User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #61
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Hi Rucksta & Locky

I am not anticipating the same kind of bike notoriety here, ... Relief!
To my knowledge there are 3 active HPN's this side of the country, mine should be the 4th and the white one in some of my pics will be the 5th. Don't see any of those fella's "scouting for crops"

Dakar83 screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 03:22 AM
Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #62
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

GSD4ME I should be able to give you some Lynx feedback real soon ;-)

Boxa'bits basically the alternator fitted fine but the rotor that came with the ignition kit was not a good fit and when bolted in place it rotated elliptically. The rotor itself is fine as in circular not elliptical, but because it is slightly too narrow in diameter at the insert, it gets pulled slightly off centre when bolted up causing an elliptical rotation that brought the rotor arm into contact with the hall effect sensor.

I'll try a couple of photos this one shows the rotor in the alternator.

Here is one of the rotor out of the alternator

The screw driver is pointing to the section of the rotor where the diameter has been machined a bit too far.

We decided that rather than trying to machine a new rotor we would try and move the hall sensor (not shown above) a bit further back from the rotor. This involved machining the bolt holes slightly so that it could be pulled back and then the bolts locked down to hold it there. This worked and the magnetic sweep arm now clears the hall effect sensor.

Dakar83 screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 06:39 AM
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #63
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

While at the workshop today a bike arrived having been shipped from the UK. It's an R80g/s with genuinely less than 230 miles on the clock. It arrived in a BMW Motorrad crate. Hmmm I thought, they have gone to a lo of trouble to pack t up well. There was an inspection point in the side of the crate so of course I had a look. Wow what a beauty, it really does look brand new. According to Dave the new owner bought the bike unseen, well apart from photos. It was a genuine mileage and has been given a cosmetic restoration as needed, ie rims polished etc..

I helped Dave unpack it and wheeled it into the workshop where I tried to snap off a few picture to give you an idea of how nice this bike looks. The new owner will be pleased, but he hasn't seen it yet!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #64
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 652
Wow!
That's what mine was supposed to look like?
(lived by the sea for too long, before I got it)
Great find.
S.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #65
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

During this week Dave installed the wiring harness, the Yamaha indicators and made brackets for the indicators and rear seat rest.

The caliper adaptor bracket finally arrived from Schneider KTM in Germany

But there is a problem ! It amazes me that you can pay top dollar or in this case Euro 88 of hem for an adaptor from a professional business only to find that it doesn't fit out of the box!!!

You can see the top of the caliper adaptor won't seat over the bolt hole unless a little filing is done. Thankfully it is an easy fix and at least the rest of the product is well finished and robust.

Next problem, the adaptor is for a 320 mm rotor and I have a 300!
I went down to see the local KTM dealer but they had no stock of 320's, however I was in luck one of the salesmen overheard my enquiry and caught up with me at the door. He had a 320 rotor in his spares box at home and would be prepared to sell it to me. The next morning we met up and I purchased a nice second hand 320 KTM rotor. We were back in business.

Here you can see the Vapour speedo cable pending attachment.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #66
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,614
Geeze!!. Beautiful bike, but I think the PO should be stoned for not letting that bike do what it was made to do!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #67
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 652
Thanks for posting up the bracket close up!
Frustrating abut the fit...
Beautiful build.
S.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #68
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next the battery was installed and all the lights and switches tested.

I can't believe it I just missed out on an HPN water tank aaaaghh!
Another HPN owner Mike has had this gem sitting in his shed for ages.
But BJ found out first (that's the owner of the white HPN in progress)

It would have fitted in so nicely between the rear fender and the battery.

Oh well I will have to wait for my order to come from HPN, unfortunately it could take a while, they have not yet acknowledged the order and that was sent almost 3 weeks ago, groan...

Mike has just come back from Europe, he visited HPN and spent a morning talking and being shown around the workshop and numerous store rooms. It sounded like a veritable Aladdin's Cave. There are maybe 20 works in progress, shelves of inventory to drool over. Spare frames suspended from the ceiling by the score. Numerous race bikes one from each year of competition. It just went on and on. Apparently throughout this visit the phone could be heard ringing in the office but of course was consistently ignored. H&P are working for the love of it not for the $ so they're in no rush and the phone well if it's important they'll ring back.

Anyway my disappointment at missin out on the water tank was soon forgotten when Dave announced we were ready to see if there was fire in the belly!

Now Dave has built up many many engines over his career. His whole working life has been in the MC industry many of those years working for manufacturers racing teams in Europe and Asia. This stuff runs in his blood, he is related to Burt Munro of NZ, that's right "The Worlds Fastest Indian". (Dave if you're reading this forgive me for blowing your horn, but some one has to do it. ha ha)
What I'm getting to is that it started up willingly on the third turn of the motor. Oh what a sweet sound!

About 4pm with growing certainty that I would be riding tomorrow morning I had to leave Dave to it. He was putting the finishing touches to the wiring harness / subframe connectors and was then going to fit the tank and balance the carbs.

Come and pick her up at 8am tomorrow he called!!!

Yeeeee Ha!!!

Dakar83 screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 08:15 AM
Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #69
scalpel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Seat

Do you use the standard G/S single seat with the HPN tank?
scalpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #70
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalpel View Post
Do you use the standard G/S single seat with the HPN tank?
Yep, or the double seat. They both fit the same.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #71
scalpel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Yep, or the double seat. They both fit the same.

Thanks Wrangler. My standard G/S single seat does not fit my HPN tank snugly. Will have a look again.
scalpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #72
adventure950
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 505
Really nice to watch this one come together i have been keeping an eye on it for a while shes looking very nice now, Jake.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #73
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalpel View Post
Thanks Wrangler. My standard G/S single seat does not fit my HPN tank snugly. Will have a look again.
Do you have permanent tank mounts welded to your frame or do you use the clamp on mounts? The clamp on mounts take a little experimenting (or even bending) to get just right, so play with them a little bit. If your mounts are welded on then I guess you're stuck with what you've got, but can play around with the rubber feet on the bottom of your seat. Make them thicker or thinner to adjust the position of your seat. I think the locking tang at the back is adjustable a bit to scoot the seat forward or back. I know it is on the later GS saddles (not G/S).

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 02:47 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #74
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
hi John
please look :http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...powell&page=43 :page43 but I'm sure there is more about him in the same block and there are also different ones about him.
that's the the only real desert racer in WA I know and Fred still rides that bike today.
as soon BJ's bike is finished we three should take a ride down south and catch up with him, I never met the bloke but some older club members know him in person.
cheers
michaelschmidt
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #75
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello Mike

Sounds like a great idea, let's do it!