User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Beater OP
Is it broke yet?

Oddometer: 3,070
Left Combined Dimmer Switch !@#$ Failure: 91 GS

Left Dimmer switch died .... front light low beams are off and I can't get them to come on ... The brights to work ... but just on the 'flash' momentary side.

I'm supposed to go on a 300 mile ride tomorrow.

I'd like to fix this (temporarily). The power is coming from the green / blue striped wire into the switch. The white is the brights. The yellow is the low beams.

Is it possible to just solder a wire connecting the green/ blue striped and the yellow pin and call it a day? Am I reading the wiring diagram correctly? Are these switches prone to failure?

EDIT: FYI: Diagram for sloppy pic:
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Do you have hot coming in on the yellow/white? If it's wired like a /6, that yellow/white is coming from the headlight relay and is the power for your normal Hi/Lo beam use. The 'passing' beam should have its own power source, not from the relay. I presume that is the green/blue on your bike.

So, if you can't figure out why the relay is not giving that electrical love to the yellow/white, then a temp fix would be to run the green/blue to the yellow/white pin. This probably would give you headlight on at all times, even when cranking. You'd lose the 'passing' function, but on this continent flashing a headlight is really just giving permission to the cagers to do the thing you least want them to do.........
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
T800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Also looks to me like power should be coming in on the yellow/white. These damn Haynes schematics can be confusing, though ...

T800 screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 03:56 PM Reason: Can't spell
T800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,639
It sounds like the problem I had w/ a 1993 K75S combo switch- the high beam flasher was all that worked. If you pull the switch apart check the raised contact inside the switch to the low beam it may be recessed in the plastic an not making contact. What I did was whittle away the plastic at the three terminals, white/yellow, white and one of the other terminal contacts. Had to remove some plastic at all three terminals, because the plastic at the other terminals would keep the contact plate raised off the recessed terminal.

If you pull the guts of the switch apart, put the switch in a plastic zip lock bag and pull it apart this was if parts fly they will be trapped by the bag.

green blue-hot
White yellow-hot
White Flash- high beam
White-high beam
Yellow-low

I think the white/yellow wire was a temporary hot when switched. Switch is back in the bike so I cannot check.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 04:14 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
kenbob
Gnarly GnOOb

Oddometer: 344
Dang switch

Same exact thing for me ......just discovered 2 days ago !! Was planning a little hop this weekend , also !!

Cept mine is on a gspd , 93

Good luck on your fix . Ken
kenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Beater OP
Is it broke yet?

Oddometer: 3,070
I have one coming from Ebay ... I soldered the Green/blue and the yellow one together. No hi-beams ... but the lamp is on.

Thanks y'all!
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,639
did you pull the guts out and check the terminals??? I bet that's your problem. Give 'er a looksee.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote