Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #211
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,067
Nice. The sandstone terrain is awesome. I gotta read back and figure out where that is.

And that's bobzilla's 690 that had to be towed for forever????? Yeegads. No big katooms for me. The little ones are fine but their big ones seem to have issues. Our SE guys had spare fuel pumps and voltage regulators....geez. They all seem to get pinch flats too.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #212
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Chris,
Looks like you guys had a good ride, too . Some of the other Grand Canyon RR's just add to the motivation to return and see more of the area....We love the 690's....especially when they work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Nice. The sandstone terrain is awesome. I gotta read back and figure out where that is.

And that's bobzilla's 690 that had to be towed for forever????? Yeegads. No big katooms for me. The little ones are fine but their big ones seem to have issues. Our SE guys had spare fuel pumps and voltage regulators....geez. They all seem to get pinch flats too.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #213
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 647
dinosaur footprints??????????? amazing place!! great shots!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #214
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Day six

DAY SIX:

So....Day Six started in the blowing sand spindrift of Dinosaur Alley, was followed up by towing BobZ to Escalante where we dumped the bum.... but really, we all missed having our Grand Poobah Leader as this whole ride was of his making ....and then we rode back to Page via a similar route from whence we came the previous day.

Kevin selected our motel in Page. Beer in the parking lot, showers, laundry and chatting with older guys who were riding in on shiny cruisers from Flagstaff....and had been snowed on....or so they said....they looked thrashed whatever they had been through. Kevin also lined up a great restaurant for dinner. The guys liked the place as they each were convinced that one of the waitresses was sending them each covert messages regarding her general availability .

Cleavage will do that.

Funny how some guys think after "six days on the road"..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwPTYimAE7E&feature=related

After dinner, we regrouped for a few beers in the parking lot before resting our weary bones. The plan for the next few days was to ride the eastern and southern areas of the Grand Canyon....and then hook up with BobZ and Travis somewhere southeast of Las Vegas...at a place yet to be determined.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #215
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Day seven

DAY SEVEN:

We had left Mesquite a week ago...we had not really even seen the Grand Canyon yet as we were so busy tripping through all the drainage areas that lead to it....skirting the Canyon's edges, one might say.

Bobby and I were the last ones out of the motel parking lot....poor Bobby had been kick-starting the XR 650 for a week....and his right shin was sporting a goose-egg that looked like a painted Ukrainian Easter egg....proof that the footpeg is located far too close to the bottom arc of the kickstarter. He was kicking that mother for about 20 minutes before his tears, obscenities, and prayers led the Honda to burp into consciousness for another day .

Today we would ride through Navajo country in search of The Edge....

The day was overcast and occasional light rain kept the dust down.

About 10 minutes south of Page, several guys were ahead of me on the paved hiway...and I noticed something shiny sliding towards me down the road....and Bobby seemed to notice it too. As we slowed down, we recognized this mysterious object as something that had a striking resemblance to a kick-start lever...

Bobby and I pulled over....Bobby retrieved the kickstarter, and before long it was determined that Dan's bike was continuing to shed parts First, his side stand....then pieces of his elbow and wrist, now this leprous contribution

He shrugged and packed it away....nothing seemed to phase this guy. Steady guy....a quiet man who values his family and friends....with never a complaint.

Before too long Kevin led us off the pavement westward towards the Grand Canyon. We passed a few ranchers in their trucks before meandering through doubletrack that was either rutted and wonky, gravelly and loose, or hard-packed red sand that begged to be whipped with the twist of your right hand. For a few hours, Kevin took us to various viewpoints overlooking the GC.

The Grand Canyon certainly is a stupendous phenomenon....you can stand and gaze at it for long periods of time, and it still only sinks into your mind a bit at a time.....

We were riding the range again...: happayand loving it.

The wild horses played along with us ...and when we came across small herds of cattle, noticed that even they would run along beside us jumping like spring lambs discovering that their legs worked

The high prairie had a lot of ways to go to get there...

And before you thought that Kevin is lost....he led us to some fantastic places again...

Dan....

It's a long way down to the first bounce...

The roads connecting various outback canyon views sometimes offered up some good fun...

Dr. Dave on his custom XR400...

Video Link: http://bobzilla.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/giantloopgrandcanyon2012/22765589_355C9X#!i=1853347519&k=gC8LMtG&lb=1&s=A

Making dust in the damp dirt....

A momentary regroup...

And then off for more vistas...

One of the gang living dangerously...

Bobby knows no fear....(except shin pain)...

We tried to talk Bobby into seeing if his Go-Pro and secondary camera could record his experiment of seeing if his riding jacket could function as a wing suit if he jumped....but he was content to just kick rocks over the edge.

Dr. Dave was thinking....."I will jump if you guys want me to...!"

So they had to restrain him...

Our fearless Trail Boss, Kevin......eyes closed in concentration with the difficult task "at hand"...

And then trying to figure out if he is anywhere near the Grand Canyon

What could be cooler?

Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #216
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

After another regroup after the last Canyon vista and we continued south and Kevin led the way to the hiway leading to Cameron for a gas stop...

The skies lightened up as the afternoon introduced itself. We wound our way past a traditional Navajo hogan ranch that appeared to be a sheep ranch. A woman outside clearly was unhappy to see us out there and she replied to my friendly wave of acknowledgement with the thumbs down gesture.... If looks could kill...

I felt bad for the intrusion....but our intentions were honourable.

We gassed up in Cameron and headed southwest hoping to find a place to camp near the south rim somewhere. The road up through more Navajo land was on rolling gravel roads that before long started to gain altitude. With that, the wind was picking up and the temperature was falling. More friendly running horses and gamboling cows kept us company up to some relatively uninviting terrain that eventually led us back down to the highway leading from Cameron to the South Rim. Our fearless Trail Boss looked around, looked at his GPS, and then read my mind...."Let's go back to Cameron and get a room!" We all saw the deep wisdom in his suggestion and it took us about 1/2 hour to see if they had rooms left.

The pavement offered a quick trip....

We were in luck....a great motel that was affordable, a good restaurant, and a large store with everything a tourist could possibly want. I would encourage anyone to do an overnight at the Cameron Trading Post.

http://www.camerontradingpost.com/

We washed up, had dinner, and hunkered down into our rooms for the evening. I suggested we get ripping drunk and ride down the wet-sand river bottom gracing the north end of the establishment, but the others all saw the total lack of wisdom in my suggestion. Dr. Dave didn't even offer to jump over the cliff to the wash.....I knew my sarcastic suggestion was seen as another Kitty-Milker stupid comment

Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #217
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
In for the end.

Good to see you guys having a great ride.
I know from experience that it takes quite a bit to get Bob off the bike before the ride is over.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #218
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 894
Well like they said I got dropped off in Escalante. I don’t know why I thought SOMETHING might be in that town but Ill tell you it was DEAD.

The guys filled up their fuel and left in two different directions; Herc to find a rental truck to carry my sorry ass home and the rest of the gang to explore the Canyon. I found a corner at the Quicksackminisubwaygasbeer store that was under a overhang since it looked like rain. Got out of my riding gear and whipped out my 2 legged chair with 4 legs and made myself comfortable and watched the small town go by. There was a very energetic lady working for the city pulling weeds across the street and that was wearing me out just watching.. I say the city got their moneys worth.
Once she was done all that remained was people watching……they got two kinds of people in Escalante besides “The Desert Doctor” motorcycle repair dude. Ya got your out in the middle of nowhere meth head/white trash/walmart types (but no walmart ) and ya got the members of “The Church”

Now “The Church” folks, I think there is really only one kind of church in this area, I have to say they were nice and polite , each and every one. Stopping to ask how I was doing? Could they help? (none wanted to give me a ride) what was I going to do ? Most of them I saw more than once and every time they stopped to chat. I even met an older guy that was a farmer who was waiting on time to change irrigation that told me a story about the road from Badwater over the butte. Seems there was a fairly well off cattle guy who wanted a short cut across so he got in a cat and cut the road himself. . Don’t know if it was true but it was a great story that passed some time. Sadly the guy was a big BYU fan and crashed his plane on the way home from a game and that was it for him and his passengers.
“The Meth Heads were typical of most towns out west. Screamin at the snotty brats, grabbing a cube of Nattyice, leaving and flippin a bitch half a block away cause they forgot to get smokes. Saw a bunch of them more than 5 times. Fat bitches thinkin there hot with the rolls hangin over the tight sweatpants, smoking cigarettes, yappin on the cell phone, and yelling at more tit hangers. Shirtless skinny guys covered with zits and crappy tats nervously lookin over their shoulder like something is chasing them Haha The waitress we had for breakfast must have been one too cause she was in and out the store a bunch and the first 2 times I said “Hi” she looked at me like I was crazy. I didn’t say “Hi” again. I think the meth heads out numbered the Church but seemed to ignore each other and went happily about their business.

Now “The Desert Doc” motorcycle mechanic was something else. He must have come by 10 times to see if I needed any of his services. He could take me to St Georce for $600. No thanks. He asked if there was a wire from the radiator and that was probably it. Did I want him to check it out? No thanks. Later on he asked if I was with the Harley Guys from BC. No, not me. I got info about him from several locals. Some think he is a rip off artist, some think a fool, but I think he is just a lonely old biker wanting to be helpful and make a few bucks and maybe just a couple of cards shy of a full deck.

All of this could have happened in 1 hour but I think I spent about 15 hours there. I got a little worried about Travis after 4 hours and no word. Shit he only needed to go 135 miles ….om pavement….. Little did I know of his adventure at the time. Anyway he finally made it back , we loaded up the bike and headed off to …….SOMEWHERE else.

Made it to Mesquite, got a room, drank some beer and slept till 10 the next day.
Headed to Vegas, dropped the Van, and got a room at a real nice hotel with Hers’s travel points. Found a store with good beer and had a good night. The next day we went on a tour of Hoover Damn and there was a lot of Dam stuff there. We found the Dam bathroom, the Dam water fountain, The Dam stairs……. The people who worked there got a kick out of “Damn”
It was a very enjoyable tour and we saw some real cool chit.

Just as we were finishing up the tour we got a cell call to meet the guys and we headed east into Arizona to meet at Kingman. It was real good to meet back up with the “family”. A lot of beer was drunk and lies told in that motel parking lot that night. It was not the way I wanted to end the trip but it could have ended much worse..

Ill let some of the others get to their end and then Ill finish up
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #219
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Bob,
Dam....that's a good insight into the sociology of Escalante. Dam fine description of The Desert Doctor...I especially go for the "lonely biker" perspective.

Travis sure had a dam hard ride to get the U-Haul truck...too dam bad we can't post the video of his story.

I love that new bridge at Hoover Damn.... a lot of dam concrete went into that, eh?!

(Give this link some time to load....series of pics) http://www.bridgeathooverdam.com/

Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #220
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Day eight

DAY EIGHT:

I was up and packed early.....not desert early, but motel early.

Once the Coyote was strung over the back of the mule, all I would have to do was lean against the hitching rail and have a smoke ...and wait for the rest of the posse to shake the sand and varmints out of their blankets.

I was sitting at a table in the restaurant and a few of the guys sauntered in and joined me for a sit-down breakfast....not one of them Power Bar Buffets I was getting used to

The evening before had been very windy and seemed that we had clear skies for today's ride. After flapjacks and coffee, we saddled up and rode west.

I was first down the road for a while and was very tempted to stop and check out the Little Colorado River Canyon about 20 minutes or so west of Cameron

But I kept going as we were headed to the South Rim area to look into our ride's namesake...

This was the type of viewing that 99% of the folks who visit the Canyon get to see....and was the type of viewing that did not interest me in seeing on my previous trips returning from Baja rides. I figured the pictures I had seen over the years gave me a good idea what the Canyon was like.

This trip changed all that

So, here are our "tourist" shots...

Bobby is a Disc Golfer (he will correct my terminology),

so he creates a "For-size and to-scale comparison...

And all these pics were taken about 20 feet from the parking lot...

While the view was that of amazing geology, the experience wasn't nearly as meaningful as yesterday's adventures to the rim the day before. But, it was still impressive...

It was still early and we had miles to go. The guys had called Bob and Travis the evening before and it was decided that they would rendezvous with us that evening in Kingman , AZ.

We still had to rip up some alto plano ranchland before dodging pirates on Route 66 ....

Old 06-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #221
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

We continued in the park for a bit and Kevin led us down a gravel road winding through pines until we came to ranchland.

Coming down to the ranches, some of the guys saw some elk...and after that the riding was fast...

We had route options...

but we followed the dust of the guy ahead of us...a few gates greeted us, but we welcomed brief breaks to regroup...

some gates had some rules of engagement...

We let the ponies catch their breath...

And continued...

Some of the road was fast ...

And some were prettier than others...

We raced with antelope along fence lines, saw some more dancing cows, were acknowledged by friendly aliens..and were destined for a watering hole on Route 66...

The ponies could smell the water...

We cruised into Seligman, dodged the pirates who were infecting the town, gassed up, and settled in for some vittles...

I picked the street parking....as five minutes before this pic was taken, a dozen or so Harleys were lined up here in formation....and I just knew they wouldn't want some dusty dirtbike messing up their image. Sho'nuff....they evaporated by the time I came out for a pic.

We stepped inside for burgers and beer...

I later walked around the parking lot to check out the tourist stuff...

Remembering that Bob was now thinking of putting an air-cooled Honda 600 cc motor in something to replace the temperamental 690, I saw just the chassis....looks like it would have good traction and was sturdy enough that it would survive Bob's maniacal riding style...

He would just have to get a custom seat built...

It was hot and we had a few hours of riding to get to Kingman. We slabbed it past miles of Burma Shave signs, a few towns. One town greeted us with a huge swarm of some flying bugs that instantly turned our goggles into welding glasses....

We made it into Kingman and realized that most motels had jacked up their prices to accommodate a motorcycle run centered in Laughlin....many miles away. Kevin did some comparative price research while the rest of us lingered in a parking lot filled with shiny HD's and wannabe cruisers...some were friendly, but most of the pirates pretended to ignore us.

We decided on the motel next door and we rode over, got our rooms, showered, and waited for Bob and Travis to arrive about an hour later.

The mood was good and Bob made it better with his assortment of designer beer (For such a crusty fart, he sure likes chocolate-flavoured beer and all that other foo-foo brew ).

We all pulled chairs around the planter pit that would have been a fire in a more civilized location and settled into stories and enjoyed the comraderie that had developed over the past week together.

Every night on the trail while lounging by the fire, Bob would consistently remark, "This is better than any hotel ." He was always right (dam it ). And here we were...in a cheap motel...with deteriorating rooms and....no fire...

TRavis kept us entertained with his story about getting to the U-Haul truck a few days earlier...

We drank beer, ate pepperoni pizza, laughed, and were only too aware that the trip was ending.

Bob was regaling us with their dam adventure...

We were out of the dust, canyons, ranches, reserves, and sandy washes.

We were back in a city with trucks and Harleys making too much noise, horns honking, and too many people around us.

Not one of us wanted the ride to end, although we all were tired and needing a break from the pace.

It was an adjustment for us all....as a group and as individuals.

Relationships had been formed....and others deepened. Memories for life were created and shared with laughter. The teasing was all in fun.....except the stuff about Dave's mom and sister.

We were dead serious about that....

Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #222
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Great RR guys. Almost feels like I was tagging along.

Now just waiting for the finale...from what I've gathered to this point was that Bobz had a bad spark plug.....
Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #223
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Lovin the ride report.... You guys rock. So jealious as I sit slaving away in my Dam cubicle.

And speaking of Dam's....Bob....Did you get to see Megatron while you were there?

YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #224
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Barman,

Bad spark plug? Geez, I dunno ?! I think you need to read the entire report more carefully again....

I don't even know what nail his pony picked up the third time...even the 690 thread hasn't been told....and that just shows what resolve Bob has to keep a secret and suspense.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #225
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Barman,

Bad spark plug? Geez, I dunno ?! I think you need to read the entire report more carefully again....

I don't even know what nail his pony picked up the third time...even the 690 thread hasn't been told....and that just shows what resolve Bob has to keep a secret and suspense.
I've been following. But either Bob has been pretty tight-lipped on the malady or I somehow missed it. I'll wait for the recap.