ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #61
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,062
boots

ordered a pair from atomic, they are awesome, comfortable enuf to use when I ride my street bike for a long ride.
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #62
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
BP - what is best product to use for maintaining Gaerne Balanced Oiled boots?

On my other boots I use a lanolin based conditioner and waterproofing paste bought at a bike show, works great. I rub it into the leather by hand. Haven't used anything on the Gaerne boots yet.

Thank you.

Jon
I use this:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Revivex-L...ant_p_281.html

on these, and my other leather footwear (I have some Gaerne hikers also). It is really more a water repellant than leather treatment though.

Any good leather conditioner will work also. If you can find an animal oil based one, that is closest to what is used to tan the leather.

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #63
'05Train
Mind is not for rent
 
'05Train's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 911
OK, I need help with sizing.

My CBT Lites and my Doc Martens 1460s are 45s.

My Merrells are 46.5s.

My Nikes are 46s.

So given that these seem to run large, do I get the US 10 (44.5) or the US 11 (46)?
__________________
2005 FXSTB/I
2012 FLHTCUSE7
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #64
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
OK, I need help with sizing.

My CBT Lites and my Doc Martens 1460s are 45s.

My Merrells are 46.5s.

My Nikes are 46s.

So given that these seem to run large, do I get the US 10 (44.5) or the US 11 (46)?
Hi 05Train.

Definitely not the 10/44.5s. I think the Merrills and the Nikes are the relevant benchmarks. FWIW I am a 46 in Nikes and Merrills, and I wear the 11/46s also. I can check my Doc also later.

Hope that helps!!

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #65
'05Train
Mind is not for rent
 
'05Train's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hi 05Train.

Definitely not the 10/44.5s. I think the Merrills and the Nikes are the relevant benchmarks. FWIW I am a 46 in Nikes and Merrills, and I wear the 11/46s also. I can check my Doc also later.

Hope that helps!!

BP
It does, I guess I'll give the 46s a shot.

Thanks!
__________________
2005 FXSTB/I
2012 FLHTCUSE7
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #66
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,788
I don't wear any of the referenced shoes, but I found the Gaerne sizing spot-on to my 12EE shoe size, and as I have wide feet and large calves, I'd say this boot is sized generously.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #67
'05Train
Mind is not for rent
 
'05Train's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 911
Ordered.

Leaving For Colorado next week, so hopefully they get here first.
__________________
2005 FXSTB/I
2012 FLHTCUSE7
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #68
Turbocelica
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Turbocelica's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 238
Care advice for neglected boots.....

So about six months ago I last used my Gaerne boots. On the way home from that ride I wrecked my truck into a rock wall. and jacked up the suspension. So I dealt with fixing that instead of taking proper care of my boots. So now they have a light coating of dirt/mud on them that is about 6 months old.

Any advice on how to refurb them?

I'm thinking of dirt/mud removal either wet or dry followed. Dry if necessarily then fallow that with the recommended leather treatment.

Any tips for this??

Thanks,
Justin
Turbocelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #69
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocelica View Post
So about six months ago I last used my Gaerne boots. On the way home from that ride I wrecked my truck into a rock wall. and jacked up the suspension. So I dealt with fixing that instead of taking proper care of my boots. So now they have a light coating of dirt/mud on them that is about 6 months old.

Any advice on how to refurb them?

I'm thinking of dirt/mud removal either wet or dry followed. Dry if necessarily then fallow that with the recommended leather treatment.

Any tips for this??

Thanks,
Justin
If the mud is dry, get a nylon brush and brush it off. That's all. Once that is done, use something like this, which is recommended by Gore:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Revivex-L...ant_p_281.html

Hope that helps.

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #70
'05Train
Mind is not for rent
 
'05Train's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 911
Big shout-out to Atomic Moto. Got a call from Brian today about my order to let me know he couldn't get my boots to me before I left on my trip. Turns out, I'm a dumbass and I'm not leaving until the following Friday. Boots are coming, and Brian's call insures that I'll be an Atomic customer for life.

Thanks man!
__________________
2005 FXSTB/I
2012 FLHTCUSE7
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #71
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Big shout-out to Atomic Moto. Got a call from Brian today about my order to let me know he couldn't get my boots to me before I left on my trip. Turns out, I'm a dumbass and I'm not leaving until the following Friday. Boots are coming, and Brian's call insures that I'll be an Atomic customer for life.

Thanks man!
Nope, thanks to you kind sir!!

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #72
Turbocelica
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Turbocelica's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
If the mud is dry, get a nylon brush and brush it off. That's all. Once that is done, use something like this, which is recommended by Gore:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Revivex-L...ant_p_281.html

Hope that helps.

BP
Thanks!!! I'll give that stuff a try. Hopefully I can find it locally and be able to apply this weekend.
I know where to go for new boots when these give up on me, (due to neglect) but they are roughly 15 years old so far!
Justin
Turbocelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #73
'05Train
Mind is not for rent
 
'05Train's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 911
The boots showed up today. The fit is perfect and photos don't do them justice.

Thanks!
__________________
2005 FXSTB/I
2012 FLHTCUSE7
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #74
tokendog
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 9
Cry

Oh man...

I just returned a set of Gaerne G-Midlands after ordering them from Atomic Moto (Fantastic service btw) because I'm a size 11.5 and the Midlands were too tight (ordered a size 11).

I decided to go with the Oiled Balance because of the reputation for comfort and fit, but I went with a size 12 due to the experience with the Midland.

Now I read the Oiled Balance are truer to fit and may be too big... I'm hoping I am lucky and the fit is spot on! I really want to try them out in the field. :(
tokendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #75
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,948
Quick video review of the Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots. Little rough at this still, but hopefully the info is good:



More at www.atomic-moto.com/balance_oiled.

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 11:55 AM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014