Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
TheRoss
MOA,IBA,IBR15

Oddometer: 317
I haven't hung out with an attractive biker chick in about 10 years. Thanks for those memories!

Great ride reports man! I have enjoyed them all.
I am headed to Maine and Nova Scotia next summer, and have made notes on places to stop, based on your reports. Appreciate the info!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,551
Thanks for the fun report... looking forward to hearing about the October return to Maine and the dealer's.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
Fat Bear
Iron Butt #48477

Oddometer: 41
The odyssey continues in great style! I love your stories, pics & vids. I rode up Mt Washington two years ago on a weather day that was very similar to your experience. The summit cleared while I was up top. As I was getting ready to leave, a couple rode in on a Gold Wing. The lady who stepped off the bike had an expensive looking camera hanging around her neck. I remarked that she must have taken some awesome photos on the way up. She replied that her eyes were closed for most of the way! Happy Trails.
Fat Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
That was great!
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #20
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Oddometer: 179
Big Thanks !!!

Thank you to those riders who have taken the time to read this ride report and have enjoyed it thus far. Writing these ride reports brings back great memories of all the fun we had while making them. Traveling with the group that we had, covering the scenery that was there for us made for a fantastic trip.

TheRoss, its great that you are biking up to our neck of the woods. Make sure to contact me if you have any questions of riding in certain area's. Carrie (Wheelie Hot) appreciates the complements too. When your as ugly as Squig, Amish and I, you need as much eye candy around as possible to off set.

GB - I'll post here at the conclusion how our return court date and dealer visit made out. Classic. Thanks for tuning in to another one of our adventures.

BadWolf1 - I have spoke with other riders who have done the Mt. Washington climb, who have similar experiences as you have wrote. White knuckle, closed eyes . . .etc. We honestly didn't find it too bad at all. The views were so amazing that it takes your mind off of whats going on. The pics and video shown on this report are only a small amount of what was actually taken. I would strongly recommend this climb to any biker on any type of bike. Thanks for hanging onto this report. I will be updating daily now until complete.

Again thanks riders for your encouraging words, more fun and laughs to follow.

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Costa Rica

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Climbs Mt. Washington
High Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
lm248
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
Thanks for hanging onto this report. I will be updating daily now until complete.
So,,,,, does this count as your "daily" update???
Seriously though thanks for coming back to finish up.
Les
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #22
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Conway to Lincoln

Now having the Mt. Washington climb behind us, we had to get back to North Conway to check out of our hotel and make our way west. Due to the mountain not being opened for bikes until later we didn't arrive back to the hotel until 3:30 for check out. That didn't go over super great, but at least no additional charges were made.

Leading up to todays climb, Carries Ninja started to shift poorly. We believed that it was due to needing an oil change that I should have taken care of prior to leaving Nova Scotia (my bad). After check out we found a Honda/Polaris dealer in Conway (Profile Powersports 603-477-5855) that we were able to ride in and have serviced. This fixed the notchy shifting but made our departure that much later to move on westward.

We continued on Rt. 112 (Kancamagus Highway) through the White Mountains onto Lincoln. On Rt. 112 we passed Bears Notch Pass again that we had to re-ride. This road is approx. 14kms each way and was honestly the funnest road that we covered on our trip.There is no video of this road because trust me, you want/need both hands on the bars here, especially at the pace we were traveling . If you get down to the White Mountains of New Hampshire, make sure you look up this connector road between Rt 112 and Rt. 302, it was made for motorcycles.

The entire ride on the Kancamagus Highway was great. It is all sweeping corners through the woods with light traffic. Its really hard to keep within the speed limit on and there is always a possibility of running into the steel cowboys with radar. We were lucky. Due to our leaving late and making time, there was not a lot of photo opportunities.

Arriving late in the day in Lincoln we checked the GPS for hotels and from a recommendation at a gas stop we chose Indian Head Resort (1-800-343-8000). It was named this because of a unique rock formation on a nearby mountain.

We quickly made ourselves at home

Due to our late arrival we learned that the resort was basically booked up. They also rent out a couple of homes just off of the property that were available so we booked one of those. It was $216 plus lodging taxes.

Video of the home

Also with staying here at Indian Head they had a meal plan. $30.00p.p. would cover you for diner and breakfast. This place (like all other stops in New England) had a fantastic restaurant. Both meals were worth that fee easily.

Since we couldn't let a day go by without squiding it up somewhat. Later that night we rode down into Lincoln to try to score The Squig some hippy hay. We chose not to take any gear or helmets just for the hell of it. We hung out at a local watering hole for the better part of the night. On return we passed the troopers parked at a garage. Being the lead bike I watched in my mirrors the bikes coming around the corner behind me . . . one . . . two . . . . f@#k, no Carrie ! I turned around and the lads continued onto the the house. Coming back around the corner, Carrie was pulled over. After my border experience, this was the last thing I wanted to revisit. The trooper was a good guy though. Get this, the reason we got pulled over is because we were not wearing safety glasses of some kind. Its ok to not wear a helmet. As a matter of fact, its probably ok to wear a Speedo for safety gear, but if you are not wearing sunglasses (even at night) than you my friend are getting pulled over. We were told it was in case you hit a June Bug or something. I was starting to think who ever made up the safety rulebook in this area was on the electric lettuce.

The officer who had seen us parked at the local pub didn't believe me when I told him I hadn't been drinking so he put me through a sobriety test. In Canada, if your suspected of drinking and driving you have to blow into a machine that gives back a blood/alcohol reading. As long as your level is below the legal amount, you are good to go. In Lincoln, you are expected to perform a number of circus stunts that an olympic gold medal winning gymnast would find excruciatingly difficult ! After performing a one handed moon walk backwards down the yellow line while supporting fine china on my feet it was deemed that I was now fit to continue biking back to the resort wearing my Speedo's and now shades. Now riding helmetless with a visibility of approx. 2 1/2 feet because of the sunglasses we continued on. I may have run over 12 cats, a skunk, and a number of raccoons on the way back, I'm not exactly sure. The good news is that I did not loose an eye to any June Bugs still preying on bikers in August.

This concluded our 16-18 hour day. Total miles covered 143. Total police pull overs 1. Total June Bugs killed in the making of the trip 0.

Up next : Westward into Vermont. A boot blow out. Some refreshments , and more great roads and scenery.

Stay tuned riders !

Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #23
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm248 View Post
So,,,,, does this count as your "daily" update???
Seriously though thanks for coming back to finish up.
Les
Hey Les, I love your avatar ! I've modeled my life after that cat . . ack . . .barf ! I get a kick out of the names and avatars of members who read our threads. I guess we attract those that are like us

Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #24
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,387
who is taking care of the pig? does carrie have a sister?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #25
Mistress of the dual
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
Fun report. I’m impatiently waiting for more.

(I wasn’t going to make any comments but I felt it was my duty after reading post #23)

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
Fat Bear
Iron Butt #48477

Oddometer: 41
Judging by the photo taken at Indian Head, and your experience with the Trooper in Lincoln, it seems to me that you're ready to take the witness stand at any time. Your posts are always a hoot........... Happy trails,
Fat Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #27
pmkstrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Really fun RR -- thanks for letting us tag along!

Pillion and I want to ride Mt. Washington this weekend, as long as it's not socked in by s**ty weather. How much time do you think we should allot for the ride up, hang out a bit, and come back down. We need to get back home the same day and would have a lot of miles left to ride.

pmk
pmkstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #28
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,364
Very nice, joy to read RR.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #29
High Side OP
Squidventurer

Sorry for the delay and thanks for hanging in there. Day five had us up at the crack of noon. We headed down to the resort to complete our meal plan. There were a group of riders staying at Indian Head who were touring on vintage Nortons and Triumphs. That would be a blast and kudos for those guys for doing so.

Back to the house to pack up and leave. We managed to catch the Squig during some quality time.

Heading westward toward Vermont we started to run out of the White Mountains. Still great roads left though. Route 118 is a great road for an adventure bike because it is all twists and turns with zero traffic only the pavement surface is poor at times. No worries for the KTM and V-strom, tuffer for the SV and Ninja.

We traveled along route 25 and 10 enjoying the great roads and countryside. Traffic was very light so it was easy to creep over the speed limit if you weren't paying attention. Along this route speed limits would drop to 35 miles and hour (55kmph) quite often and there was no lack of enforcement. While riding along an open stretch I was approaching a car and thought that I has seen a flutter of lights. Being brain dead I continued on at my pace. Now closer to the car the officer lit up the cherries on top to which I exclaimed F#@K into my headset. Luckily the officer had better things to do than to give me my third brush with the law in five days so the lights were a warning for us only.

We took route 116 onwards to Franconia. This is another great biking road if you ever get the opportunity to ride in this area.

In Franconia we stopped to eat at the Dutch Treat. Another excellent place to dine for home cooked meals.

Amish broke down when he learned that two of the only things he eats (cub house, chicken fingers) were not on the menu (kidding)

We crossed over to Vermont and stayed on route 302 to Barre where we started to look for accommodations as well as some shoe glue to fix my now exploding riding boot. These boots were old, very much used and way past retirement. Hey, if I didn't have to pay weekly fines and bail, I would have been able to afford to replace them long ago. In the town of Barre I was able to score some Shoe Goo and after a couple of stops we were able to find accommodations at the Twin City Motel ($95.00) 1537 Rt 302 (802) 476 3104. This was a clean older motel and that was all we needed. I quick bite to eat, a trip to the liquor station and then it was back to the motel for some drinks and gambling and boot repair.

Here is a video of our room

Here are three easy steps in fixing a biking boot on the road.

Step 1 : Open Glue Top

Step 2 : Weight freshly glued sole with table and pannier

Step 3 : Pass time waiting for glue to bond by drinking what was left of the previous nights wine now conveniently stored in a Corona bottle

Ended the night with another surprise visit from the Squig

Total miles for todays adventure 149
Boots fixed 1
Tubes of glue huffed 1

Tomorrow brings our first rain. Another amazing notch road. A broken beer in my tank bag from wheelying in town . And NO brushes from the law.

Stay tuned . . . .