Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #31
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
The TW200 does take some tires that you can't find just anywhere, but I understand they really last a long time also. I had a 49cc Ruckus. If you want SLOW that's your bike. At 5'9" and 175 that thing would really slow down on even a small hill-like to 20mph. You'll have to rid up your own storage method, as the shape of the space under the seat is a bit odd and sloped forward. Scooter tires aren't exactly widely bavailable either.

I think the Suzuki DR200 and Yamaha XT225 are about ideal for your needs. Either can cruise at 50 all day and get about as good of gas mileage as the Ruckus. My 2007 XT ridden at 50 and under got over 100 mpg doing it.

jon

Birdmove screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 01:20 PM
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #32
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 601
Xt 225

+1 on the XT 225. Simple as a stone hammer, exceptionally reliable and durable at moderate speeds. Robust aftermarket support, plus multiple dedicated forums to address every possible issue with it. The topper is, Clarke still makes a 4 gal tank for it.

I'm seriously thinking about picking one up next year.

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #33
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Got to throw the DR350 in there. It is a bigger than all the bikes mentioned but really is not that mcuh heavier (287lb dry, 325 with big gas tank full, and tools). I find that the extra power is a good to have on hand. Will do 60 all day. With dtreet gearing and tires I can get 70mpg.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #34
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
so the japanese version had a rear disc brake?
Hadn't noticed that, I just linked the pic from a google search. Also looks to have a remote reservoir for the shock mounted on the front downtube. Interesting.

I wonder what other differences there are that cannot be seen?

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #35
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post
I would stay away from the TW200 for two reasons: ridiculously small tank and availability of tires.
Other than that it is fun and reliable but the XT225 is a better choice.

I think you'll be happy with a CT110...
+1 on tires and small tank of the TW.

Avoid the 1980 model CT110 if you are going to really load one up. This is the only year (in North American models) that does not have the high/low range transmission. If you are going to load one up, that low-range is a real bonus on big hills and at altitude. Nate had to push his postie up more than a few hills along the way because he didn't have the low-range.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #36
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,270
per your requirements any small bike will do really.
I did several trips 30 yrs ago on a honda SL 100, 3-4k miles, us/CA rockies, i was getting 90-100mpg screaming the guts out of it. a vintage small bore bike would work as well as long as it in good shape. you can rie anything but the trail 90 /100 etc do not have the best suspension something you'lll notice even at 35 mph but go for what floats yer boat.

now if were me and looking for a 125.... Derbi Terra Adventure or their mulcahen 125, or honda Valadero 125, yamaha has some cool 125 in euro . MZ made and imported to us a cool 125, derbi some cool 50's many with big bore 75cc kits
Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #37
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,351
I recently had a CT90 and now an XT225. To be honest, the reason I got rid of the CT90 was I thought it was too slow to be safe on most roads.

You're talking extremely slow acceleration off a light, and a top speed of 35-40 MPH, which takes forever to get there. I felt like a target out there going that slow. You're on a motorized vehicle now, not a bicycle, so you must travel on the roadway, not the shoulder.

The XT has better suspension, gets similar fuel mileage with a bigger tanks, and is capable of highway speeds should you so desire. Also the engine would not be screaming all the time.

A much better bike in my opinion.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #38
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
I'm a fan of the CT90 or 110, especially those set up like WILL_S and the other Australians. They are light weight but very rugged. Things aren't going to break when you load them down and ride the rough roads. With the second fuel tank the range is tremendous. Tires and other parts are cheap and plentiful. I built up a 68 CT90 several years ago from a bunch of junk parts and a larger engine. Fun to ride, rugged, dependable, 300 mile range.

hugemoth screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 10:22 AM Reason: added pic
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #39
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,112
http://georgelockyer.tripod.com/

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #40
zardoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Check out www.bigdogadventures.com for what a Yamaha WR250 can do.

SteveJ
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #41
skyzo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks all for the awesome replies. I have been reading lots of stuff on these bikes for the last few days.
I think I will have to wait until the time gets closer to choose a bike, as I will have to see how much I can take off work. I might only be able to take 3 weeks, and in that case I would use the XT225/250 (been reading lots of those, seems like a very very good choice).
The minimalist in me really wants to do the trip on the CT90 though, but I would need a little more time off in order to do that, as my route is about 5000 miles, and that would be about 240 miles a day on the CT if I only had 3 weeks, and that would be a little hectic and rushes. Whereas if I could get about 5 weeks off, it would be a much more relaxed 150 miles a day.

I won't know for a few months if I can get the time off, but I love planning almost as much as I love touring, so I dont mind
skyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #42
Bajatacoma
Why me?

Oddometer: 56
Are you planning to stay mostly on the road? Any of the small 250cc street bikes would be more comfortable than a dual sport; they're also geared better for street use (not that you can't easily change gears on most small bikes). Suzuki makes the TU250 which is fuel injected and is getting really good reviews here and other forums as well as the older carb'd GZ250. While they're capable of running highways speeds, their light weight and lack of throttle response at high speeds makes them a bit scary in my opinion. I tended to stick to secondary roads when I had smaller bikes; they were much happier at the slower speeds (lower RPMs) and so was I.

Another choice since you're talking about scooters might be the Yamaha Zuma 125cc, they seem to be pretty popular with the folks who own them too. Vespa makes some nice rides too.
Bajatacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #43
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Decision? Adventures?

Enjoyed the posts and comments, very interested to hear what developed!??

My experience is similar, I bicycle tour with camping gear and have been on several motorcycle adventures. The motorcycle tool kit, spare tubes, safety wear and such add weight.

I have tried the Honda Shadow ACE 750, looks cool, loved the torque and slow engine speed rumble, but just too big and 55mpg is not great mileage.

I jumped to a Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator, with the goal of 100mpg motorcycle touring. I enjoyed several overnight camp trips, but realistically was more like 75mpg and was very uncomfortable on state highways because it just could not handle 55mph unless wind was calm and no uphills.

I understand the enjoyment of touring at slow speeds, but the reality of traffic led me to selling my little 125. Maybe I'm just unable to slow down, but with deadlines, trip goals and traffic have told me I want something bigger. But I still want to get fantastic mpg.

Then a friend got me interested in the MCCCT, 700 miles of off road trails in Michigan. So, I was looking for a minimalist, dual sport, adventure bike that could easily maintain state highway speed, top of 60mph would be fine. So after a lot of research, I decided on the KLR 250, found a '05 for $2500 in like new condition. Added a rack, and I've put 4000 miles on it in the first 7 months. That's more miles than I've put on my last 3 motorcycles, a good indication of how much I like this bike. I plan to work on leaning out the carb to improve gas mileage. During break-in under 4000rpm I achieved two tanks at 90mpg, but I find it pretty hard to find roads that safely fit those speeds.

My longest trip so far was 1300 miles in 4 days from Columbus, IN to the Swinging Bridges ride in MO. One lesson there, my 250 can handle interstate speeds safely. It runs at 8000 rpm at 70mph; just right because I still had power to overcome headwinds or hills. That's not where I want to ride, but the only close Mississippi river crossings were interstate highways. Enjoyed 500 miles of back gravel roads with historic bridges. Learned to fix motorcycle flats on this trip! Another lesson, at highway speeds, I hit reserve at 100miles, reserve is over 2 gallons, so the mpg is terrible when going that fast. More typical mpg is 65 for back roads/city/state highways all at speed limits.

I'm planning a week of TN TAT and a week of MCCCT this year, then maybe find time for longer touring, continental divide or east coast or TAT to west coast.

There's room in my stable for a smaller adventure bike, so I'm interested in what you selected and how it's worked for you. But, I'm keeping my KLR 250, I find it ideal for most of my trip plans.

Don
Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #44
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Itís been a while since skyzo started this but I donít see where heís gotten anything yet. I agree with Speedo66 about you have to get it in your mind that youíre not on a bicycle and when in traffic you need to go with the flow. I really like the size of the 200-250 size bikes. Donít have one yet but working on it. What I like about the TW200 & XT250 (or 225) is, besides being over all reliable, the valves have screw adjusters. Non of that pulling the cams and putting in a different size shim that you wont have. You can adjust them on the road if you need to. I wonder what skyzo did if anything.
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #45
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBIWAN View Post
Itís been a while since skyzo started this but I donít see where heís gotten anything yet. I agree with Speedo66 about you have to get it in your mind that youíre not on a bicycle and when in traffic you need to go with the flow. I really like the size of the 200-250 size bikes. Donít have one yet but working on it. What I like about the TW200 & XT250 (or 225) is, besides being over all reliable, the valves have screw adjusters. Non of that pulling the cams and putting in a different size shim that you wont have. You can adjust them on the road if you need to. I wonder what skyzo did if anything.

Add the KLR250 to the list of having screw type valve adjusters. The newer KLX250 cannot make that claim as it has shims. Had a 2001 KLR250 and had lots of good times on that bike. Also had an XT225 and liked it a lot too. I am going to get another dual sport soon, and the TW200 is high on my list.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote