User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
gs_lad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Cool2 Replacing heated grips (with non OEM ones)

Hello from Greece this is my first post but I have to say that I ve been reading this site for quite some time and it is one of my favorites.
Today I replaced my bikes grips. I didnt mind them being too thin as some point out, it just so happens that the plastic had started to become too sticky and unpleasant to grab on due to its 3+ year exposure to the sun and the occasional use of the heating feature.

I went to a local moto-accesory store and bought what I was suggested which was a pair of "ariete" grips, specifically manufactured for BMW heated grips.

At 27 euro the price was a bit sour, but then again, the oem ones were out of the question.
after assuring that the diameter of the new grips (length was 5mm longer) was the same as the old ones I reached the point of no return which is the slicing of the old grips.

You will start to see the heating circuit, which means that the cutter must be used with great precision and caution.

By pulling the grip and cutting only when it is neccessary you will eventually remove the old grip

You will have to remove any remaining rubber at the edge, again with caution to avoid damaging the heating circuit.
I then tried to install the grip but of course it was too tight to insert without some sort of lubrication. The manual suggested water or surgical alcohol...Since I dont like the idea of water inside an electrical circuit, I used the latter...

The new grip next to the old one...

and after the installation...

bike is ready for use after 2 hours according to the manual...

This company "ariete" seems to produce also oem-replica ones, but this is what I found in my neighbourhood and it suits me ok.
cheers!
gs_lad is offline   Reply With Quote