ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Your welcomed, looking forward to checking out your blog. Come on up this weekend if you want to wear down your pegs. We've been offered a cabin for the weekend in Waynesville which means more gas money for mor twisties. Yeeehaw
twistydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
weekend plan 6/2/2012 6/3/2012

Not sure if this belongs here so remove it if inapropriate.

I'll be leaving James Island ~7:30 am Saturday June 2, 2012 and taking the scenic route (NO INTERSTATE) to Abbeville, SC. I hope to encounter as much dirt, gravel, and waters-edge as possible on this trek, no certain route has been decided. I am taking my tent along and will be camping Saturday night in Abbeville and will be riding the Long Cane Dual Sport Ride on Sunday June 3, 2012 (www.LongCaneMA.com) on my green KLR650. I will be stopping often to take photos and don't expect to get to Abbeville before 6 pm or so. Maybe some of you would like to ride along during part or all of this adventure. I'll be returning Sunday after the ride via the quickest route (mostly I-26). My e-mail is kenmkingataoldotcom. Add my e-mail to the rides list please.
God Bless and Best Regards, Ken King
BigWrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #18
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Big wrench, sounds like you have a nice ride planned too this weekend. I think that makes 3 different ride possibilities going on this weekend, in this thread.
twistydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread, Ya'll are within distance for a good Sunday ride
Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
HoCat and MEOW to the Long Cane Dual Sport Ride

I'm going to check out the Long Cane. Supposedly it's too tight for a Wee, but I want to check out what other riders are on, and get the details of other AMA Dual Sport class and Adventure Ride class events. I'm following BigWrench up via HoCat and Meow EARLY Saturday AM. I'll shoot an email to the group when we work out meeting place. The plan is to camp there, but I may return before ride is over Sunday. Join if you can, and have a safe weekend.

Clint
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenFant View Post
I'm going to check out the Long Cane. Supposedly it's too tight for a Wee, but I want to check out what other riders are on, and get the details of other AMA Dual Sport class and Adventure Ride class events. I'm following BigWrench up via HoCat and Meow EARLY Saturday AM. I'll shoot an email to the group when we work out meeting place. The plan is to camp there, but I may return before ride is over Sunday. Join if you can, and have a safe weekend.

Clint
The other bikes will look like a sea of orange! I've ridden it twice, once on my 650 and once on the 350, with the knobbiest of DOT knobbies. Didn't finish the whole route either time. A 16-mile section of private-land tight single track did me in last year (just got hot & exhausted & my right hand that I have some plastic joints in felt done for). Definitely take a Camelbak or the like.

There are some good forest service roads in the Sumter NF nearby. I don't know how forthcoming Me and my Monkee is with his maps, but the AARSES ride to Abbeville all the time from the Augusta area on a big dirty loop. Looks something like this (no, I don't have the GPX):

The most adventure-bike-friendly organized DS in SC I've been to was the one at Broxton Bridge about 3 years ago when they had it in May. They had a whole separate route for the bigger bikes. They skipped a year, then this year they held it in January on the day before the Enduro. I didn't go to that one, so I don't know if they did the separate roll chart again for the bigger bikes or not.

Y'all have fun and be careful!

Mama L.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Fear not. I don 't plan to ride the course on the Wee ! I'm just there gathering info and scoping out different bikes. It's becoming clear that as much add I like the Wee, I'm a dirt bike fanatic first and foremost.
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #23
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenFant View Post
Fear not. I don 't plan to ride the course on the Wee ! I'm just there gathering info and scoping out different bikes. It's becoming clear that as much add I like the Wee, I'm a dirt bike fanatic first and foremost.
OK! You had me worried there for a bit.

BTW, Long Cane is not one of the AMA National Dual Sport series rides, it's just an AMA sanctioned event. It's still a good 'un, though!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Here's some video from last year at Long Cane that TSPKTM posted on ADV to whet your appetite:

Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Here's some video from last year at Long Cane that TSPKTM posted on ADV to whet your appetite:

Wow, I was on the fence about doing this. But I think based on my rider ability and the fact that I have a KLR, I have no business doing it this year. :( I also don't think I have the right safety gear just yet.

Definitely next year though. I've only been on dirt/gravel a handful of times and never at any speeds like that. Going to have to fix that soon. :) Attempted the Iron Mountain Trail outside Damascus at RDV this year, but only made it 2 miles before turning back cause I was worred about getting stuck on the trail at night. I think I could have handled it, but it would have been slow. :)

Good luck to everyone going and stay safe!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
Wow, I was on the fence about doing this. But I think based on my rider ability and the fact that I have a KLR, I have no business doing it this year. :( I also don't think I have the right safety gear just yet.

Definitely next year though. I've only been on dirt/gravel a handful of times and never at any speeds like that. Going to have to fix that soon. :) Attempted the Iron Mountain Trail outside Damascus at RDV this year, but only made it 2 miles before turning back cause I was worred about getting stuck on the trail at night. I think I could have handled it, but it would have been slow. :)

Good luck to everyone going and stay safe!
I wave the fast riders around me, except for my long-suffering husband! He says he'd rather stay behind me than have to come back later looking for pieces and parts of me and the bike to pick up. Roots are usually my nemeses. Off-road boots, a chest protector and elbow protection are a must.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Yeah, I have some Alpinestars Boots which I love. Still need to get a chest protector or pressure suit. I'm going to hopefully get some time to head up to Carolina Adventure World this weekend and do some riding before I go to Charlotte for the weekend. I've learned a lot in the past few months, but hate being injured. Thanks for the advice!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
Okeedokee
Your Redneck Friend!

Oddometer: 116
Hey everyone.
I am new to the Adv-Riding World, having just gotten myself a Tiger 800-XC. I spent many years doing enduro type riding in the woods until an oak tree to the knee ended that career rather abruptly!
Anywho, I would love to join up with your crew of riding adventurers and I will be thrilled to join y'all for some fun rides!
Thanks.
Okeedokee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #29
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Clint,

I just uploaded a new MEOW GPX file in post #5 of the HO-CAT thread in Laying Down Tracks-East, here. I changed the route from near North up to near Swansea. It now goes through a more rural and scenic area with a good bit more dirt. Saddlecreek Lane and Poole's Mill Road are very nice! I don't know how far up y'all are coming before you turn towards Abbeville, but though I'd mention it in case you want to nab the new file.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
A few of us are leaving the hess at 17 and Main rd at 0900, tomorrow to ride Marsh Tiger's HO-Cat. I have route sheets I can email via .pdf if you don't want the .gpx.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote