Oddometer: 906
Patience, Grasshopper

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #167
desert_dave
n00b

Oddometer: 5
well it has been suggested that i should post pictures of my family. so here it goes FUCK YOU! and i mean that as nicely as possible.

Yes steve you are correct about the nascar beer. We have all tried, but to no avail can we make Travis turn from his evil ways. At least he's a cheap date..
desert_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #168
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,335
Guess I am done with this thread. No pictures shit. I do not have any sisters but I would have posted a picture of my brother if anyone wanted to see his ugly ass.
goosecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #169
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
... but I would have posted a picture of my brother if anyone wanted to see his ugly ass.

Beurk ... Damit ... I promise. I will never be eating cheese cake - or anything else - next time I read something here ...

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 04:56 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #170
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 892
We Been out ridin
Ill try to find some pics
Dave's sis is a BEAUTIFUL REDHEAD
(she is also like a daughter to me)

Are we at Wahweep yet Ged? one of my favorite river bottoms of the trip. We should have spent the night
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #171
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_dave View Post
well it has been suggested that i should post pictures of my family. so here it goes FUCK YOU! and i mean that as nicely as possible.
Ouch! (I did suggest a couple of doubles due to obvious privacy issues but, whatever...)

Great Story (even without pictures)! Please continue.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #172
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Bob,
Yeah....I have been out GPSing tracks this weekend.....and will pick up the RR tonight

I believe the unwashed restless FF's on this thread are only interested in pics and reading about Dave's mom and sis.... what a bunch of greasy bikers...

And....yes, we will be approaching Wahweap Wash from the Cottonwood Road out of Tropic...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #173
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Ouch! (I did suggest a couple of doubles due to obvious privacy issues but, whatever...)....Great Story (even without pictures)! Please continue.
Brad and the rest of you voyeurs who are disappointed with "No Pics" of the Mom/Daughter Act.....let your imagination work for you....(as it is all most of you have )

Or, as Dave said..... ........

For those of you who haven't taken your Ritalin today or who can't read....more story and pics will appear tonight

Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #174
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
We Been out ridin ...
Is there a day in the year you don't ride ? (I apologize if my jaelousy is perceptible here)

Paul Jr 8
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #175
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

didnt ride today.
work is the curse of the drinking class
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #176
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Travis Two headed westward to St. George. Utah to pick up a new oil filter before his blast back to L.A. .

We mourned his departure, had a group hug, and all felt a bit uncertain as to what would be the next "event" that presented itself.

We rode out of Tropic on Cottonwood Road into the wilds of the Escalante Staircase,

I wondered if it had handrails for Bob and me...

http://www.americansouthwest.net/uta...nyon_road.html

The redrocks gave way to flatter land and less spectacular scenery....

Some of the guys who were tired thought it was like riding uphill...

But that did not phase the Canuck....as he grew up walking to school 12 miles each way...and it was uphill each way...

We were generally an orderly group, with impeccable road manners...non of this side-by-side riding the HD pirates tend to do....like they were in an effin' parade or something...

Dan was already ordering beer and it wasn't afternoon yet...

The paved road ended after 20 minutes or so and we were greeted with a "Road Closed...except to local traffic" sign.

We huddled for a route consult and decided that we had to do it.... Hell, we were there, so we must be locals

So we pressed onwards ...let the dust begin

We cruised at a good rate such such scenic points as Grosvenor's Arch ...perhaps only noticed by Bob....who may have stopped to take a snap....being the good tourist...

This area reminded me of some of my local landscape in Kamloops, BC... sage, clay banks, and good riding options...

After a while, the road came up onto some higher ground and our perspective changed for a a bit..

I guess the elevation change was the "Staircase" part of this area...

I had no idea where we were headed that day (the plans were loose... ) but I knew generally where we were ...southern Utah headed east .

Bob had been talking about Wahweap Wash...and he was definitely looking forward to it. He had been disappointed he did not get to sleep in a cave at Toroweap on Day One (I didn't want to pop his fantasy and tell him it was really a ledge more than a cave,....but he had been there before and I hadn't....), so it was important we find it.

After some guiding by Kevin, we ended up in a wet riverbed with a few different approaches....stinky alkaline mud pits, soft sand, baseball rocks imbedded in wet sand and mud, occasional barbed wire across the wash, more soft sand detours from the wash....we were in heaven.

It seemed like we would be following the wash for some time, so at one point I just wicked it up and had a fun blast through the slalom course punctuated by sand ledges of varying dimensions....

The bikes posed for a Giant Loop promo shot....we figured that we should all get a new Coyote Bag simply for our effort...

Dan stopped for a tissue...he was so moved by the experience...

Kevin and Dave struck another manly pose...

We stopped a few times for rendezvous route discussions....and kept heading eastwards along the wash...

Some guys played "See if I can jump out of the way in time"...

Some guys needed a rest...

The sky was going through some changes with clouds coming and going....we needed to do the same and were headed towards Page, Arizona....or so I overheard....

We wound our way to a part of the wash were it became apparent we needed tp ride up onto some double track due to some conservation work or something like that in the area. I was having a fun time riding the wash, and was looking forward to Page...or some civilization where I could get more water...

It was fun in a different way than the wash...

Good traction

The trail took us towards an area Bob hoped to find now that he had pounded his way through Wahweap..."There are Hoodoos around here somewhere", he claimed.

We rode out of the wash and onwards....the guys kept forgetting the word "Hoodoos"...and came up with funny variations...and after a while, it became evident that the Hoodoos were out of our range for the day....so we were headed over some rough stuff and back into a final touchdown at Wahweap before heading to Bigwater (a place that was sure to be able to replenish my Camelback...or so I thought )...

The terrain varied a lot....

Back into Wahweap Wash before passing Bigwater (no water for me.... )

The Hoodoos were off for the day....finding a place to camp was the next move....Bob knew just the place and found the longest deep soft-sand double track he could....and for a while I was hating it.....no pics....too busy with my deathgrip on the bars as I was weaving through the deep red stuff like a drunken dragon

So....slow riding for me....the group was spread out so no one was around to watch me hate the deep soft stuff....I only had one sand nap..... I am a bit confused about where the deep sand was, but it seems like it ended up leading us back into Wahweap this last time...

We rode up onto double-track again and headed towards Bigwater. My thirst was taking over and I was looking forward to civilization if only for lots of some cold liquid... .
We continued eastward along the north side of Bigwater and bypassed it into the most barren stretch of land I had seen on our ride so far. We were within 15 minutes of Page and were ignoring it....WTF???

We were riding on the moon....

After a high speed run on a roller-coaster wide gravel road heading northeast, we came to a junction: Head north or east were the options:

Some conversation led up to Kevin riding a few different ways to finally return and say...."We are heading east...."

The road led into a rather scenic canyon....and I had no idea what it would lead to...and I was worrying more about my water (I had about 1/2 liter left and would want 1-2 liters before I went to sleep...I was averaging about 4-6 lites a day)...

These guys didn't know which fork to take....

We came over a rise and Lake Powell opened herself up....we just needed to find a rideable track to a level spot by the water....the hunt went on for about 1/2 hour...it was late afternoon and we were ready to unsaddle and see what was what...

The sight of water was a very welcomed one...

Bob led us to what helped me recognize what Heaven must look like:

Bob was happy....

We set up camp

and had a swim before the sun went behind the ridge ...the water was cool and refreshing....we were like school kids playing in the water....a bit of laundry was done....some power bars consumed, and a fire was in order...

Just before the fire, we were lazing on the warm sandstone recounting the day...some libation and stuff made it a VERY COOL TIME...

motoged screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 01:23 AM Reason: cuz I can
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #177
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

how much is a liter
the 2 track sand road you were hating I was loving until I wadded up............only real hard crash I had this trip and for the first 1/2 mile after i was riding like a three legged fat lady..................you have to have speed and confidence to ride soft sand

that was the night we saw the big meteor right

for me that was one of the best days riding ...........i really liked the terrain changes and it had all my favorite riding

good times
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #178
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,058
Good pix and story...as usual. We've come to expect it now Ged.

You guys got into a little more 'dirty' dirt than we did, great ride and area nonetheless. We were in the area a couple of weeks later, H8chains group, RR started, finally...in case y'all are interested.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796890
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #179
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

You guys got into a little more 'dirty' dirt than we did, great ride and area nonetheless. We were in the area a couple of weeks later, H8chains group, RR started, finally...in case y'all are interested.
been following it
thanks
funny how the same area looks different throught different eyes and the trip varies by group
great area...been before and could go again......our weather this trip was hot and we preped for cold last time for me we had snow
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #180
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Chris,
I have watched your RR......one of you guys spels neerly as gud as Bob.....it's MEsqite....

Yeah, big bikes in some of that stuff =

There is so much to ride in that area, other RR's make me think, "I gotta do that again..."