Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #31
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
75 HP,out of a dual purpose single? At the rear wheel? What might be required to have this happen?

Curious.
Trust me man, you don't want to go there.

75 RWHP is 25% more power than the '12 690cc version makes (67 at the crank, about 60 at the wheel), and more than the 710cc Factory Team Rally bike as well.

You would need the 84.5mm stroke crank (all '12 690 or earlier Duke R), a big bore kit with custom cast reinforced cylinder (108mm bore), head work and high flow valves, bigger cam, bigger injector and custom tune, bigger throttle body, free flowing air box and a dual exhaust system.

This graph shows PS at the crank, yellow is with exhaust noise inserts, black without.

Don't forget that you will need a stronger clutch to actually be able to put the power down. The complete 690 Rally clutch assembly will work, but the cover alone is about €1000, let alone new basket, pressure plate, discs, etc...

A cheaper alternative is the spacer to use the stock LC4 cover and the billet pressure plate made by Engine Art in Germany.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #32
LanceSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I've had my 2012 for just over a month now. Done about 2000 km including one long weekend trip.
Apparently there is not an Acrapovic exhaust for it currently. I took my spare Akra left over from my 2 into 1 conversion on the 950 se and fitted that and a Rally Raid foam air filter. It was ok with just the occasion cough and die.
Then my dealer changed the mapping and everything went south. Constant stalling. The foam air filter was very exposed as I have installed thE RR tanks without the screen so I went back to the standard air filter and mapping with the Akra (can't stand the heat & sound of the std pipe) and alls good.
Loving the bike
.................................................. .........
Never argue, never justify, never defend
LanceSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #33
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceSA View Post
I've had my 2012 for just over a month now. Done about 2000 km including one long weekend trip.
Apparently there is not an Acrapovic exhaust for it currently. I took my spare Akra left over from my 2 into 1 conversion on the 950 se and fitted that and a Rally Raid foam air filter. It was ok with just the occasion cough and die.
Then my dealer changed the mapping and everything went south. Constant stalling. The foam air filter was very exposed as I have installed thE RR tanks without the screen so I went back to the standard air filter and mapping with the Akra (can't stand the heat & sound of the std pipe) and alls good.
Loving the bike
I have a stock 12. I've ridden about 1200 km including a 6 hour dual sport ride with a group. I haven't noticed any unique heat at the muffler. After you get the thing up to temperature all mufflers are hot, including the Akro systems on my other bikes. The only place I noticed the heat on this one is when I was wearing shorts and sandals while riding across town last weekend to install my Scott's stabilizer at my son's shop. Unprotected left leg is not a good idea. That left side header system will cook your ankle!

In any event, mine runs perfectly as a stocker. Idles and fuels through the range like a well-tuned motorcycle should. Never a stumble anywhere or a delayed start. Instant fire with just a touch on the starter button and no throttle. Still a little vibey in the mid 60mph range, though. Hopefully smoothes out with more km.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
okanoganJim
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I am right there with you. My muffler is hot, but nothing unusual. the turn signal is not showing any signs of melting. Thinking maybe they richened up the mixture a bit on the 2012 bikes. So far the bike runs perfectly. I am not seeking more power that is for sure. My only complaint is its a bit jerky on slow fist gear trails. I tried the Soft power setting for tight single track riding, that seems to smooth things out a bit, but still the bike does not feel in its element with slow going. My focus now with the bike is adding some small carrying capacity so I can bring tools, water, and tire patch items with me while exploring about. Ya Hoo !
okanoganJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #35
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by edra View Post
2012 enduro R is a good bike but it has some issues those being

- bad tank bolts
- radiator fan shroud and blades wearing into radiator quickly
- leaking coolant on metal pump face thingo
- stalling at idle at lights,ecu fuel tuning etc
- polycarbonate sub frame ?
- rubber fuel or coolant? hose needs to be zip tied to frame to avoid wear

Anyone have or addressed the above issues with their 2012?

Excuse my silly question - but where/how does one get the Akra update?
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #36
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Anyone have or addressed the above issues with their 2012?

Excuse my silly question - but where/how does one get the Akra update?
According to my dealer today-nothing available for the Akra on a 2012.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #37
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,216
Thinking about adding a FMF pipe just to have something a little cooler running. Notice on my friends 2011 that the FMF and tune make a difference, better throttle response for sure, not huge difference but noticeable and improved over a stock 2012. I'll wait a bit on the pipe as there are other bits to add first and there certainly isn't a lack of power in it's stock form.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
modeselector
Common as muck

After much time searching/reading went with the Wings - any issues and I will report back but hope no map update needed, we will see.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #39
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by okanoganJim View Post
I am right there with you. My muffler is hot, but nothing unusual. the turn signal is not showing any signs of melting. Thinking maybe they richened up the mixture a bit on the 2012 bikes. So far the bike runs perfectly. I am not seeking more power that is for sure. My only complaint is its a bit jerky on slow fist gear trails. I tried the Soft power setting for tight single track riding, that seems to smooth things out a bit, but still the bike does not feel in its element with slow going. My focus now with the bike is adding some small carrying capacity so I can bring tools, water, and tire patch items with me while exploring about. Ya Hoo !
I am struggling with where to put my tools/spares as well. For now I am using the KTM flip-off rear tail bag. It has the tool kit now, but plan to add an elec pump, Motion-Pro spoons, patch kit, portable jack stand and a few other extra's and spare levers. Prolly a tube too. I use the KTM tank bag up front. It's pretty big so I can use that for travel stuff.

I have a Wolfman rack and saddlebag system, but haven't mounted it yet. I imagine I could modify that to take a tool kit somewhere and the jack stand too.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #40
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 196
Just a quick update: after 1 600 miles the rear shock is busted again

First rebuild was at 400 miles.
Oldbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #41
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
According to my dealer today-nothing available for the Akra on a 2012.
Have a look here:

http://www.tomhamburg.net/KTM_Tune_list.html
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #42
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,856
My experience is coming along nicely.
My wacked out speed ended up being a fault wheel sensor. Swapped one out off of a demo bike.
Speedo works as it should, Yay!

With the RR air filter and FMF Q4 Ti slip-on my bike ran stellar with the stock map.
I am not sure what KTM is calling the performance map for the 2012 bike.
I hear 'Akro' map or 'off-road' map, both used terminology wise.
With the performance map my bike runs good when on the gas. But it stalls repeatedly on warm up, and occasionally at traffic stops. There are 'dead spots' off idle too.
I am going to put another week on the performance map, evaluate it, and then possibly try the stock map again. Off idle stalling is not good.
I may settle for the map that stalls less off of idle.
My dealer has a dyno and I have thought of dynoing it but I get into a lot of expense running each map on the dyno.
Does anyone have a dyno comparison between the stock map & performance map?
I suspect that would be telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I have a Wolfman rack and saddlebag system, but haven't mounted it yet.
Likewise. I want to get fueling closer before I go adventuring.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #43
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann51 View Post
I too was excited about the NEW improved 690 enduro. Picked it up Tuesday and didn't have an opportunity to give it a shake down until today. It started stumbling and it seemed ready to die so I pulled over and then it did stall. Long story short, I got it home and the blinking F1 light indicates it's a fuel pump issue. 4 longs and 1 short was the code. I'll take it in Tuesday and I'm pissed off enough to ask for my money back. I'm accustomed to Honda, BMW and Ducati reliability. It's been 10-15 years since my last KTM and obviously those were carburated.
wow that's what I call bad luck! did you finally keep it?

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #44
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
With the RR air filter and FMF Q4 Ti slip-on my bike ran stellar with the stock map.
I am not sure what KTM is calling the performance map for the 2012 bike.
I hear 'Akro' map or 'off-road' map, both used terminology wise.
With the performance map my bike runs good when on the gas. But it stalls repeatedly on warm up, and occasionally at traffic stops. There are 'dead spots' off idle too.
I am going to put another week on the performance map, evaluate it, and then possibly try the stock map again. Off idle stalling is not good.
I may settle for the map that stalls less off of idle.
Sent you a PM
Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #45
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Anyone used the 2012 SMC-R with Akra map on this? Friend just picked up a 12 and as i have the cable wants to drop a better map on, but is a bit hesitant. Done a bit of research and looks good, just wondering....
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote