Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,575
Have not seen it...will go back and sign up. Thanks!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
hvacnut
Let's Ride!!

Oddometer: 36
That was some good stuff. Me and 3 others took a 4 day trip up too W VA last weekend was on some of the same rode's thanks for sharing the pics we saw your bike in Hendersonville at the old school show wanted to meet you but then turned around you must got out there. We ride the parkway a lot go up to the pisgah store and hang out maybe we will see you there some day.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacnut View Post
That was some good stuff. Me and 3 others took a 4 day trip up too W VA last weekend was on some of the same rode's thanks for sharing the pics we saw your bike in Hendersonville at the old school show wanted to meet you but then turned around you must got out there. We ride the parkway a lot go up to the pisgah store and hang out maybe we will see you there some day.
I'll be up at the Nottarally in Hot Springs 10/5 and 10/6 so come join us! Here is the link

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793521

Maybe we can meet up! PM me anytime you goin' out and maybe I can shake yor paw! I ride a lot of single day stuff around Madison, Haywood, Transylvania, Jackson, oh heck anywhere around here....Don't ride the BRP much except to connect up a loop, etc but I guess you are talkin about the store next to Pisgah Inn? I hang out (eat) a lot around the Jukebox Junction or the Cafe at Trust.

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Last Wednesday 5/30/12 was a picture perfect day so I just had to get out for a few hours. I noticed the ATOR was a chapel in Green Cove that I had not seen and being a little familiar with that area, that seemed to be a neat thing to attempt. I was a little short on time since I figgerd this was a good 100+ miles each way for me. Most of the following pics are taken on the roll so not very good camera work but maybe some of you may find this a neat route to take.
I hit the Appalachian Highway (74) about 20 minutes from my Haywood Co. home.

Balsam Gap

I'll pass up the next couple exits looking for 28 north near Nantahala

This is it (28N)

Next I hit 143 (Sweetwater) to Robbinsville

The quilt squares add a nice touch to old barns. There is a map of these that you can use to explore and locate all the ones registered.

I'll go see Joyce another time, continuing on the Cherohala looking for a dirt road. I have this thing to myself...wow! How neat is that..the advantages of being semi-retarded.

Here is that gravel

Maybe 25 minutes down to the river( I know the road so check your maps...I took the first right and then the next left I think...several ways to get down to that area) then left to this( Green Cove Store and Motel)

Not too far away I found this...easy...take the next right after the store and follow the signs to the tabernacle.

Here is the pond nearby and this old fellow has it all figgered out. He is sitting in the shade, his pole is out on the end of the dock in the sun, and the fish are doing all the work I wanted to go ask him about his fishin' theory but my time did not allow such today and I wanted to explore the rest of the road to Hanging Dog.

Back on the main River Road, there is some easy pavement until you pass the hatchery, then I found a section that was pretty steep with switchbacks and front wheel trappin' washes across the road. I made it up that well enough with the big bike but I must have screwed up the setting on my camera so my pics of the rough road did not take.
Anyway, It was rough enough to shake my left mirror loose from its lock nut so I just threw it in a case rather than fool with diggin' out the tools. Here the road is fine again...and nice views on my way to hanging Dog and Murphy.

Left here takes you to main street Murphy in a while then it was back on the big road home.

Back home I guess I figgered pretty close, 232 miles round trip.

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 09:15 PM
Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #20
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,060
Nice day!!

Heard a rumor about the next RDV, might need to enlist your help scouting.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #21
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
How on Earth did I miss this? Wasn't paying attention I guess, but please continue....
Robert Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #22
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
Nice day!!

Heard a rumor about the next RDV, might need to enlist your help scouting.
Lemme know. I don't know a whole lot but can go scout some...when appx is that event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ford View Post
How on Earth did I miss this? Wasn't paying attention I guess, but please continue....
Thanks!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #23
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,121
It must really suck to live around all those crappy roads and awfully scenery! Your report has great timing since I am headed that way in less than two weeks on my way to Cleveland Ohio via the scenic errrr I mean crappy route. I'll probably ride some of the same roads in your report. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My planning thread is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796334

In case you don't remember me, we met a couple of years ago at buzzards Roost:

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #24
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
It must really suck to live around all those crappy roads and awfully scenery! Your report has great timing since I am headed that way in less than two weeks on my way to Cleveland Ohio via the scenic errrr I mean crappy route. I'll probably ride some of the same roads in your report. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My planning thread is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796334

In case you don't remember me, we met a couple of years ago at buzzards Roost:

Absolutley I remember...I will check out your thread later today and see what you are doing...great to hear from you!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 06-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #25
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
Lemme know. I don't know a whole lot but can go scout some...when appx is that event?
May 15-19, if it turns out to be the same weekend as last time.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #26
WVMTS
Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer: 210
Awesome report Aarrff. Rolling the dice eating at the Pinnacle. Glad you're still around.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #27
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMTS View Post
Awesome report Aarrff. Rolling the dice eating at the Pinnacle. Glad you're still around.
I still pass thru your great area once in a while! How be you? They had a meatloaf special but one thing I never eat on the road is meatloaf cause I never know what's in it.....well....never eat it at home either cause then I do know what's in it. That Pinnacle burger was OK and the little gal gave us prompt service with a smile so thar you go!

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 09:09 PM
Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #28
WVMTS
Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer: 210
Yeah, I used to work in that area at one time for a trail project. We would eat there when we were in town. The Pinnacle burger wasn't bad. Sometimes the after effects wouldn't be worth it though.I have ridden in your neck of the woods. Beautiful country you have there. I'll be planning a trip probably in the fall and hopefully wrap around the Smokys again. Love the Cherohala Skyway!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #29
halflife
ride 2 live

Oddometer: 6
Awesome, Aarrffin'. Keep up the GREAT work on this!

I'm just N of Atlanta and mostly play in the N Ga mtns, but lately had my eye on the eastern TN/western NC area, generally south of the Cherohala. I'm hoping to pick your brain on a few sites/roads you may have experience with... (if this is a hijack, just say so and I’ll gladly PM or make other arrangements).

Waucheesi Mtn lookout (about 4-5 miles west of the lake you found off Green Cove) - have you ridden up this? Is the road manageable on a loaded KLR with an average skill rider?

On other rides I may have a couple weeStroms in my group with limited off road experience and street tires. Are Buck Bald (off TN 68) and Wesser Bald, and Wayah Bald tame enough for them and/or worth the trip?

As you can tell, I LOVE me some views. Those backyard pics of yours look awesome - must be a fun ride “up” to get home!

Thanks again for your RR.
halflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #30
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 874
Great thread, this is the stuff that sucks so bad I spend hours looking at it.
Those roads look Aarrffly familiar. Still have family in Tazewell County,VA and "Momanem" were born in McDowell County WV in a coal town named Pageton, just down the road from Welch.
Thanks for posting, its ride reports like yours that inspired me to start a thread too.
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote