's:

www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #213
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Good News Everyone!

I haven't really worked on the bike much but I think I have completed the Parts Collection phase and am ready to move on to Mini-Tear-Down!

As you can see, i've made a few purchases!

my rebuilt transmission, new brake lines, gaskets, bearings, push-rod tube seals...

rubber parts, brake pads, clip-ons, TT brace, turn signals, (headlight brackets not shown)...

new dual disc front end, new tires and tubes, Por15 tank lining kit...

and of course the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift! Renner helped me pick this up Monday night:)

I would have started the tear down last night, but I had to assemble the lift (easy), then mess around putting first one, then the other bike up there seeing how easy it was - Much easier with a center stand! Then I decided that I should really do some simple maintenance on my honda - using the lift - before I put the beemer up for any length of time. That all means that I hope to start taking apart the bmw this weekend:)

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #214
Werner1111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
How much was the lift, delivered? Would you recommend! I need more tools in my garage:)
Werner1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #215
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner1111 View Post
How much was the lift, delivered? Would you recommend! I need more tools in my garage:)

the lift was $299 after the 50% coupon you can find in many magazines + tax. Renner and I picked it up so no delivery charges other than the gas I bought Renner;). I think the website says this lift has an $89 shipping charge.

It was definitely a 2 man operation to get this thing out of Renner's SUV - it weighs about 350lbs.

I haven't done anything other than lift my bikes and put them back down but the lift is surprisingly sturdy. So far I would recommend it. I have read though that many people replace the front wheel lock and add some tie down points...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #216
Werner1111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Thanks. I didn't know about the coupon. I did a quick search on Craigslist and found a couple of used ones in LA in that price range.

The move has been a bitch and I still wish I'd been able to got to Stoner's Tech Day. Oh well. Your pictures were great and I got a taste of the action. I'm going to start working on the garage this weekend. I'll be picking up some industrial metal shelving (via Craigslist) in the next couple days and hope to get a new workbench (also via Craigslist) that provides more utility than my current setup.

Then it's GBTD next weekend:)
Werner1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #217
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
dang that looks like fun, haha. i wish i had a garage. not too fun working on the bike outside in the GA summer heat. so what kinda old parts you gonna have laying around after this?
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #218
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner1111 View Post
Thanks. I didn't know about the coupon. I did a quick search on Craigslist and found a couple of used ones in LA in that price range.

The move has been a bitch and I still wish I'd been able to got to Stoner's Tech Day. Oh well. Your pictures were great and I got a taste of the action. I'm going to start working on the garage this weekend. I'll be picking up some industrial metal shelving (via Craigslist) in the next couple days and hope to get a new workbench (also via Craigslist) that provides more utility than my current setup.

Then it's GBTD next weekend:)
after GBTD you should come down here, or I should come up there:) well, if my bike isn't in pieces;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt13 View Post
dang that looks like fun, haha. i wish i had a garage. not too fun working on the bike outside in the GA summer heat. so what kinda old parts you gonna have laying around after this?
yeah, the garage is my favorite part of this new house;) as for parts - i think i will only have the old forks and tubes and associated parts.. I might already have a buyer for my single disc master-cylinder, and I'm going to keep the headlight brackets and turn signals in case I ever want to go back to stock for some reason...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #219
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I've said it before - i'm incredibly lucky. Renner came by and made things much easier today as we took apart the bike...

races out thanks to Renner's race puller:)

crank blocked for future work

I've got more work to do this weekend, but decided to take a break:)

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #220
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,331
Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #221
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,010
IIRC, It was at this stage that Spencer suggested we actually use the "lift" feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #222
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

More work done!

transmission is out:)

taking the clutch out with the bolt kit borrowed from Renner:)

blocking the flywheel - a trick courtesy of Renner. I was going to make a tool, but this was so much easier!

Question - is oil coming out of these holes normal?

old rear main seal and oil pump cover exposed. I didn't have philips screws holding the cover on, sadly I had bought the replacement cover and bolts - I might send them back now...

oil pump cover off.

oil pan off! now I need to get the old gasket off...

oil pump strainer - intact:) no missing parts.

Another question - this is a crack like thing in my clutch disc. it worries me. there are several like this:( Do i need a new clutch?

Mike V. stopped by this afternoon and dropped off a few tools and picked up some used parts. I think i'll clean up the housing and change the RMS and oil pump cover tonight...

I hope everyone has had a great weekend:)!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #223
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Evening all! a few parting thoughts from the weekend...

in removing the oil rear main seal I slipped and nicked the wear surface behind the seal:( what do you think? is this something to worry about?

the old gasket came off ok, but left a good residue my finger nail was able to scrape off - oil pan is nice and clean now:)

later everyone:)

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #224
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,673
I don't think that the oil at the flywheel bolts is normal-- there should be a o-ring atthe crankshaft-flywheel junction, that was probably bad. At least it wasn't leaking from around the flywheel bolts onto the clutch.

You have a little ding in the rear thrust washer (there is a corresponding washer on the other side of the rear main bearing, this is the one that gets dislodged when you don't block the crank). The copper material is soft and the ding will probably wipe clean the first time the engine is started, but you'll probably want to obsess-- the thrust washer can be removed with a dental pick (pop it off the two dowell pins) and clean up the ding with a jeweller's file or carefully tap it back down flush. Be careful.

The clutch disc looks like it's been used spiritedly. It may last a few thousand more, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to repalce it. What is it's thickness? How close to the wear limit? What do the two pressure pieces look like? If it's marginal, you can send it all off to SOuthland Clutch for a reline & resurface (I have no direct experience, but I've not sensed negative vibes on them).
Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #225
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
The clutch disc looks like it's been used spiritedly.
good time to come clean regarding the wheelies