Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I'm personally not convinced that the problem is in the board yet. You say that pushing on the external rubber plug, to the side,makes everything work? So it's still possible that connections between the the pins and the sockets of the rubber plug are the problem? Of course pushing the rubber plug also pushes the contacts inside the instrument housing. I'm just not convinced yet but others seem to say that chances are the problem is just the board.

Charlie
I agree - it's most likely, from the evidence presented, that it's the plug. However, don't discount the light board pins. Frankly, I think it's easier to do a resistance check on the pins than to figure out if current is making it through the plug into the light board. It's also not difficult to use a bright light and a magnifier to check out the connections in the plug. Any that look large can be carefully tightened up. But do be gentle - they can break, and then you're screwed!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #17
mattsz
moto-gurdyist

Oddometer: 140
My first post to ADV!

About my first BMW, a '75 R60/6!

Which is my first bike ever!

Wirespokes mentioned soldering pins to the printed circuit mylar - I have recently done this with good results. I had two non-working instrument lights - brake warning light and high beam light.

Now I don't know what to think about that brake warning light, since all my research says that it's to warn about low brake fluid level, and I don't have hydraulic brakes. But I do have a high beam, and I thought it might be nice to have *that* indicator light working. I got out the multimeter, and did lots of poking around (I didn't check any resistances, I just used the continuity tester) - I discovered that on each of those two lights, the positive pin had no electrical contact with the conductor on the mylar. So I soldered the high beam one, and now it works perfectly!

I didn't bother with the brake light pin, since I don't know that it would ever light up anyway. Can anyone tell me about this light on this bike?

mattsz screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 04:48 AM
mattsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #18
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,938
Welcome to the forum! And to riding!

You've got an adventure ahead of you!

Well done getting the high beam indicator working.

As for the brake light - you're right. No point messing with that one since there's no hydraulic fluid to concern you.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #19
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
Unplug the plug. Examine the female holes on the plug. They're numbered. #12 in the upper right corner is the ground for your idiot lights on the dash. As Disston has suggested above, pinch #12 just enough to deform it to ensure a tight connection to the pin. Reinsert and test.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #20
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,241
My R100RS hasn't shown the instrument back lights, neutral or high beam light for a while either. The indicators, oil and gen still work.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote