Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #46
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRydr View Post
Thanks for your post Jack. I'm headed to the shredder now to destroy my June itinerary.

See you in Glenallen June 30th?
If I find my way back from D2D by then.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #47
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
If I find my way back from D2D by then.

Jack has a tendency to get lost...er....wander.
AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #48
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
Jack has a tendency to get lost...er....wander.
HayDee's been talking to you, hasn't she?

Haul Road Primer
Old 05-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #49
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Jack's new book

Forget Gregory Frazier and his book.....It's time for Jack to be published.

No need to buy a Mile Post.....read jack's book.

The forward could be co-written by KHuddy and Fighter.

And a reality show staring The Dutchess.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #50
Thebes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Groceries?

Pardon my interruption of the humor, but this seems like the best place to ask.
I am on a very strict diet and typically do my own cooking for safety- can't eat any grains or food additives, and numerous other restrictions. This is a treatment proscribed by my physician for Crohn's disease in lieu of steroids etc. If I screw this up I can get profoundly ill. Sometimes I can eat out if I can talk to cook staff and I trust them, my diet is basically plain cooked meat and veggies, and sometimes this can be a problem at restaurants.

What is the availability of basic foods like fresh (or frozen) chicken, pork chops, fish, veggies, fruits, etc?
I'm a little worried that I might only find things like canned soup, SPAM, hotdogs, and Doritos- if I find groceries at all at remote stops.

I haven't seen this discussed before, presumably because most Adv'ers can do pizza-and-a-beer without passing blood from it.
Thebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #51
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Oil View Post
Alcan Rider,
Thanks for all the information on Alaska. I have been through Haul Road Chronicles, The Lure of the Dalton, and My Evening Rides. Your information is a gold mine for anyone planning a trip up there. A buddy and I are planning a trip up there in July 2013. I never want to wish my days away but after looking at all the amazing pictures you have posted I can't wait for 2013.
Thanks for all the material you contribute to ADVRider.
Cheers
+1......Make sure you stop in Fairbanks at his favorite fudge shop, pick him up some and then drop by Glenallen for a visit!!!! Ask for the $2 tour to Valdez!!

(hope this gets you more fudge Jack!!)
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #52
LDRydr
S10 Pilot

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
+1......Make sure you stop in Fairbanks at his favorite fudge shop, pick him up some and then drop by Glenallen for a visit!!!! Ask for the $2 tour to Valdez!!

(hope this gets you more fudge Jack!!)
Did somebody say fudge? I must be made aware of this location. To miss a fudge shop on my Alaska trip would surely leave me greatly disappointed (that and I don't want to be empty-handed if/when I meet Jack).

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” -- Helen Keller
LDRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #53
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRydr View Post
Did somebody say fudge? I must be made aware of this location. To miss a fudge shop on my Alaska trip would surely leave me greatly disappointed (that and I don't want to be empty-handed if/when I meet Jack).
don't remember what flavor my rent for the night was.....but this was the shop!! The one way streets and construction last year were a bit confusing to get to it......

http://www.thefudgepot.com/
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #54
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 855
Well OK Then!

OK Jack, I just read a good bit of your post to the MRS. who is now riding along on her bike. I'm leaving in 36 hours . See ya at D2D.

Ed

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #55
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
don't remember what flavor my rent for the night was.....
One of the flavors was Espresso - one of my favorites. You brung a couple more - which earned you the $2.50 Valdez tour.

Quote:
The one way streets and construction last year were a bit confusing to get to it......
But it was worth it. Thanks, Andy.
Haul Road Primer
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #56
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebes View Post
What is the availability of basic foods like fresh (or frozen) chicken, pork chops, fish, veggies, fruits, etc?
I'm a little worried that I might only find things like canned soup, SPAM, hotdogs, and Doritos- if I find groceries at all at remote stops.
Cities, even smaller ones, will have everything you need. But the small communities you will pass through along the way will have a relatively poor selection, if anything at all, so stock up when you can.

The problem up here is the extremely high cost of refrigeration. Forget the jokes about selling refrigerators to eskimos, it gets hot here during normal summers and the expense of running refrigeration is exorbitant. I know, as for years I maintained most of the commercial refrigeration in this area.

What you do have in your favor is that large enough cities are spaced an easy day's ride apart, so you won't have to carry four or five days worth of perishables. Camp close enough to a city that you can get up in the morning, ride on in to get what you need for that day's meals, then head for the next city and do the same. You might not have steak and eggs for breakfast before you hit the road, but you will have time to work up a good appetite before stopping to cook.
Haul Road Primer
Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #57
miked68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Wicked Just go!!

I'm currently getting ready for my 4th trip to Alaska, Yukon, NW Territories in the last 6 years. the 1st trip I made all the standard mistakes; took too much stuff, went with a schedule & plan, etc. I got lucky and had pretty good weather most of the trip and traveled 7,500 miles round trip with almost no difficulites. I took a KLR with hardly any modifications except bigger windscreen and better seat. cheap reliable bike with large gas tank.

I had been talking about the trip for over a year and one Sunday i just said the hell with it, loaded the bike and left the next day. figured I'd "learn the hard way" on the first trip; and it's still my favorite trip to Alaska.

when people ask me about my trips i tell them they can plan or they can just go!! i strongly recommend "just go" !

or you can sit at your computer and read the "Alaska" threads and someday you'll die saying " I wish . . . "

miked68 screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 07:56 AM
miked68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #58
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked68 View Post
I'm currently getting ready for my 4th trip to Alaska, Yukon, NW Territories in the last 6 years. the 1st trip I made all the standard mistakes; took too much stuff, went with a schedule & plan, etc. I got lucky and had pretty good weather most of the trip and traveled 7,500 miles round trip with almost no difficulites. I took a KLR with hardly any modifications except bigger windscreen and better seat. cheap reliable bike with large gas tank.

I had been talking about the trip for over a year and one Sunday i just said the hell with it, loaded the bike and left the next day. figured I'd "learn the hard way" on the first trip; and it's still my favorite trip to Alaska.

when people ask me about my trips i tell them they can plan or they can just go!! i strongly recommend "just go" !

or you can sit at your computer and read the "Alaska" threads and someday you'll die saying " I wish . . . "
Well said. I am guilty as charged.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #59
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

And More...

This exchange: Trails End BMW prompted the addition of another paragraph or two.

Your comments are welcome, as always. If they are in opposition to the author's views, they will be ignored, as always.
Haul Road Primer
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #60
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives View Post
A reality show starring me? You can't be serious. I'm one of the most-boring people in this region.
Except for all those stories about you dancing on tables.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote