Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #316
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoM View Post
As far as I know, it's the ochre pigment (iron oxide) that's on the rocks...Moreover, the Ochre Canyon is one of the stages you have to go through to reach the top:

It's a GoPro Hero 1.
Pato, the water is orange due to leaching. When it rains over the "Cordillera", the water leaches and carries those minerals ( negative ph caused by volcanic activity)

Ps: Hola

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:40 AM   #317
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee View Post
És tuga Diesel?

Here's a short video from Morocco last week!
http://youtu.be/M64ojvVP_RI?hd=1
nice video! Maybe next time more text or voice over to tell what you did why and where
Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 AM   #318
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAmsterdam View Post
nice video! Maybe next time more text or voice over to tell what you did why and where
Sorry, but it was not intended to be a report. Didn't have the time for it, i haven't even seen half the footage!
So here's a sort of a report.

Ok let's see, this trip was planed on a rush 3 weeks ago when a guy i met on a ride called me about it, i managed to get 2 weeks off, and that's about it for planning.

First day tarmac straight to Tangier, then across the Atlas on great mountain roads to spend the night in Merzouga (36ºC by night ), woke up early to avoid the heat and to get to know the dunes on Erg Chebbi
My friend on the KTM knew the place well as he lost count on how many times he has been there, we did a lot of high speed sand patches from the dakar which this bikes love. As much as i'd love to try the bigger dunes i had to recognize we were in no condition of trying them, limited by my ability, it was to hot, didn't want to risk melting the clutch, the tires were Mitas E-10 and were overinflated to avoid punctures on the rocks.The same day at about 11AM started a duststorm, couldn't see 10m ahead.
The next days where spent on the Rheris valley, where the 990 developed an unknown electrical problem witch accompanied us everyday for the rest of the trip. The first time it shut down, we spent just under three hours until we managed to get her going.
We crossed the Rheris dry riverbed, some infamous 6-7Km of Fesh - Fesh, due to the delay on the repairs we only got there by mid-day, it was hot as hell, and with our bikes heavily loaded it was a hell to get through, due to the sun position and brightness i couldn't really read the terrain all that well, it was the biggest challenge of our trip, rewarding though, the region is amazing.
Then i noticed my fork seal (seel?!) started to leak, , all the next days where mostly hardcore rocky sections, so we had to abort our initial plans and stick to easy tracks until we could reach tarmac, one of the days we only managed to start the KTM at 5PM so we took the fastest way possible to the road, this meant a 70Km higly corrugated dirtroad that made sure i had no oil left on my right fork!
We continued the trip by tarmac, great roads on the Atlas, we avoided to turn off the KTM so every time he had to refuell it would be with a Jerrycan and the bike on, everyday in the morning or after lunch we made bet's on if it would start, eventually ended up in Marrakech and started heading north.
We managed to get to Tanger still fresh and decided to push as far as we felt like riding, Marrakech - Lisbon in one day 1100Km

So lesson learned. install some Neoprene fork protector. a wonderful trip cut short because of a simple, cheap, seemingly unnecessary farkle. Damn you Fesh -Fesh, i thought i'd beaten you but you had the last laugh.
skamikazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 AM   #319
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com

Oddometer: 188
what an adventure! Very cool
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #320
PatoM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
Pato, the water is orange due to leaching. When it rains over the "Cordillera", the water leaches and carries those minerals ( negative ph caused by volcanic activity)

Ps: Hola
Great! Thanks!

Quote:
Sorry, but it was not intended to be a report. Didn't have the time for it, i haven't even seen half the footage!

Ok let's see, this trip was planed on a rush 3 weeks ago when a guy i met on a ride called me about it, i managed to get 2 weeks off, and that's about it for planning.

First day tarmac straight to Tangier, then across the Atlas on great mountain roads to spend the night in Merzouga (36ºC by night ), woke up early to avoid the heat and to get to know the dunes on Erg Chebbi
My friend on the KTM knew the place well as he lost count on how many times he has been there, we did a lot of high speed sand patches from the dakar which this bikes love. As much as i'd love to try the bigger dunes i had to recognize we were in no condition of trying them, limited by my ability, it was to hot, didn't want to risk melting the clutch, the tires were Mitas E-10 and were overinflated to avoid punctures on the rocks.The same day at about 11AM started a duststorm, couldn't see 10m ahead.
The next days where spent on the Rheris valley, where the 990 developed an unknown electrical problem witch accompanied us everyday for the rest of the trip. The first time it shut down, we spent just under three hours until we managed to get her going.
We crossed the Rheris dry riverbed, some infamous 6-7Km of Fesh - Fesh, due to the delay on the repairs we only got there by mid-day, it was hot as hell, and with our bikes heavily loaded it was a hell to get through, due to the sun position and brightness i couldn't really read the terrain all that well, it was the biggest challenge of our trip, rewarding though, the region is amazing.
Then i noticed my fork seal (seel?!) started to leak, , all the next days where mostly hardcore rocky sections, so we had to abort our initial plans and stick to easy tracks until we could reach tarmac, one of the days we only managed to start the KTM at 5PM so we took the fastest way possible to the road, this meant a 70Km higly corrugated dirtroad that made sure i had no oil left on my right fork!
We continued the trip by tarmac, great roads on the Atlas, we avoided to turn off the KTM so every time he had to refuell it would be with a Jerrycan and the bike on, everyday in the morning or after lunch we made bet's on if it would start, eventually ended up in Marrakech and started heading north.
We managed to get to Tanger still fresh and decided to push as far as we felt like riding, Marrakech - Lisbon in one day 1100Km

So lesson learned. install some Neoprene fork protector. a wonderful trip cut short because of a simple, cheap, seemingly unnecessary farkle. Damn you Fesh -Fesh, i thought i'd beaten you but you had the last laugh.
Really nice trip!
Wish to be there in the future!
PatoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #321
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:

Sounds like a BLAST!!!

Here is a little trailer we put together for EP4

Episode 4 Trailer from Hiline Productions on Vimeo.

Couple good shots of the GS

Ryan
Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #322
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
F800GS and a few other BMWs at a track day

Three of the Players joined the BMW club of Ottawa on their 2012 ART School. (Advanced Rider Training.) The event took place at Calabogie Motorsports Park about an hour past Ottawa. We had to sort out our machines before getting them inspected. New tires, fluids, chains and sprockets and a general clean up were required. Chris and Riley trailered their bikes (wimps) from Montreal and Cuz'n Charles road from Toronto like a real man. Fantastic event and we all learned a lot. The event is not about lap time but more about proper cornering technique. The organization was fantastic and the instructors on the track and in the classroom were top notch.

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #323
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
As usual, another excellent video Riley That looked like a lot of fun!

"Eco Boost is 100 Prius's pulling together"

Jon...
Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #324
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
És tuga Diesel?

Here's a short video from Morocco last week!
http://youtu.be/M64ojvVP_RI?hd=1
sou Portugues mas vivo nos Estados Unidos. visito todos anos, infelizmente a BMW nao pode vir comigo no aviao..
Old 06-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #325
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
I really like your video's thanks for making the maintenance videos too

:)

I went out off-roading for the first time last week i have a couple of videos up on my youtube

I am a real newbie tough, ill be happy with any comments, i noticed myself i need to really give it more throttle on the off-road

The rest is on my channel, including some videos of me going around town :)

My Youtube channel
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #326
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631

Thought I would post this here. Testing a chest mount GoPro the other day near Boulder, Co.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #327
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 645
F800GS w/ Paddle Tire

Old 06-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #328
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114

I was at Touratech last week talking with Iain and he showed me that paddle tire. Listening to him tell me about it it was obvious they had a blast running the bike in the sand. Iain told me it even cleared the add-on inner rear fender they sell to help keep the water, mud, and now sand, off the rear shock.

Jon...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #329
Buster714
VP of crash testing

part 2 - F800GS w/ Paddle Tire

...now staring Jonah Street

Old 06-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #330
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post

I was at Touratech last week talking with Iain and he showed me that paddle tire. Listening to him tell me about it it was obvious they had a blast running the bike in the sand. Iain told me it even cleared the add-on inner rear fender they sell to help keep the water, mud, and now sand, off the rear shock.

Jon...
I love it. You could tell they were excited. I was, just watching the video.