Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #46
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
Very nice! Man when you said much (or all) of Scotland loos the same, you weren't kidding. I was on holiday last October into November on the North Coast (Kyle Of Tongue area) and it is very similar to some of your pix. No less enjoyable for it tho- keep it up and best of luck with your bike! Lovely country- I appreciate your taking the time to post the pix.
I appreciate your commenting! How was the weather at that time of year? We had some pretty crazy storms about then.

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #47
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Our glorious week of sunshine is over. It's back to being dull and cloudy. Summer sure was fun though. I'll miss it.

Took a trip to Glen Coe yesterday and photos will follow shortly. This update will be a small one though, about my journey to St Andrews. It wasn't great.

The first problem was that I had woken up feeling ill. This wasn't too much of a problem as the sky was grey so staying in bed wouldn't be a hardship. Then the sun came out. Sunny days are a rare thing in Scotland. Often we can go entire summers without getting 3 sunny days in a row. So when the sun is out, you make the most of it.

What I should have done was picked somewhere not too far away to go have lunch but instead I decided to do something a bit different and head east, to St Andrews. One of the many places I hadn't been since I was a child, I was looking forward to the warm, seaside air.

The journey there sucks.

It starts off nicely, with a trip over the Kincardine Bridge and onto Culross (pronounced 'coo-russ' for some reason). The road into Culross is your typical winding, up and down country road that is great fun on a bike. And Culross itself is a cute, quaint village with dodgy corners that you have to peep the horn before going round.

Once you're past that though, things start going downhill. The road I was following is the 'Fife Tourist Coastal Route'. Which sounded promising. It did not deliver on that promise. It's town after town (with harsh speed limits), with almost no scenery or even enjoyable roads on the way. Some towns are nicer than others of course (Aberdour is cool, Kirkaldy is ugly) but all in all I found it a slog.

So much so that by the time I reached St Andrews I was so tired and frustrated that I drove through the town, doubled back and came home. I only stopped when I saw the golf course and decided to take a picture.

Trying to avoid the same, dreary road on the way back I took a different route. I got lost but it was way more fun. Just wish I'd been in a mood to enjoy it.

Anyway here are the 3 photographs I took;

This one is a bush. I was trying to take a photograph of a bird but it apparently disappeared before I could take the picture. I include it for you today as I feel it sums up the entire trip.

Bush:

This is the beach at Kirkaldy. The seafront of Kirkaldy seems like it's trying to be a Scottish Holiday resort with high rise flats by the seaside. The problem is the flats all have that horrible post war we-don't-have-any-money-left-to-build-stuff look about them. They were so ugly I didn't even take pictures. I'm sure there are nice bits but I didn't see them.

Sand:

St Andrews was heaving. Clearly the students had decided to skip classes and enjoy the sunshine. I'll say now that St Andrews must have the highest population of attractive women I've seen. Concentrating on the road was not easy. I have no photos of attractive girls, before you ask. It seemed pretty nice though and I'll likely to go back (on a different road) at some point as there was clearly lots to see.

Golf Course:

And that's that. I'll hopefully get my Glen Coe report up later.

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 05:42 PM
Old 05-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #48
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So yesterday I returned to Glen Coe. The warm weather this week meant that I was out on the bike as much as possible and the chance to go see the stunning glen without freezing my ass off (see page one of this thread) was not something I was going to pass up.

So off I went. I'm clearly getting faster on the bike as the journey up felt nowhere near as long as when I tried it the first time.

As with any sunny day, there were plenty of bikes on the road. As it was a Monday however, they were mostly retirees or foreigners here for a holiday. So the roads weren't quite as packed with bikers as they were on Sunday.

Once again, Loch Lubnaig was busy with campers. Tents lined the shores and campervans filled the carparks. I saw the aftermath of two crashes at the entrance to carparks on the way up. Both cars seemed to be pulling in when someone ran into the back of them. I've nearly done something similar myself in the car when I didn't see the indicators because of the sun and the guy pulled across the road in front of me. So I decided that I should maybe use some hand signals as well.

Anyway, a ride up past Loch Lubnaig wouldn't be the same without stopping at one point to grab a couple of pics.

Loch Lubnaig:

The rest of the journey up went smoothly enough. The roads were almost clear of caravans etc which I wasn't expecting. I had a quick break at the Green Welly Stop and had a wee chat with some of the other bikers who were out, making the most of the sun. Almost everyone was as shocked as the next guy about the weather.

A little further up the road I pulled in at a rest stop that has a good view of Loch Tulla and the surrounding area. It was here I found my 3rd crash of the day. A car was being removed on a flatbed lorry. Saw a few cops talking to the people who appeared to own the car so don't think there were fatalities or serious injuries.

Loch Tulla:

I didn't have far to go until I was off the bike again. There was a bit of a running theme with a group of cyclists who were on the same road. I'd pass them on the bike then get off to take photos and they'd pass me. Happened 5 or 6 times. I think they thought I was weird.

Anyway I pulled in at the side of the road as I was at a loch that had caught my eye the first time I'd come up but I hadn't photographed because I was so cold. Don't ask me how to pronounce this one but it's called 'Lochan Na h-Achlaise'. It's in an area called Rannoch Moor. It's one of the many spectacular roads in the area. What I like about it most is that you don't have to get off your bike and go wandering to see it. This is literally what you see when you look left from the road.

Lochan Na h-Achlaise:

So I moved on, passing the cyclists on the way. There was a rest stop further up that I was trying to avoid because I took photos there the last time. So I just pulled in at the side of the road and went for a wander. The ground was pretty boggy so I didn't go too far.

Outskirts of Glen Coe:

So I zoomed past the cyclists and into the glen. There weren't as many tour buses as last time which struck me as odd given the time of year but I suppose I was here earlier in the day than I was the last time which might explain it. Another rest stop and more climbing over rocks to get photos.

Glen Coe:

The next rest stop was only 2 minutes round the corner. I considered just pushing on and enjoying the ride but tbh I need the excercise so I stopped for more photos. I noticed a small hill beside the car park and decided to climb it for a better angle. I got halfway up before turning back in disgrace, shattered. I was so tired I considered lying down and letting the local wildlife eat me alive as a less painful alternative to walking any further.

Look how far away my bike is! It's the dot south of that campervan. The hill was higher than I thought (but still pathetically tiny).

This Dragonfly looked like it was dying. The thing was huge. Prob 4 or 5 inches long. Didn't know we had insects that size here. Having looked it up, it seems it's a Golden Ringed Dragonfly.

Round the corner was the waterfall. Having used up all the water I'd brought along while climbing that mountain, I was very tempted to climb down and dive in to the pool at the bottom.

Waterfall:

After that it was Steak Pie for lunch and into Glen Coe Village. The food was good but it just made me sleepy. I stopped at a petrol station to buy some juice and was served by a young lad who was clearly distracted by a pretty young lady filling up her car. He didn't take his eyes off her the whole time he served me!

There was just enough time to take a couple of pictures of Loch Leven and the view back into Glen Coe before heading home.

Loch Leven:

The journey home went smoothly. No crashes to see anyway. I did at one point feel the need to stand by the side of the road with my trousers at my ankles to cool down though. I had stuff on underneath but it didn't stop me getting some funny looks.

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 06:02 PM Reason: Because Loch Lubnaig doesn't start with an 'N'.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #49
Kamchat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
Some great photos there Matt... .
Rannoch Moor is an amazing place ....if you catch it at dusk, in the right light, it can almost feel like you are another planet.
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #50
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
some great pictures.

Kamchat and myself have probably passed you at some point.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #51
Red Zebra
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Excellent! Stunning scenery. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #52
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Some great photos there Matt... .
Rannoch Moor is an amazing place ....if you catch it at dusk, in the right light, it can almost feel like you are another planet.
Yeah I think Rannoch Moor might just be my favourite stretch of road I've been on.

I have my theory test this week. So I'll hopefully I'll be one step closer to getting my licence.

I also just bought myself a tent so looking forward to some longer trips soon. Will wait til I get the licence stuff out of the way first though, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammyman View Post
some great pictures.

Kamchat and myself have probably passed you at some point.
TYVM. Yep if you ride with him, I'm often out on the same roads that you are. Not sure if I've passed you right enough, though to be fair if I blinked I'd miss the lot of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Zebra View Post
Excellent! Stunning scenery. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for checking them out and for commenting!

My Flickr
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #53
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
TYVM. Yep if you ride with him, I'm often out on the same roads that you are. Not sure if I've passed you right enough, though to be fair if I blinked I'd miss the lot of you!
Funnily enough I have still to meet Kamchat. I have met his mrs and the rest of his entourage but never the man himself!

I usually go myself or with another few guys. I also usually go out on the weekdays or a saturday most of Kamchats rides are Sundays when I'm not free.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #54
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammyman View Post
Funnily enough I have still to meet Kamchat. I have met his mrs and the rest of his entourage but never the man himself!

I usually go myself or with another few guys. I also usually go out on the weekdays or a saturday most of Kamchats rides are Sundays when I'm not free.
Ah right, well in that case we probably have passed each other at some point. Weekdays are when I do most of my riding as I hate the traffic that comes with the weekend.

My Flickr
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #55
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm one step closer to getting my full licence as I passed my theory test yesterday. I have my first lesson booked for next week so looking forward to that. My CBT is actually quite close to running out so I'm going to have to be quick getting through everything or else I'll have to sit that again. In an episode of sadly typical stupidity, I only realised yesterday that my CBT runs out a full month before I thought it did. D'oh!

My Flickr
Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #56
f-five
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Beautiful!! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #57
Piaf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Scotland.......love it.
Piaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #58
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-five View Post
Beautiful!! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Glad you're enjoying the photos. There's plenty more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaf View Post
Scotland.......love it.
It certainly has its moments! The weather has taken a turn for the worse the last week or so haven't been out much. Hoping it picks up soon. If nothing else I have motorcycle lessons to look forward to.

My Flickr
Old 06-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #59
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not a ride report update but one that relates back to a post I made a few weeks ago.

Yesterday lunchtime I abseiled 165ft from the beautiful Forth Bridge. I was shitting myself but survived. And I raised 400 for 'Chest Heart and Stroke Scotland' in the process so quite proud of myself. It was fun but I can't see myself doing it again for a long time. If you get an overwhelming desire to donate you can still do so, here.

That's me on the right.

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 06:03 PM
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #60
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Good stuff, nice abseil. Was up in scotland in april on my ZX9R visiting aberdeen.....it was wetBack up again later this month to do the 3 peaks challenge with work so no bike this time. Kicking off from Nevis and then south all the way in 24hr's...fingers crossed

If you need any test tips drop me a PM as also a qualified DAS instructor

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote