User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,880
Isabel Pass Trail

Took a little jaunt to Fairbanks yesterday (In the cage, thankfully. There was a ground blizzard blowing all through the Alaska Range, both coming and going.) and when I got home I pulled up Google Earth to mark a few more places while they were fresh in my mind.
While looking over the satellite view I spotted this trail that I've never noticed from the highway: N63.352169 W145.726285 Looks like it goes quite a way back into the mountains - maybe to some mines.
Anybody familiar with it?
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
ehagen
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Me and some buddies are headed up to Alaska in June to do some riding. We were thinking about doing the Isabel Pass trail. Has anyone done it? Is it worth doing? What's good along the way?

Thanks in advance!
ehagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
If I'm not mistaken, you're looking at the route to the ArcticMan race. There is the old road to the Isabel Pass pipeline camp, then the trail continues from there. There may be other trails leading up to the glacier too. That place is covered in snowmachine tracks in March and April!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagen View Post
Me and some buddies are headed up to Alaska in June to do some riding. We were thinking about doing the Isabel Pass trail. Has anyone done it? Is it worth doing? What's good along the way?

Thanks in advance!
While I still have not gone very far off the highway there, it looks more like a trail back to someone's mine rather than a trail that goes into a particularly attractive area in the mountains. There are probably better places to explore, especially north of Tok along the Alaska Highway or in the Delta Jct/Big Delta area.

Since it's in that same area, you would probably enjoy trekking across the Denali Hwy, and exploring some of the side trails off that road.
Haul Road Primer
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJEff View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you're looking at the route to the ArcticMan race. There is the old road to the Isabel Pass pipeline camp, then the trail continues from there. There may be other trails leading up to the glacier too. That place is covered in snowmachine tracks in March and April!
Since I have studiously avoided being anywhere near the Arctic Man madness my knowledge of its location is sorely lacking. But it was my impression that the road branching off the Richardson just south of the Richardson Monument, leading back to the Gulkana Glacier, was the one to Arctic Man. It goes off around Mile 198 or so, whereas the one I mentioned turns off at Mile 213. But... I dunno.
Haul Road Primer
Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
Oh, I was way off on that one! Please disregard my input. I may have ridden that on snowmobile, but it was many years ago!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote