Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #16
nanotech9 OP
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,435
update from tonight. I camped lastnight w/o cell service, and its been raining all day today on the road... I'm tired and sleepy, so this is all you get. All from yesterday, no pics, but I'll post some tomorrow night maybe.

======

Haven't had much of a chance to update since yesterday... Left Wendover - turns out the three free drinks actually cost about $16 each...oops.

Nice and calm for the day as opposed to the nasty wind on tuesday. Made of over into Wells for breakfast, and planned on going to Deeth and heading north on a dirt road (747). Since I forgot to gas up, after talking to a couple of locals at Deeth, I decided to head back to Wells and go north on a dirt road from there into Jarbro. Great plan. Supposedly according to them you could connect the two. The GPS agreed, so off I went. Word of warning though was that it had snowed and closed off one of the roads up there two nights ago...

About 40 miles north of Wells, right after turning to make the connection westward to 747, I passed an old bead up sign in a corner that said something about private property, and "Not a through road". I was convinced that with the absence of a gate, this was a simple trick/warning to keep people out of that area.

I was wrong.

It wasn't really a through road. The connection on the GPS turned out to be 4-wheeler tracks along the north side of a fence line. They seemed packed enough, so I decided that I would give it a go. about ten miles later and a couple of unlocked gates later (nothing up here is locked thankfully!) I found my way back onto public land. I don't usually make a habit of trespassing, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I was trying to avoid a LOT of backtracking.... It was some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen.

All of this area, public and private is considered open range. Cattle roam freely, and the cattle guards around here are actually white painted lines on blacktop - they're FAKE! I guess the cattle don't know any better. I had to run quite a few off the road just to keep moving.

With my fill of dirt, i cut it short just south of Jarbro and headed over to 225 and into Owyhee where I ran into a fellow ADVRider from Boise who was in a car headed south for some family business. I headed on north through Boise and then up the river through Banks and into Smiths Ferry, which turned out to be closed down, so I double back in search for slightly lower altitude and higher temperature...

at 46deg and without a hint of cell service, I decided to get the fire going as best as possible.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
nanotech9 OP
** Slidewayz **

random scenery from the road... the view seemed to change about every hour or so:

In front of the Great Salt Lake... Smelled like the ocean, but stronger.

about Midnight with a full moon at the Eagle's Nest campground the first night.

Another shot of my high-altitude 2 mile off-road side trip with the big camera

Salt Flats

This is the picture I love the most from this trip. I'm telling everyone I took it like a facebook picture - you know, holding the camera out with one hand! lol. Not really. Never thought I would get to ride on the Salt Flats, much less wheelie on them, and as a Wheelie addict, this is probably on of my most cherished wheelie pictures.... Loaded down, almost empty tank of gas, and I weighed in about 5 miles later at 860lbs

'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
Old 06-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
nanotech9 OP
** Slidewayz **

campsite at Carson National Forrest

Cooking pancakes on a JetBoil

Nom Nom Nom...

Another shot of the Hostel
This is the german pilot guy that travels to the USA three times a year and rents planes and flys them around

Late night shot the night I arrived

And a couple more shots of riding the White Rim in Moab

'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
What great pictures!

Bill had told me that you were a great rider, but a wheelie pic on a fully loaded GS crossing the Salt Flats? That is front page material right there!

Keep them coming.

Okie Preacher screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 10:54 AM
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #20
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 397
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
nanotech9 OP
** Slidewayz **

Made it home.... ran the last 1060 miles from Wyoming home in 20hrs straight through and got home at 6AM. Unofficial Iron Butt.

I'll try to upload more pics soon... including some really cool shots from Beartooth Pass in northern Wyoming just above Yellowstone... the road was clear and cut out of 12-14' tall snow walls. Very cool.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #22
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 285
Nice report and thanks for sharing! Very good read for me regarding White Rim. I will be doing a big loop through the four-corners states in the fall and was considering dedicating a day to that trail.

Maybe it's a bit cooler by then?
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #23
nanotech9 OP
** Slidewayz **

So picking up back where I left off on the story....

Camped out in the cold... oh yes.... so I'm not quite sure just how cold it got, but I'm thinking high 30's... The campground was nice, in fact the NICEST I've ever seen... the ground around the picnic tables and in any areas a tent might go was MANICURED... I mean it was raked and smoothed. The fire pits were clean, no trash, etc.

It was a bit damp that night and I was pretty worried about getting fire wood to burn, but I managed to get a medium sized fire going with small sticks. Since this is the second or third trip i've hauled my camping hatchet along on, I decided to get it out and make good use of it and chop up a little fire wood.. I think I need to work on sharpening it a bit more - it worked, but wasn't the stellar chopping utensil that I hoped it would be.

As mentioned earlier, Cell service was non-existent in the area, and with the fire roaring I didn't dare try to go find service for the nightly call to the G/F at home, so I did the next best thing and hit the "all OK" button on the SPOT tracker... Twice.

The next morning, 5:30 came and left quickly... somewhere around 6am I got tired of listening to the alarm on my phone and stopped hitting snooze and silenced the alarm. You're hard pressed to get me out of a sleeping bag in anything below 40... ok 45... might as well make it 50. Turns out I decided not to get up until about 9am or so, and after cooking an overly complex breakfast including green tea, mountain house eggs and bacon, and PANCAKES (?!?!?) I decided to pack it up and finally hit the road around 10:30 Mountain time, and finally ran across cell service about 11am.

All of this is important, because apparently I forgot to go over all the details with my G/F of how to react to all the different SPOT messages, and in an low-level emergency, how to get on this site and find local people in the area to either check on me or when to call emergency services etc.

Debbee (G/F) had seen my tracker go up and then turn back, and even got the OK messages, but apparently she forgot I had taken a tent with me, and got worried when by the next day by NOON central time my phone was still going straight to voicemail.

After a lengthy conversation that morning once cell service was back, explaining what to do when, how to look at the satellite view maps to check for camping areas, and when to worry and not to worry, everything was back to normal.

I continued on up the western border of Idaho all day, and as the weather cooled down, the rain began. After about an hour of bad weather, the heat controller my brother built for me gave out and would only run on high. I continued on cycling heat in my jacket liner by plugging it in repeatedly. Later in the evening the rain was still going strong and I was ready to call it a night.... After checking out some of the local overpriced hotels, I remember my parents had a preacher friend about 5 miles away in Post Falls ID, so after a few quick calls I headed their way.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #24
nanotech9 OP
** Slidewayz **

catching up on pictures:

I believe this was in northern New Mexico possibly into southern colorado. I took what I thought was a shortcut between two highways... it wound through a dumpy neighborhood, and then turned into this trail down into this canyon and back up to where I took the picture from.

Part-way up the 550 into Ouray

Pretty cool old mining cabin (i think?) sitting on that hill.

More MOAB

Just to see how big some of these formations were....

Maybe I stopped to take too many pictures?

Another random shot from the salt flats... probably more for my parents who might get a chance to read this... lol

lots of salt...

Open Range - headed north on dirt in northern Nevada... This was a easement for either an oil pipeline, or a fiber optic line. I didn't look closely - although I did notice lots of Fiber Optic marker posts all over the place later on. I should have ridden this easement to catch the second road north... now I know.

Taking a break after almost crashing - a perfectly good dirt road transitioned to deep loose gravel and the bike started bucking left and right.... I got it under control, but something in the back of my head told me I REALLY needed to slow down and stop... Right about the time I stopped I realized there was a gate across the road. I must have caught a glimpse of it during the bucking... I knew there was a reason I was in a hurry to stop but my FULL attention was on keeping the front and rear end from washing out while slowing down. If the gate hadn't been closed I would have simply powered through it.

Camera is sitting on the gate post after going through and closing it behind me.

More pics of the ride home later...
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #25
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
WOW,

Great story, and a very good lesson to anyone interested in the WRT.

My big concern is how I can get that much water on my bike, but I will work it out.

Also very glad to hear you checked out the Lazy Lizard! I love that place. I thought I must be nuts the first time I stayed there, and perhaps on through the third time. I am rather used to it now, and we stay there every time I go. Can not beat that price for a room. In fact you can not get within $100.oo of that price for a room in Moab.

I also like to go to Pasta Jay's and Zax pizza when I am there.

Anyhow, thanks for posting up about your trip! I am headed to Ouray in two weeks myself, and looking forward to it a great deal.

Regards,
Brian

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote