Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,323
I've knocked out the first 1000 km on mine without issues. Did notice some coolant leaking from the hose going into the overflow tank but that has since stopped. Bikes goes in for it's first break in servicing tomorrow. No mods to exhaust or air intake yet, likely will only do the exhaust...maybe the air filter. There does seem to be a spot in the throttle where the bike catches and stalls on occasion. I've only noticed it when you are giving light blips to the throttle with the clutch in, like when you are feathering the clutch and blipping the gas when negotiating technical terrain. The solution, more aggressive twists. No stalls when simply sitting at idle or anything. Gobs of power and torque. My buddies 2011 with an FMF does have noticeably crisper throttle response down low, something to consider.

Mods for far:
- Pivot Pegs
- Rox Risers
- Flatland Skid Plate
- Touring screen
- ACV Grab on Grip Covers
- Double Take folding mirrors
- Put the rear passenger grab handles on and deleted the rear passenger pegs

Some vid of me and my friend out playing. (Skip the first 2:30) I almost clear the creak at 4:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-efQhjfwURg
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

Regarding my accessories, the flip off tailbag is GREAT! Quick release for fueling. I hope it never falls off, though. Only one pin holds it on from the front.
Mine hasn't come off in 25K miles. Just make sure you adjust the pin every now and then to make sure it engages correctly and lube it a little every now and then.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #18
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post

Mods for far:
- Pivot Pegs
- Rox Risers
- Flatland Skid Plate
- Touring screen
- ACV Grab on Grip Covers
- Double Take folding mirrors
- Put the rear passenger grab handles on and deleted the rear passenger pegs
Hey CanadianX, did KTM mark the hole location on the underside of the plastic for those passenger grab handles? I would like to mount mine too but not quite obvious where they get drilled. I don't have any sort of template or anything that came with the tool kit.
rdkyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #19
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkyote View Post
did KTM mark the hole location on the underside of the plastic for those passenger grab handles?
Yes.
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
My new '12 is doing good other than an intermittent speedo/odometer.
My Q4 & RR filter is on the way.
My shop is confident my 690 will run well with a '12 off road map.
Just put 1500 miles on mine over 5 days. Everything went fine except for my Speedo/Odometer had an issue with the LCD part of the speedo. It started having parts of the display winking in and out... Not sure if it is still doing it but it was annoying...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Just put 1500 miles on mine over 5 days. Everything went fine except for my Speedo/Odometer had an issue with the LCD part of the speedo. It started having parts of the display winking in and out... Not sure if it is still doing it but it was annoying...
My Q4 slip-on is in along with my RR air filter. My dealer will be checking for my speedo issues at that time (getting mapped also).
I did not find loose wires or plugs on my look through. Sensor seems attached properly at the front wheel...
Its intermittent and my last ride out the speedo/odo seemed to work ok.
Hmmm...
I am staying positive cause I am going to ride this bike.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Just had the bike in for it's 1000km break in service. All good except the rear tail light stopped working. Turns out the tab in the tail light socket for the ground wasn't making good contact with the bulb. Vibration no doubt. (see minute 4:20 in my vid link above haha)

CanadianX screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 04:24 AM
Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,788
75 HP,out of a dual purpose single? At the rear wheel? What might be required to have this happen?

Curious.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #24
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I have about 375 miles on mine now. I have the FMF Q4 with evo air box lid and running the Akra map. No problems with running the bike in full power mode (#2 position) but I was riding some technical trails and dialed it down to #1...and that's when the popping, farting stalling and difficult starting occurred. Back to position 2...no problems. Hmmm.
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
Rooster6978
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Looking at a 690 I found a new 2011 and a 2012 new. $300 price diff. What is the difference in 2011 and 2012. And what is diff in the R vs the regular enduro
Rooster6978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
The 2012 has the same motor as 2010 Duke, so more power, an upgraded headlight and some BNG...I think that's about it.

I would pay the 300.00 extra for the '12....but I'm biased.

Cheers,

Jason
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #27
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by CagivaJS View Post
The 2012 has the same motor as 2010 Duke, so more power, an upgraded headlight and some BNG...I think that's about it.

I would pay the 300.00 extra for the '12....but I'm biased.

Cheers,

Jason
Plus new suspension that is 1 inch shorter. Also new plastic and instrument cluster.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #28
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster6978 View Post
Looking at a 690 I found a new 2011 and a 2012 new. $300 price diff. What is the difference in 2011 and 2012. And what is diff in the R vs the regular enduro
Hard to tell much of a difference from the ride. I have a 2012 and my buddy has a 2011 we did some back to back switching and they feel about the same running down the trail. His does have better throttle response but he is running a FMF exhaust with tune and a free flowing air filter as well mine wasn't broken in yet. As far as suspensions, they feel about the same and are set the sport settings for both bikes, 10 clicks, I believe, though I'm taller and heavier so my preload is different than my friend 2011. The 2012 has a better (subjective) dash and headlight as it has a big tack and easy to read speedo and a better (larger) headlight. If you go for the 2011 and PM NovaMoto he will can tell you about an awesome modification he did to upgrade the headlight on his bike. The 2012 may have a few other small differences related to the motor like the extra oil line running off the engine (?) Not sure about running down the slab, maybe the extra hp might be noticeable in the upper end, no idea though as both will easily cruise at 110-120 km/h all day.

Depending on your height you may like the slightly lower stance of the 2012. At 6'2 I can flatfoot either bike and don't really notice a difference. I have bottomed out my rear suspension jumping the bike and landing hard, I'm an novice rider so really just hope for the best when I get the wheels off the ground and lack anything like finesse to spare the bike any rough landings. That said on that particular occassion, and only time I maxed the compression, I suspect I would have bottomed the taller 2011 suspension as well.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #29
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,916
Tank bolts.

Did KTM ever deal with the tank bolt problem for those wanting to carry a load? Some ealier bikes had broken tank bolts and I hadn'y heard if that had been addressed or if an adventurer still needs to replace.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #30
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Don't believe theyve changed anything as far as tank bolts