Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #76
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,608
So glad no one was hurt! That looked like one serious fire. Did my eyes decieve me or was the 9fiddies swing arm melted in half! I know they're only machines but seeing those photos made me want to take a minutes silence
Night Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #77
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,498
Hilslamer,

The detectors were a standard issue 120 volt, battery back-up unit (linked throughout the house) sold by Home Depot. I think maybe the brand is Fire Safe but not sure. Talking to the fire chief, apparently there are two types of smokes for residential. One type senses particulate matter and the other senses more like chemical composition. And then of course there are CO2 units as well. When I rebuild the house, I will use a mix of the three types spread around the house and all linked. One goes off, all go off.

So far, insurance has paid nothing. We are still working on pricing and valuing all the items. But the good news is, my coverage is good, my values are high, and thus far they aren't arguing with me about anything. Today we went through all the items from the garage. Every little piece of minutia. For instance, there are no tires left, but there are balls of cords that used to be inside the tires. When I claimed 8 new, unused M/C tires, they didn't question it at all. Just asked what kind of tires they were. I am not lying to them or fudging numbers, and they are not hassling me on details. It's actually really nice. The 660 will be covered by homeowners insurance (good) and the 950 will be covered by Geico (not so good). The good news is all the 950 and 660 spares and extra wheels and parts will be covered by homeowners. Mustang covered by State Farm, and we are now working on getting an independant classic car value adjustment to try and get the car value more in line with what I think it is worth. I will be quite pleased to get anything more than $20K. We'll see.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #78
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Sorry to hear about your loss Brent, but as you've stated it's just stuff. The important things like your family are safe.
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #79
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
660 Rally Replica just hit the flea market!!

I hope this helps...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795039
sjeproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #80
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,442
Lucky, all were ok...Never like losing our toys...Bad thing is I have 3 battery tenders in my garage as we speak...trying to figure out what to with them, I rarely ride my KLR anymore and I try to keep it on so it is charged if anyone wants to buy it. My BMW has parasitic draw and will kill itself in about 2 weeks without a tender. I also keep on our Polaris Ranger. Might need to build an out building for them.Good luck dealing with insurance company
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #81
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
..Bad thing is I have 3 battery tenders in my garage as we speak...trying to figure out what to with them, ...
See Post #48

Brent,
Glad things are going pretty smoothly with your Insurance companies. Most are not like what is represented on TV commercials by lawyers.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #82
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Glad to hear everyone's all right.

Makes me wonder about leaving my bike on a charger. I don't do it often, but it's usually when I go on vacation without the bike and it'll be sitting for a week or two. I use a BatteryTender trickle charger but . . . I'm a little nervous about that now.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #83
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 722
Brent,

Was it a Shorai lithium battery?

I keep my 950 with the origional battery on a Battery Tender Jr. when parked. At 0.75A on a lead-acid battery, I feel the risk is next to nothing... even after reading this thread.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #84
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

I am not going to say the risk is next to nothing, but I was on a car battery charger on the low 5 amp setting. I think this was the problem. I feel like a .75 amp battery tender is probably safe, but I still won't do it in the future.

Drkayak, I do not believe I was on a Shorai battery, but I really don't know.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #85
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Hilslamer,

The detectors were a standard issue 120 volt, battery back-up unit (linked throughout the house) sold by Home Depot. I think maybe the brand is Fire Safe but not sure. Talking to the fire chief, apparently there are two types of smokes for residential. One type senses particulate matter and the other senses more like chemical composition. And then of course there are CO2 units as well. When I rebuild the house, I will use a mix of the three types spread around the house and all linked. One goes off, all go off.
Finally caught this, thanks for the info on the detectors. I should have more of them, even though I presently rent. When you mentioned testing them, how did you test them?
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #86
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Glad to hear the family is all ok, damn shame about all the stuff you lost but...
You sound like you have a great attitude and outlook on life.
Good luck with the recovery effort.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #87
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
Finally caught this, thanks for the info on the detectors. I should have more of them, even though I presently rent. When you mentioned testing them, how did you test them?
I am thinkinbg of testing each type in the future (in the new house) with a series of random tests. Blow out a candle right under the detector and see if the smoke is enough tom trigger the alarm. Light a piece of paper and blow it out under the detector. Etc. Then do it under each different type of detector.

As an update, I have gotten some information from my insurance companies. Geico is going to give me $5300 for the 950 after a $1000 deductable and I am quite pleased with that. Allstate (not State farm as I said previously) is now up to just under $20k on my Mustang which is what I was looking to get. The catch is they say it will be listed with the DMV as NOT REBUILDABLE SALVAGE and if I keep the car I will only be able to sell it as parts. This does not meet my needs so I am trying to negotiate it. Time will tell.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 06-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #88
TooTallRacing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
So sorry for what you and your family are going through.

I think I will walk out to my garage and unplug my battery tender.
TooTallRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #89
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Very sorry about the loss of the "things",Brent....thankfully all of your famly and pets have their health ....so every day is a beautiful day..
Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #90
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

Yep, as long as the family is good, all is well. Got the settlement check on my Mustang in the mail yesterday, now just holding my breath waiting for the settlement check on my Adv from Geico ins. We'll see!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50