Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #826
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaswood View Post
Repalcing tires, Pirelli Scorpion for Anakees.
Manual mentions not to remove grease from axle?
Is there a reccomended grease for axle?
Can one use wheel bearing grease to coat axle with.
The front did seem quite grayish?
Or is it best to do as they say just not remove grease from axle?
I read most of this thread did not see mention.
Tire threads too long to reread.

That Pirelli really did not want to leave that rear wheel.
I used never seize
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #827
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
WHat is the crank of the F800GS's cylinders?
Not sure what the question is. Crank is usually means crankshaft, the thingy the pistons connect to via connecting rods. If referring to the direction it turns, counter clockwise. If you mean type, it is referred to as a 360 degree type. On most vertical twins, it means both pistons rise and fall at the same time, but only 1 is on the power stroke. The engine has 1 power stroke on every 360 degrees of crank rotation.

If this question is referring to the change Husqvarna made to this engine, I posted. They changed the crank throws, so instead of 1 power stroke every 360 degrees of crank rotation, the power stroke occurs at 315 and 405 degrees. I hope your answer is in there somewhere.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #828
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
If this question is referring to the change Husqvarna made to this engine, I posted. They changed the crank throws, so instead of 1 power stroke every 360 degrees of crank rotation, the power stroke occurs at 315 and 405 degrees. I hope your answer is in there somewhere.
Not to hijack but I can understand the 360 degree crank choice in engine design -- the firing cycle is even -- for a vertical twin that would seem the smoothest choice. Why would Triumph use a 270 degree for the Scrambler (The Bonnie is 360) or Husky use 315,405?
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #829
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Because it sounds cool. The theory behind it, is the further the power strokes are apart, the less wheel spin or at least the better the rider can control wheel spin.

Must be some merit to it, as Yamaha introduced it in their 4 cyl. GP bikes in 2005 and HD still wins races on National dirt ovals with an antique engine.

The new Yamaha Tenere 1200 uses it on their current twin and have been using it on the TDM for years.

There are limits. In the 1920's some vertical twins ran 180 degree cranks. I piston up and the other down. Results in a firing order of 180-540. It also induces side to side vibrations so bad, it would shake the bike apart.

V twins all have it. What the firing order will be depends depends on what angle the cylinders are to one another. Ktm's 950 cylinders are 75 degrees apart and the crank rotation is 285-435 degrees.

If you own a 800xc with 240/240/240 crank, it is all BS.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #830
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Not sure what the question is. Crank is usually means crankshaft, the thingy the pistons connect to via connecting rods. If referring to the direction it turns, counter clockwise. If you mean type, it is referred to as a 360 degree type. On most vertical twins, it means both pistons rise and fall at the same time, but only 1 is on the power stroke. The engine has 1 power stroke on every 360 degrees of crank rotation.

I apologize for the ignorant way I phrased the question, what I was looking for (and you answered) was the "type" i.e. 360 degree. What does it mean that "only one is on the power stroke"?
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #831
toolbox77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Always at the bottom line - what kind of conditions are you riding in? Much mud? Might gently wash the rad with a hose - being cautious not to bend fins.
Paved and dirt roads mostly, but it's been running at 4 bars since the day it left the dealer. Is that more or less than where anyone else is?
toolbox77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #832
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbox77 View Post
Paved and dirt roads mostly, but it's been running at 4 bars since the day it left the dealer. Is that more or less than where anyone else is?
Yes, that's where it should be under normal conditions. Mine occasionally shows only three bars when I'm riding in very cold weather. But after 42,000 miles I can probably count those instances on one hand. Four bars is normal.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #833
toolbox77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Yes, that's where it should be under normal conditions. Mine occasionally shows only three bars when I'm riding in very cold weather. But after 42,000 miles I can probably count those instances on one hand. Four bars is normal.
Cool, thanks!
toolbox77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #834
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I apologize for the ignorant way I phrased the question, what I was looking for (and you answered) was the "type" i.e. 360 degree. What does it mean that "only one is on the power stroke"?

It takes two rotations of the crankshaft (720 degrees) to go through all 4 cycles of a 4 stroke motor(Intake,compression,power,exhaust). When 1 piston is in the Compression stroke(TDC) , the other is finishing the exhaust stroke. The only other option for a vertical twin and still be called a 360 would be if both were on the compression stroke. A Twingle. The same as a single cylinder engine only in duplicate.

It is the position the pistons are in relation to the bore that makes the determination of a 360 engine. The opposed piston BMW is a 360, because both pistons are at TDC at the same time, they too are on different strokes.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 02:55 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #835
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbox77 View Post
Stupid new owner question: what temp do other F800s run at? I'm steady at 4 bars and was just wondering if that's normal. Thanks!
4-bars is the standard ... I never see a 5th bar unless something is FUBAR
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #836
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
The dipstick on my wifes 650 twin has warped badly, has this happened to anybody?

I noticed it a while ago, but it has slowly gotten worse...

Ryan
Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #837
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
The dipstick on my wifes 650 twin has warped badly, has this happened to anybody?

I noticed it a while ago, but it has slowly gotten worse...

Ryan
Very weird.................
I've been tracking the "twins" for about 4 years now and yours is the first I've hear of...........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #838
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Very weird.................
I've been tracking the "twins" for about 4 years now and yours is the first I've hear of...........
This is after I tried to straighten it... It was quite a bit worse
Old 06-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #839
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
I'm only guessing, but perhaps it could have been inserted "wrong," in a way that forced it to bend, and then the engine heat softened it enough to stay bent? Otherwise, I'm with JR, never heard of this sort of thing before.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #840
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
I'm only guessing, but perhaps it could have been inserted "wrong," in a way that forced it to bend, and then the engine heat softened it enough to stay bent? Otherwise, I'm with JR, never heard of this sort of thing before.
I sure thought I would have noticed it being hard to turn in if it was trapped in a corner or something, but I know my wife checks her own oil level as well so she could have jammed it in there wierd as well. (cause guys never screw stuff up!!)

Ill see if they will warranty it!!

Ryan