User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #991
XTourer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cry Ahoyyyy Dear Sir

"Even though we had an excellent home made Porto in Porto (in a private home) and met a (very!) forthcoming ADVrider, nothing happened. OK, the bike failed three times, but that is not what I mean. The flowers were beyond comprehension. But with one exception we ate dinner alone. With one exception we had lunch alone. Simply: We failed to get to know Portugal. Thus, I have nothing to report. We rode there and then we rode there, doesn't cut it as a Ride Report, I think."

Dear Sir,

I'll be claiming the next few lines of your beautiful RR, and try to explain what happened to me in the last two days. I discovered your RR while planning my trip (early June) towards Spain, France and Italy. I got hooked.... fast !

As I'm trying to get these lines to make some kind of sense, I'll tell you that it's great fun to see a Norwegian so passionate about Italy (or should I say Tuscany), the fixation with good expresso, the rides with good food and the always present thought of a cigar (or ette). For a Portuguese, that can relate to all the above, dear sir, this was heavenly reading.At the South of Europe, we are proud of these mundane things, you know for sure,and we chalenge anyone that says anyother way.
With this in mind, I went from "ahhhh";...."wowwww";..." got to go there...";"maybe i'll try that "; to a very cavernous "ooohhhhhh" accompanied with a typical arching of the shoulders, and a scratch to the head ! When i got to the part of your trip to Portugal (my land ! ehhehe) I was reading like superman, but to my dismay, Portugal just didn't do it for you. So the proud Portuguese guy from Porto, got sad and decided to make his only second post in ADVForuns (hope that counts too) to ask you "when will you comeback?"
I don't cook tuscan cuisine, but i'd love to show our northern specialties if you come round a second time, and promise that you won't lunch or dine alone ! And I'll be serving a good glass of Douro wine (or two...or three....) !

Cheers!

P.S. the "oohhhhh" part didn't last long. Don't you worry, it's just the southern European nagging ! hehehe
XTourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #992
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post

Ladies and Gentlemen,
You simply have no idea of how much it pleases me to see that this meager contribution of mine is kept alive by your comments.

The report from Spain will never be completed. We did not take proper notes of what we ate and where we stayed. We scribbled on back of envelopes and the like, thinking that the photos would tell us the rest. That was utterly wrong. Even a week or two after our return it became obvious that we had failed our task as reporters.

Neither will there ever be a report from Portugal. This is a more sad story. The thing is: After our excellent trip to Greece Portugal failed to impress us. Before you cry fault, let me explain.

In Greece we met many interesting people. We were there while the economy was heading towards the abyss while everyone ignored it. Roman ruins and "coffee". We were invited to the home of strangers, we talked to scores of people, Capa was even invited to dance like Zorba. And even though the "single line"-conclusion was "Poor Greeks, they are heading toward disaster with their eyes wide open", it was very interesting.

Even though we had an excellent home made Porto in Porto (in a private home) and met a (very!) forthcoming ADVrider, nothing happened. OK, the bike failed three times, but that is not what I mean. The flowers were beyond comprehension. But with one exception we ate dinner alone. With one exception we had lunch alone. Simply: We failed to get to know Portugal. Thus, I have nothing to report. We rode there and then we rode there, doesn't cut it as a Ride Report, I think.

I have to find some comfort in lunch. This day, for example, two photographers from Norway share my table with Scott from ADVrider. Not much is needed before I am happy. An ADVrider having lunch with me, Tuscan sun, and some good food.

Than you again for your time; you are all welcome to have lunch with me!

[TaSK]
I think many can relate to what you are saying. Ive been here on ADV Rider for a good number of years now and in the past have contributed a number of ride reports. In the last few years the quality of ride reports from various parts of the world has become such that I dont feel the need to even report many of my rides, unless the ride is something extraordinary. My last report was about nothing more than endless curves, stupid grins and beer. Nothing really earth shattering let alone profound. Your ongoing report is different. Its one of those that leaves me just wanting to read rather than write. You and your wife have a talent for teaching people what is really important in life. Please dont stop.

Given your proximity to Portugal its bound to either find you or youll find it. My belief in this is based on a report from my sister who has traveled to most parts of the world. She just returned from some extended travels through Belgium, France, Spain and Portugal. She and her husband were gushing about Portugal. They fell in love with the place and to put things into perspective, they were the ones who turned me on to Italy. So please, go back and find the real Portugal. When you do, please tell the rest of us about it in your oh so unique way so we can put it on our bucket list. As Ive said in the past youre living the life I was meant to live, dont make me come over there and take it back

P.S. planning to be over in September for a ride through North Eastern Italy, Greece, Croatia, Bulgaria and back to Munich in time for Oktoberfest. If you and your wife want to tour eastern Europe with some Germans and Americans send a PM. Itll be chaotic and spontaneous rather than planned. Thats the way we roll. All up in the air at this point which is normal.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #993
Soty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
P.S. planning to be over in September for a ride through North Eastern Italy, Greece, Croatia, Bulgaria and back to Munich in time for Oktoberfest. If you and your wife want to tour eastern Europe with some Germans and Americans send a PM. It’ll be chaotic and spontaneous rather than planned. That’s the way we roll. All up in the air at this point which is normal.
RonS,

Sorry for the off-topic. If it happens to visit Bulgaria it will be my pleasure to meet you and ride at some places. September is really fantastic season here.

Inspired from the excellent RRs of Tagesk, last year I made a fantastic trip over Tuscany. So go ahead Tagesk, you have lot more to tell us !
Soty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #994
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb ADVriders for dinner

We've been honored tonight by having no less than two ADVriders for dinner.
One of them does not ride a BMW. He is stranded as his bike has broken down. For good, it is feared.
The other one rides a 12GS and arrived from France today; he will depart for Slovenia tomorrow.
Here they are, haeggis and marty hill having Dry Martini on the terrace.

The ADVrider Marty Hill seems to enjoy his Martini.

After the Martini we moved inside.
For antipasti we had asparigi alla Fiorentina. For primo a pasta con salmone. As secondo no less than vitello tonnato caldo. With all this Chianti. We ended with torta di ricotta and a glass (or two) of Muscati d'Asti. As digestivo a tiny glass of home made limoncello.

Thank you for coming all this way, and keeping us company the whole evening!

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #995
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,215
One of the highlights of my travels by moto. Thanks so much for a wonderful meal and very good company.
Finally I've joined the long list of lucky riders who have met both of you and enjoyed your company.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #996
Cooltours
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,481
Man! Tage! I know your pasta's fantastic, but NOW I'm gobsmacked.... You had visitors from Nazareth at your desk!!?
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #997
Nordkapp55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Nordkapp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #998
noboostcontrol
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Coming to tuscany in early june! Will ride from rome along the west coast to Pisa. from there on the plan is not clear. Can't wait Never been to Italy, looks great reading this thread

Hilsen fra gamle Norge!
noboostcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #999
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboostcontrol View Post
Coming to tuscany in early june!
Hilsen fra gamle Norge!
Vi er ledig frem til 19 juni.
Jeg serverer lunch!
Hold meg orientert s vi kan koordinere serveringen med reiseplanene.

[TaSK]
Old 05-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #1000
noboostcontrol
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
Vi er ledig frem til 19 juni.
Jeg serverer lunch!
Hold meg orientert s vi kan koordinere serveringen med reiseplanene.

[TaSK]
Regner med vre i Pisa-traktene rundt 12-14 Juni
noboostcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #1001
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
Ok in Tuscany from the earthquake ?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #1002
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Ok in Tuscany from the earthquake ?
If it weren't for all the phone calls, we would not have noticed.

[TaSK]
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #1003
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Wow

Thank you tagesk for a wonderful two days reading this thread! Truly awesome.

My wife and I are headed to Europe this fall and I hope we find ourselves in Tuscany.

Be well.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #1004
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
this thread deserves way more stars
bravo!

Couldn't agree more, great thread! Wonderful report.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #1005
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Sardinia

On a week-long stay on Sardina.
Today's lesson is that when the road for all practical purposes ends, turning around might in fact be a good idea.
I also learned that if I am going to drop the bike, I should not do it in a place where there is, well, not very much traffic.

Finally, a 2001 Vernaccia di Orestano Riserva (which is a white wine) has enough power to subdue even a Peccorino Sardo!

Report is forthcoming!

[TaSK]