User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Chief Ten Bears OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
no top end rpm...

I have a 1979 KE100, runs like a champ... but lately I've noticed something strange happening. when the engine gets hot/warm after riding for some time, when you give it throttle to lets say accelerate through the gears, it sputters, burbles, when you get up in the RPM... not like it wants to die, but just like you hit a rev limiter or something. It still idles fine, when its hot power seems a little down though... Any thoughts? Running to rich perhaps? This only happens once the engine gets hot after riding for a while, and only when its hotter outside at well...
Chief Ten Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
One of my bikes did that a while back. Cleaned the carb and problem solved. Must've been some goop somewhere.

If you haven't tried Pinesol, do it! It's awesome. I've found full strength works best.
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,212
Valve float?
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Valve float?

Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
I have a 1979 KE100, runs like a champ... but lately I've noticed something strange happening. when the engine gets hot/warm after riding for some time, when you give it throttle to lets say accelerate through the gears, it sputters, burbles, when you get up in the RPM... not like it wants to die, but just like you hit a rev limiter or something. It still idles fine, when its hot power seems a little down though... Any thoughts? Running to rich perhaps? This only happens once the engine gets hot after riding for a while, and only when its hotter outside at well...
is this throttle position independent? if throttle position has no bearing it's either the rotary valve or ignition timing. if you can back off the throttle and it will zip to top rpm, it's generally jetting. depending on where your throttle is at, it's either needle positon, or main jet most likely. could be float height/float issue also. if float is letting fuel by, it could be rich up top and not rev out.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,387
My first thought was too rich on the main jet, as I've had that before, when trying to get my RD jetted in. But if it was running well before on that jetting, I wouldn't jump and start changing things around, it must be something else. Is your air filter clean? A dirty air filter would cause a rich condition. Overly advanced timing could create a "rev wall".
Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
pdxjim
Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer: 118
I had a KE175 that did that.

The stock exhaust has extensive baffles and tubes that get clogged with carbon.

I got a long drill and reamed out the exhaust and it fixed the problem.

This was when I was about 18, so I might suggest cutting it open cleaning it out and welding it back up if I were to do it again.

Might try cleaning the airfilter as well. Whatever the cause, it sounds like it's too rich when it comes on the mainjet.
pdxjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Check the flow from the fuel petcock.
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post

So... that's a no...
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
Chief Ten Bears OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the info and insight!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Thanks for all the info and insight!
Hey Chief,

Before you go chasing all over trying to find the problem, check the basics first (fuel, air, plug). I doubt you need to replace a main jet but a dirty/clogged carb or exhaust might be your most likely issue. Timing? I doubt it, unless YOU changed it. Hell, it's only 30 years old...what could go wrong?

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
Chief Ten Bears OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Hey Chief,

Before you go chasing all over trying to find the problem, check the basics first (fuel, air, plug). I doubt you need to replace a main jet but a dirty/clogged carb or exhaust might be your most likely issue. Timing? I doubt it, unless YOU changed it. Hell, it's only 30 years old...what could go wrong?
Thanks, I tend to agree... It ran fine all last year, not a problem... It ran fine for the first month I was driving it this year as well. I haven't changed any timing or jetting or anything.

Its 30 years old, but only has 4000km on it, not that, that means anything...
Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #13
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,457
Dismiss this if Im completely off base, as Im not familiar with the KE100 that well. Do they run reed valves?
I had a 1977 YZ125 that had similar problems. Turned out to be the reed valves. Seems they were alittle worn out and the bike would sputter and run rough if you tried to give it too much gas up high. You would have gas it very slowly to get around it.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #14
SprintSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Failing oil pump. Mine did, it would break up in the mid range. Sounded lean but was really no oil and seizing. Add some premix to tank, mine revved out after I did. Still had to re-do the top end...again.
Points timing. They do wear so after 30 yrs might be time to adjust.
Failing coil or magneto.
Worn carb needle could cause a rich condition in the mid.

All from KE100 experience.
SprintSix is offline   Reply With Quote