Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 AM   #46
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD
I have had several weeks on the SW Motech stand (Pictured on the levitating bike above) I don't see why anyone would pay more for the heavier, more expensive, bulkier, stock stand. Yes it has a bigger footprint - big deal. You don't park these things in a mud puddle even in a swamp. Dave
I've had the BMW one fitted since new. My main reason for wanting to change is decking the stand in fast road riding when cornering. Can you confirm the SW Motech stand meets the claim that it does not lower ground clearance at all (IE something else would touch down first)?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #47
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
So...what's the trick with these springs? I am struggling to get the springs attached. Tried everything I can think of, from a makeshift pulley system, to using a screwdriver much like the instructions that show the "spring installation tool"...
As I have posted many times there is no substitute for a spring tool. It is cheap and readily available. I can't understand why someone would do it any other way.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #48
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
I've had the BMW one fitted since new. My main reason for wanting to change is decking the stand in fast road riding when cornering. Can you confirm the SW Motech stand meets the claim that it does not lower ground clearance at all (IE something else would touch down first)?
The OEM stand is the best stand IMO. I've tried a couple of others including the SW Motech, and they do not work as well as the OEM stand.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #49
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanI
Could you kindly expand upon this part? Do you mean the bike is not as stable, the bike is not as easy to get upon the stand or something else altogether?
The OEM stand is much easier to deploy and more stable than any other aftermarket stand I have had on the bike. I have no idea about ground clearance - never checked it on different stands.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #50
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
As I have posted many times there is no substitute for a spring tool. It is cheap and readily available. I can't understand why someone would do it any other way.
I agree and to not have one in the garage is a bit silly; but it is a lot of bulk (given the difficulty in packing traditional T-shaped one's) for a tool you will only need very rarely at the roadside. I tried to make a compact DIY one that you put a screwdriver through the end of. This was to carry with me to allow me to remove the centre stand at the road side, due to the afformentioned ground clearance problems. This was for a trip to the Nurburgring forming part of a longer trip where I wanted the centrestand. It didn't work very well and I settled on the old "coins in the coils" (deeply inserted by the pliers on a leatherman) method.

As to the OEM stand. I agree it is great for holding the rear of the bike in the air and even for parking on waterlogged grass/mud, probably moreso than most aftermarket ones, given the surface area. As someone who does most of his miles on road and gets a fair degree of lean angle, ground clearance is important to me. So much so that to get it, I'd be prepared to sacrifice the wet ground parking and the additional protection of the cat' that the TT centrestand plate gives.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #51
stin987
R1200GSA

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Did you get your springs installed? It took me about 5-10 mins of trial and error thinking on how to install the springs without special tools. After I figured out the first spring I had the second one installed within minutes. I used a long strong flat head. Step 1: Install the center stand with the bike on the side stand and torque all bolts. Step 2: Carefully mount the bike onto the center stand and kick side stand up. Step 3: Install top section of the spring, then put the screw driver through the bottom section of the spring while prying the screw driver into the hole/slot where the spring will hook. (Difficult to explain). Then just pull/pry the screw driver down and it the spring down the screw drivers shaft at the same time with you hand or hammer. The last part is a little tricky just take a second screw driver and work the hook into the slot. Sounds difficult in writing but once figured out it is pretty easy.

If I had to install it again I could probaly do it in less than 10 minutes. Although I do work for a BMW dealership fixing cars for a living so it just comes natural. I am always finding a faster way of doing things.

Good luck to all.
stin987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #52
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stin987
Did you get your springs installed? It took me about 5-10 mins of trial and error thinking on how to install the springs without special tools. After I figured out the first spring I had the second one installed within minutes. I used a long strong flat head. Step 1: Install the center stand with the bike on the side stand and torque all bolts. Step 2: Carefully mount the bike onto the center stand and kick side stand up. Step 3: Install top section of the spring, then put the screw driver through the bottom section of the spring while prying the screw driver into the hole/slot where the spring will hook. (Difficult to explain). Then just pull/pry the screw driver down and it the spring down the screw drivers shaft at the same time with you hand or hammer. The last part is a little tricky just take a second screw driver and work the hook into the slot. Sounds difficult in writing but once figured out it is pretty easy.

If I had to install it again I could probaly do it in less than 10 minutes. Although I do work for a BMW dealership fixing cars for a living so it just comes natural. I am always finding a faster way of doing things.

Good luck to all.
Installed with no drama whatsoever, and I am no more than average when it comes to strength. There are so many springs on motorcycles that a spring tool is right up there with a chain breaker if you own a few bikes.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #53
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,662
I just put mine on tonight. My Snap-On drum brake pliers / spring tool worked perfect.
I don't think the whole job took more then 15 minutes including putting away the tools. in fact it took longer to unpack the stand from all the bubble wrap it had around it.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #54
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Mine didn't come with the center stand, for the the OEM center stand, is there part number that you can order the whole thing with spring, bolts, etc? How much?

Thanks.
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #55
PatoM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
Mine didn't come with the center stand, for the the OEM center stand, is there part number that you can order the whole thing with spring, bolts, etc? How much?

Thanks.
You may check it here: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...2011#PartsList

46_1165 - MAIN STAND

PS: Be aware of the note: NOT FOR VEHICLES WITH LOWERING (CODE: X499A)
PatoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #56
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. Is there a reason why it cannot be installed on a lower F650GS Twin?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #57
the_IT_Cowboy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb BMW Center Stand Install Notes

Just completed the install of the BMW Center Stand. I can't speak to ground clearance as I currently have a flat, which prompted me to finally get this installed!

The fit is very good, the finish not as much, as others have noted.

Tool used for spring pull: $6.99 harbor freight "Headlight/Brake Spring Hook"
Headlight/Brake Spring Hook
Pittsburgh - item#95757
Pasted from <http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-hook-95757.html>

Notes:
  • A lift (shown in the install guide) was not needed to complete the install.
  • The easiest way to hook the spring is with the stand in the up position.
  • The BMW hook tool is straight, the harbor freight tool has a slight bend but worked fine.
  • Someone in this thread (Bucko) mentioned the paint wore off and I am also seeing that already. I am thinking about trying some Gaffer (Any photography store will have this, like B&H) tape (which does not leave a residue on removal) around the part that touches ground to save it from abrasion.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #58
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Center stand on 2013 model

Looks like they changed the center stand design on the 2013 model ...
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #59
CAN-ADVer
From NB to ... :)

Oddometer: 21
HOMEMADE Centerstand

Hey guys! I'm kind of on a budget for my ride... And I am pretty skilled in steel fabrication, and verrryyy patient :P So I was wondering if any of you would take a picture of where and how the rotation of the stand stops, and where the spring is mounted! I would try to make my own and post a how to make a centerstand thread for others like me! Thank you in advance!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #60
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
Thanks. Is there a reason why it cannot be installed on a lower F650GS Twin?
Update: Found a like-new F650GS OEM center stand and installed on my F650GS, I really like it. I used a thin-nose-grip-vise pliers to install the springs, it was simple. This will make chain lubing easier.