Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #2866
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

 4:15am... Dawn Patrol

This was the view early today. These Airs are about ready to get their thermistor coating, just as soon as I finish my orange so I don't get scurvy. The epoxy used for this process is filled with a high ratio of Calcium Carbonate powder. The infusion of the mineral powder turns the otherwise low-viscosity liquid into a thixotropic gel. The paste-like gel clings to surfaces of the three thermistors in the IICE Air, and cures to a hard waterproof shell.

A side benefit is that the mineral filler allows the epoxy to cure faster, so these will be ready for final test tonight.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #2867
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post

Poolside- My 1150 runs pretty well, but it's hard to keep a steady speed below 10 mph without [disengaging the] clutch [intermittently].

At highway speeds I'm hoping for less hesitation on the throttle. If my bike ran as well in the summer as it does at 35 degrees, I'd be pretty stoked.
I own an 1150 myself, and I wanted the same things!

You already know that 10mph is about the lowest speed possible in first gear. 10mph is just about the standard idle speed in first. The solution is to reduce the idle speed. The motor on my bike is set to idle at 850rpm. That is pretty slow, and mostly works in Los Angeles rush hour traffic. To go slower than the 850rpm idle speed, it's possible to drag the brake a little.

Re throttle hesitation, that is primarily a function of throttle tip-in response. The Air primarily improves open loop acceleration, and partially improves throttle tip-in response.

The Cool primarily improves throttle tip-in response. One of the secondary functions of the Cool is that it improves idle.

The primary function of the Smooth is also related to the above, but differently. We'll be getting into that soon enough.

I know what you mean about the bike running worse the hotter it gets outside. While adjusting the response of the Motronic ECU, that 'cool running' you mentioned was sort of a performance target in the back of my mind.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 05-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #2868
BenFongTorres
Banned

Oddometer: 831
PS...you have PM's. Thanks for a reply to a couple of questions.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #2869
Poolside OP
Syndicated

 12:00am... Jim's Midnight Auto

Per usual, everything passed final test aok. And I'm sure you can see what's happening here.

Lights out. I am skipping reveille this morning I tell you what.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #2870
Winkelfinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
One of those is mine - if I can get it ordered :-)

Hi Poolside,

sent you a PM regarding shipping to the R1200GS homeland.... :-)
I know this is the last batch
Old 05-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #2871
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
I own an 1150 myself, and I wanted the same things!

You already know that 10mph is about the lowest speed possible in first gear. 10mph is just about the standard idle speed in first. The solution is to reduce the idle speed. The motor on my bike is set to idle at 850rpm. That is pretty slow, and mostly works in Los Angeles rush hour traffic. To go slower than the 850rpm idle speed, it's possible to drag the brake a little.

Re throttle hesitation, that is primarily a function of throttle tip-in response. The Air primarily improves open loop acceleration, and partially improves throttle tip-in response.

The Cool primarily improves throttle tip-in response. One of the secondary functions of the Cool is that it improves idle.

The primary function of the Smooth is also related to the above, but differently. We'll be getting into that soon enough.

I know what you mean about the bike running worse the hotter it gets outside. While adjusting the response of the Motronic ECU, that 'cool running' you mentioned was sort of a performance target in the back of my mind.

Hi Jim,
It looks like you've had a successful run of Airs. Where will the Cool connect and what signal will it modify? When will you be delivering it. I'd love to data log it. Learned how to run my GS-911 in dyno-sim mode.
Roger
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #2872
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessitori View Post

Do you have a solution for a 2002 F650gs? Is your system similar to the booster plug in terms of operation?
Yes, the IICE Air works with every BMW fuel-injected bike, including your F650.

The IICE Air is adjustable. It needs to be adjustable to work with our upcoming products. The IICE Cool and IICE Smooth each adjust the fueling in different parts of the ECU operational range. For the Air to work properly with those fueling changes it must be adjustable.

A partial yes to your second question. According to the various competitive products advertising, they each make some type of change to how the ECU reads the air temperature. I have tested a couple of them, and I even have some x-rays, and I have no reason to doubt that they do change the air temperature input.

I am familiar with the various ways that can be used to adjust the air temperature input, but I do not know the exact method each product employs. But what I can tell you is that after JJ and I started this thread, each of the product websites reduced the extent of their exaggerated or impossible claims. One by one the product descriptions were brought more into line with the content of this thread as it developed.

The first post of this thread contains a few links to some additional commentary on these subjects.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #2873
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial9xs View Post

PS...you have PM's. Thanks for a reply to a couple of questions.
I think this should cover it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post18697959

Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #2874
MSteven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Alright! I'll be looking for it, although my 1100 GS is split in half right now getting a VW clutch plate.
Instead of ground washers, I made curved oblong plates that have the pin hole and the two 7mm bolt holes in them.
Right now (Well, earlier today) I am filing them to final shape.

I can't wait to see how this runs with the thingy (I can't remember the real name it's been sooooo long.)
compared to the Techlusion unit it had on it.
Thanks Poolside, you're doing a cool thing here.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #2875
bodybomber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
This may have been covered and I missed it. Why do I not see the -10,20,and 30 degree offset when looking at the realtime readings with a gs911? The bike sat overnight. Both cylinder head,engine and intake(no change setting) temps were within a few degrees. When I changed the air settings it showed +9,+1 and -6. The bike only runs better with the -30 seting in use. I have done the same test with 2 IICE Air's. So its not just a defective unit.
89 ZX10
Old 05-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #2876
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybomber View Post

This may have been covered and I missed it. Why do I not see the -10,20,and 30 degree offset when looking at the realtime readings with a gs911? The bike sat overnight. Both cylinder head,engine and intake(no change setting) temps were within a few degrees. When I changed the air settings it showed +9,+1 and -6. The bike only runs better with the -30 seting in use. I have done the same test with 2 IICE Air's. So its not just a defective unit.
Ok troll, move along now. Thanks for stopping by. 

Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #2877
bodybomber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
not trolling pm sent
89 ZX10
Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #2878
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Ok troll, move along now. Thanks for stopping by. 

Troll???
Methinks that is a valid question. The GS 911 should show 0 and the 3 offsets as set by the jumper.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #2879
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post

Methinks that is a valid question. The GS 911 should show 0 and the 3 offsets as set by the jumper.
And it does.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #2880
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177
Poolside,

Good day!!!

Long story short... I had a 2007 GSA with a Remus exhaust and K&N style filter, and had installed a Techlusion. I had the lean pops sorted and it ran great. I sold the bike to a fellow inmate... Fast forward 3 years. I bought the bike back and the Techlusion is disconnected, the bike pops like crazy on decel so I hook the techlusion back up and it is not functioning.

My thoughts here... Does your system allow any adjustments for adding fuel (making it richer) to compensate for the increased airflow? Do you feel going with your setup will take care of my issues, or should I send the techlusion device back for service?

I tried reading through some of the threads, but was unable to find exactly this issue with a direct answer.

Thank you!

Wattner
Closed Thread