Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,790
When in heavy traffic, easier clutch action is very welcome.

I have felt my hand muscles burning from often clutch operation. My personal opinion as always.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #17
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Yay, another which hydraulic fluid should I use in my ktm thread.
Please don't feel compelled if it's a bother. Yes, it's another "which XXXXX should I use in my YYYY" thread, posted for reasons clearly explained in my preamble.

Having said that, I'll keep you posted on the impact a baby-powder scented motorcycle has on the Wyoming motorcycling community.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugdog View Post
No: for our bikes (and babies) i avoid "Baby Oil" which often contains perfumes, dyes, and other potentially compromising ingredients.

As always, read that label ...

~
I only mentioned baby oil as hook for the thread title.

Now I'm torn between ATF & mineral oil. Nuts.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #19
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Crap. I got sucked into this. Sorry, but I call BS on "making the clutch action slower". It's a closed hydraulic system, and although there may be a difference in lever pull (I sure can't tell if there is) there is no difference on the "action" of the clutch.
For me, it was noticable when cold, like when bike is left out camping in the mountains or at a snow camp. Its not a big deal. I warmer climes I agree, most wouldn't notice the difference.
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Just installed my new Oberon cylinder. I removed the original, filled the master with fluid and just left the hose hanging to flush and "gravity bleed" the master and line. Mounted the slave and filled it with a baster. Then attached the line and only had to pump the lever and crack the bleeder maybe 3 or 4 times. Clutch works PERFECT. Amazingly easy to shift and find neutral with a properly working unit. I think the entire operation took an hour tops.

Oh, my fluid choice....Amsoil Synthetic ATF.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...

Av8rPaul screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 10:54 PM
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post

Oh, my fluid choice....Amzoil Synthetic ATF.
Ditto... AmsOil ATF
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #22
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvGa View Post
Ditto... AmsOil ATF
Yup-- works great.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
As a mechanic with 45 years experience (which doesn't mean shit, I know, but I've had a lot of oil on my hands) on everything from RC plane engines, drag racing equipment, motorcycles, snowcats, heavy equipment, etc. this (and similar) questions always get my goat.

Yes, you can substitute a lot of things for various fluids in any equipment. However, most likely they are NOT the same.

For example, baby oil might have additives that make it absorb water rather than letting it evaporate. It might have perfume, talc (fine mineral - read rocks). Mineral oil can have jojoba oil, wax, etc. and it is not required to be listed on the label. ATF has friction enhancers (to make the clutches grab) which would be a microscpic impurity in a hydraulic type of oil. Granted, it will not have all of that stuff, but it will probably have some of it or something else

Why would you want to feed your expensive baby less than the proper formula just to save $0.80 an ounce? (2 oz Magura Blood = $5, 16 oz good mineral oil = $9)

Just my thoughts. I'm sure yours will vary!

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

The friction modifiers in ATF are quite pure, they are designed to change the shear load on the fluid to increase clutch performance. I, like others who have switched to the synthetic ATF, saw how nasty the stock mineral oil looked and the stuff that was in it. ATF is an excellent fluid for promoting seal life and the correct viscosity and that is why I went with it in my aftermarket slave cylinder install. I'm sure fork oil would work well, but I read CJ's comments on how many miles he's run with the ATF with zero failures so it sounded good to me.

100% agree with you on baby oil, I believe the original poster mentioned he was joking about that to draw comments to his thread.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #25
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
... ATF is an excellent fluid for promoting seal life and the correct viscosity ....
...And it is RED, so it is one less thing to diagnose as a mimicked oil leak.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #26
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvGa View Post
...And it is RED, so it is one less thing to diagnose as a mimicked oil leak.
And it looks SPECTACULAR spread all over the garage floor & wall, bike, etc., after you hit your pressure backfilling/bleeding system with too big a shot of high-pressure air.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #27
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
And it looks SPECTACULAR spread all over the garage floor & wall, bike, etc., after you hit your pressure backfilling/bleeding system with too big a shot of high-pressure air.
IBA #33
Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
As a mechanic with 45 years experience (which doesn't mean shit, I know, but I've had a lot of oil on my hands) on everything from RC plane engines, drag racing equipment, motorcycles, snowcats, heavy equipment, etc. this (and similar) questions always get my goat.

Yes, you can substitute a lot of things for various fluids in any equipment. However, most likely they are NOT the same.

For example, baby oil might have additives that make it absorb water rather than letting it evaporate. It might have perfume, talc (fine mineral - read rocks). Mineral oil can have jojoba oil, wax, etc. and it is not required to be listed on the label. ATF has friction enhancers (to make the clutches grab) which would be a microscpic impurity in a hydraulic type of oil. Granted, it will not have all of that stuff, but it will probably have some of it or something else

Why would you want to feed your expensive baby less than the proper formula just to save $0.80 an ounce? (2 oz Magura Blood = $5, 16 oz good mineral oil = $9)

I agree with you on this. Why the HELL don't people just order one of the small bottles when they order there parts. you're not saving money using something else, your just being cheep. And just because you cant buy it in your town doesn't mean that the nearest KTM shop can't sale it to you and throw it in the mail for you to have in a day or two.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
I agree with you on this. Why the HELL don't people just order one of the small bottles when they order there parts. you're not saving money using something else, your just being cheep. And just because you cant buy it in your town doesn't mean that the nearest KTM shop can't sale it to you and throw it in the mail for you to have in a day or two.
I asked for an alternative to the factory spec, received some credible suggestions, and am utilizing one of those right now, with no apparent ill effects. If being RESOURCEFUL doesn't agree with your philosophy, then please by all means seek more agreeable solutions to problems like these, and if merely reading of solutions like the one I chose causes you such acute displeasure, just button your lip & find another thread.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
The friction modifiers in ATF are long chain polymers, not a handful of grit. Also contains friction enhancers, anti foaming, anti oxidising agents, anti moister...Given the choice I’d use it...oh I do.