Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Nice report guys., It looks like Elbow Canyon Rd hasn't gotten any easier. I was out there solo in 2009 on a fully loaded 990. If I remember right the really gnarly stuff was only a half mile or so.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #32
liorsmotoride
Lior's moto ride

Oddometer: 406

I must go next year if it will happen
Used parts 04 R1150GSA 09 R1200GS
Parts Unlimited dealer and lot more
liorsmotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #33
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,449
Browneye's RR...Next Segment, still day one

So, Bar Ten Ranch is on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and is the only facility of any type within probably 60-70 miles from anything. It's 80 miles from Mesquite/St. George to the NW, and about 100 miles from Fredonia AZ. Access is way off the beaten path on dirt roads.

I don't know a lot about the facility, but from the looks of it they cater to the more well to do tourists that want a 'dude ranch' experience by flying out from Las Vegas to tour the Grand Canyon. The Lodge is beautiful, well equipped, with huge bathrooms and showers, a large kitchen, pool table upstairs on the balcony, a nice sitting area with fireplace, and seating for at least 30 people on benches with tables for dining.

They have their own airstrip which you can see down below the main grounds, closer to the canyon overlook. There are at least a couple of modern transport buses like you see at regular airports that shuttle travelers to area hotels. Theirs don't even have license plates on them because they never leave the property.

There is a fleet of 4x4 ATV's, and a small herd of horses all saddled up for visitors to explore the view access points on the canyon.

It's a well run family operation, they greet you when you arrive, show you where the amenities are, and invite you in for lunch. There's even a group of covered wagons they rent out for sleep-over visitors.

Joel arranged for lunch for us. The group rate for a sandwich and chips, and use of the grounds, was $22 instead of $27. Ouch. Everyone was glad to pony up as there is nothing else around. And they were willing to top up our fuel tanks with regular fuel only, $7 a gallon. Again, with no other options it was a no-brainer. The lunch spread was generous, a plethora of sandwich makin's, side dishes, even ice cold lemonade and cookies. Very nice experience.

Here's the lodge on the inside:

The covered wagons 'rooms' for rent:

Here are the front grounds where you pull up. You can see one of their airfield transporters here. While we were there at least three bus-loads of visitors showed up. Initially I thought they had driven the same way we came. Then it dawned on us that they were flying in and bussing up from the airfield. At one point we caught a glimpse of one of the aircraft taking off from the strip. The strip is about a thousand feet below the grounds and about a half mile away, so everything wasn't readily apparent at first glance. The place was really quiet and nice 'till all those people showed up.
But soon they went on a horse back ride and dispersed otherwise, so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Of course we had quite an extended stay and they kept asking us if there was anything else they could do for us while we waited. At one point we layed out on the lawn, soak up some sun, and relaxed a bit.

We were so thankful when the rest of our group showed up as we had waited almost four hours for them. Without a way to communicate you tend to 'horriblize' the situation and begin to worry that something really bad has happened. Riddler's brilliant idea was to use their satelite phone to call Spafxer since he was tracking the SPOT locators the group was carrying. Once we learned they had been stopped in Elbow Canyon for 3 hours but were now moving we were relieved.

We were talking about getting going, go back to the Trumbull Schoolhouse and wait for them, and finally we could see their dust trails down on the entrance road. They were on their way in.

Now just Joel and Paul were missing. Hmmm...what to do. No one knew what happened to them. Someone thought they had gone into St. George to try to get a part for Joels fork bleeder. If that was the case I would have expected them to show up directly at Toroweap campground. So I convinced the lead group to make our way out there. At least we needed to secure our campsites as only the group site had been reserved, and they would only allow half the group to camp in it. The rest had to get individual sites. The ranger was REALLY picky about how many people and how you parked and all that last year. Seems he was a real putz. Give a little guy a little authority and they go all power-monger on you.

So once we got to the Trumbull Schoolhouse there was Joel and Paul. Thank God!! Joel was now out of fuel so they HAD to get to Bar-Ten for fuel. We said we would keep going and get to Toroweap and secure the camping situation. It was now starting to get later in the afternoon. We had planned to have lunch at noon and be heading for camp an hour or two ago.

The ride to camp was beautiful. The road goes back over Mt. Trumbull, nice forested area. Again, Riddler was running point and I was on his tail. At one point he stopped to regroup and said he had seen a deer and to keep your eyes peeled. The entire area is known for deer crossing the roads, and they'll knock you right off your bike if you hit one.

The four in our lead group made it to Toroweap and there was ranger-dick, waiting in the middle of the road, hands up, wanted to see what these evil bikers were up to. We stopped and shut down, had a friendly conversation. Initially it was just Jon and I and he said, "just you two?" I said yeah, and then two more rolled up. So he then says, "Just you guys?" We said yep. So he said a campfire is not recommended due to the strong winds that were now dying down. And we should take one campsite (WTF?) to conserve space. So on we rolled, it's quite a distance from the ranger station to the campground, with a few sand pits, all in all a fun trek.

I'll save the Toroweap campground report for the rest, then follow up. Here's a couple'a teaser pix. We got settled into the last two empty sites and they were right next to the group site Joel had reserved. Smart move, considering the ranger and his generous attitude. The rest of the group showed up just before dusk.

browneye screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 11:32 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #34
STU CAZZO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Part 2 Bar 10-Toroweap

DAY 1 (Part II)

Upon our arrival at Bar 10 we were given a warm welcome by the staff members and were invited in to have lunch. We were reluctant to do so without the rest of our crew, but knew we must stick to the scheduled plan and get to Toroweap—being a holiday weekend-before all campsites would be taken. We heard the stories of Ranger Todd and how strict he was with 2 vehicles per site…so we felt an urgency to get there early so all 10 of us could be accomodated.

After eating lunch we looked into the distance waiting for that trail dust to head toward us. 3pm still no sign. Then Riddler came up with a brilliant idea! We didn’t have any cell reception at Bar 10 but knew they would be leaving tracks with the many Spot devices in the group. So Jon thought to call Jim SPAFIXER(back at home) via Satellite Phone to check the groups status. Jim notified us that no emergency signals were sent out and that they were all moving in the right direction. Thanks Jim!! At this point we had a sense of relief and felt comfortable to proceed knowing that we would intercept the group on their way into Bar 10.

So we filled up our water bladders and fuel tanks when suddenly four members(Ersin, Rich, Aram & Tim) of our group began to show up. They agreed we should get going to Toroweap while they went inside to fill their hungry bellies and kick it a little! So off the 4 of us went!

We backtracked the road for our final destination of Day 1 Toroweap. On the way back, we intercepted Joel and Paul at the Old Schoolhouse where they gave us the download. They headed toward Bar 10 to refuel and eat and we headed north to talk to Ranger Dangle. We were a little apprehensive in regards to meeting him not knowing if he would harass us or not! He actually turned out to be very friendly and prmitted us to stay 4 vehicles to a site. We rode in grabbed 2 sites next to the group site Joel had reserved. Everything fell in to place perfectly! Just before sunset the rest of the group began to show up. They sent up their tents and got comfortable! We feared windy conditions like the group had on last years trip but we couldn’t have asked for better weather. Absolutely spectacular!! Not cold, windless and tons of stars! A few of us went for a night walk while some of the others crashed early. Chris and Rich had a nice fire going by the time we came back from Tim’s lead night hike.
Next morning we woke up early to take in the sights and head toward Fredonia.

LUNCH AT BAR 10

THE PRISONERS OF BAR 10!!

NO DUST TRAIL YET!!

POST LUNCH NAPS!!

OUR OTHER FOLKS BEGIN TO SHOW UP.

ALL SET UP!! TIME TO EXPLORE THE THE WEAP!

POOR GUYS DROVE ALL THE WAY IN ONLY TO FIND NO EMPTY SITES!

EVEN AFTER A ROUGH DAY, JOEL STILL HAD A SMILE ON HIS FACE!!

1ST CAMPFIRE OF OUR TRIP

TIME TO ROLL OUT AND HEAD TOWARD INDIAN HOLLOW.

STU CAZZO screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 12:04 PM
STU CAZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 874
We had dinner reservations and it was $30 per head for a full cowboy dinner. We aslo got to watch 2 L.A. college chicks "showing off" yoga poses at no extra cost
it is a very nice oasis in the middle of not much
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #36
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Ranger "Dick"
Ranger "Dangle"

benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #37
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Nice pix Frank. You caught stuff I didn't, and got similar shots too.

Here's a few more from Toroweap...

Here's 'my' campsite, M1 pitched his tent in a flat spot here too. The group camp had several tent sites, and the third one did too. The two tents under the huge rock were completely shielded from rain....if it had rained. Fantastic weather here and the most scenic campground I have ever been to. And I'm not kidding.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #38
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Browneye RR, day two

The next morning was glorious and I convinced a few hardy riders to hike out to the rim as I had seen the pix Joel and crew took last year, and I didn't want to miss it since we'd come all this way and braved all that trail.

They are so fussy about keeping the terrain unmolested that they have a trail out to the rim marked off with rocks and rock cairnes. It was still cool so we didn't get overheated for our short jaunt to the rim. A few obligatory pix of the canyon from Toroweap:

The Colorado River is some three thousand feet below the canyon rim. Getting to the edge gives me the willies.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #39
FYYFF OP
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,878
I totally agree with Chris, "the next morning was glorious". I didn't put the rainfly on and watched the sky all night long. It was spectacular...
I packed my tent before we hiked down to the edge.

I think Joel is doing his Asian thing with his bare feet, you know earth and inner beauty stuff, bounding with the earth...

They preserve the nature really well

Gang from a distance

Aram & Paul

A local of Toro Weap

And finally breath taking view of Grand Canyon

Frank

Next stop Fredonia for lunch and gas before we head down to Indian Hallow. We had no problem on Day 2, at least for now. We rode through some wide open dirt super highways at very high speeds.

We gassed up and crossed the border to Utah for lunch.

Some marbley dirt roads heading to Indian Hallow for day 2 camp.

Exchanging pictures with Rich

Just when we think everything was going flawless we took a break to let Joel, Rruugger and Riddler to catch up. We waited...

Waited...

And waited...

No sign of them and we decided to move on and catch up with the others and decide what to do then. We had some sweet forest 2-track right before the camp ground.

I knew that it would be cold that night so I set up my tent close to fire, it didn't help...

We did an other short trekking to the vista point through woods.

And we had an other amazing view of Grand Canyon here.

Enjoying the view

This view...

Kiddos

Chris is cooking the main dish in his kitchen.

Set up a nice camp fire

And finally around 11pm I went to my room. I didn't put my rainfly on again but this time it was fu... cold. I couldn't sleep all night.

I know this is too many pictures but words can not describe how beautiful that trip was. And if you didn't get enough here is the link for all the pics...
Day 3 in on the way.
Enjoy...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube

FYYFF screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 09:05 PM
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #40
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,459
Thanks for all the work, putting this together. Pics are great!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #41
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
Looked very nice out there. Can't believe it would be cold out there at this time of year.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #42
FYYFF OP
Forever young...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Thanks for all the work, putting this together. Pics are great!
Thanks for the encouragement Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
Looked very nice out there. Can't believe it would be cold out there at this time of year.
It was 32 at Indian Hallow. Here is Joel's thermometer:

Once the fire was out, I was freezing my ass off. I couldn't get up to put my rainfly on. Also our last camping night at Navajo Lake, Dixie National Forest, was really cold. We were over 9,000 ft high by this georgeos lake and pine trees... But we'll get that later...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #43
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Weather, temps

As mentioned, a rather large storm front rolled through central CA and into southern Utah and northern AZ on Friday our departure day, ending by Saturday night by the time we got to Toroweap. The storm warning was wind warnings - sustained winds of 40mph with gusts to 65, red flag warning - fire danger, and a general storm warning for the 3 states.

Apprehension was putting it mildly. It also dropped temperatures 20 deg below normal. So instead of vented gear and a 40deg sleeping bag, we donned regular spring gear, jackets, and 20-30 deg bags. I was glad I brought my warm down sleeping bag and tent, was probably the only one that wasn't cold.

At Navajo lake I washed out a riding shirt thinking I'd wear it the next day, laid it out over the bike hoping it would dry. It was frozen the next morning.

It did make day-time temps rather comfortable though. The ride out to Lee's Ferry got pretty warm, maybe 90deg.
Temps 90-100 the whole trip would have made for a completely different experience.

Toroweap is at about 4000', Indian Hollow on Kaibab Plateau about 6K', and Navajo Lake at just over 9K'. The elevation is what keeps the temps down. For comparison, Mesquite had been right at 100deg.

Nice forest roads going into Indian Hollow Campground where there are just 3 campsites. There were two cars in one site, we took the other two. Very nice place in the forest. These roads don't get much traffic as the grass growing in the center indicates.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #44
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
sean, really very nice out there. the route that we did, we hit 5 national parks. yes it was cold....especially the 4th night, brrrrr. i woke up in the morning in someone's tent.....hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liorsmotoride View Post

I must go next year if it will happen
will make it happen lior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Nice report guys., It looks like Elbow Canyon Rd hasn't gotten any easier. I was out there solo in 2009 on a fully loaded 990. If I remember right the really gnarly stuff was only a half mile or so.
dave, we did elbow last year on loaded bikes, jim was on his 950 and no issue. strange, the whole trail looks chewed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
We had dinner reservations and it was $30 per head for a full cowboy dinner. We aslo got to watch 2 L.A. college chicks "showing off" yoga poses at no extra cost
it is a very nice oasis in the middle of not much
we all happily obliged to pay for the $22 lunch (was $27); having bar10 there is an oasis; unfortunately no yoga girls while we were there.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #45
FYYFF OP
Forever young...

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
sean, really very nice out there. the route that we did, we hit 5 national parks. yes it was cold....especially the 4th night, brrrrr. i woke up in the morning in someone's tent.....hahaha.
You know the site rules Joel,
No pictures = it never happened.
So let's keep it that way...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube