User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
mrbindc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
R65 fork oil change question

Quick question, can the bike be on the center stand or does it need both wheels on the ground when changing the fork oil? I changed it over the weekend on the center stand and it looks like the forks are over extended now. Did I trap too much air in the forks by sealing them up fully extended?
mrbindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
Yes and no.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
mrbindc OP
Adventurer

I see. Hmm, have I stumped the infamous ADVriders with a simple fork oil question?

I'll try it next time with the wheels on the floor.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbindc View Post
I see. Hmm, have I stumped the infamous ADVriders with a simple fork oil question?

I'll try it next time with the wheels on the floor.
But you got the experienced factory trained answer
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
Yep, and he answered both parts of the question(actually both questions) quite accurately and concisely.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
supershaft
because I can

I was just trying to convey to you why and how I have ridden tons of airheads with well setup ATE brakes in every conceivable stage of altercation touchy racer. Some of us refer to actual comparative experience. Not these are good enough so they are just as good as those although I really don't know so now I am going to go on and on about it because I could have run better brakes but I didn't.

Mrbindc. No stumping at all. I should have been more clear. Yes to your first question and no to your second question.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
mrbindc OP
Adventurer

curious, I went to drain the oil out of the forks again last night and as I was using my fingers to back out the 10mm screw the last couple of threads it shot across the garage along with a steady stream of fork oil. Luckily I had the wheel turned at the time so the oil gusher didn't hit the bike but I had quite a mess....
Old 06-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
supershaft
because I can

The only bike I have had do that is my R100 Mono. I don't understand how a few forks get pressurized? My R65LS never did that. Is yours a Mono or twin shock? Do you ride on VERY rough roads? I do. I can feel it sometimes and I let the air out via the fill holes. I have drained the fork oil on tons of bikes and mine is the only one I have ever noticed holding air pressure.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
mrbindc OP
Adventurer

I'm not sure either, perhaps the bits of o-ring material or whatever is clogging up the drain. This bike is a 1982 R65. Since I didn't get much oil out the first time I am guessing they were still pretty full when I added the additional 190cc per side. With the forks extended on the center side I may have trapped too much air along with overly filling them with fork oil. It was pretty comical to see all of that oil sprayed across the garage. Not fun to clean up but I had to laugh.

I had to pump the forks up and down to get them drained, the oil was very black, I'm hoping that helped clean it up a bit inside but I may just convert the front to a K-bike setup with dual rotors.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
supershaft
because I can

That would be your rubber top out bumper. Sure, chunks of that could plug the drain. You need good top out bumpers to set up your front end. You didn't trap too much air. That is not the problem. Or mine. My Mono forks get pressurized with none of your stuff going on. I think my situation might be related to riding such a heavy bike really fast on some really ruff roads?

Swap to K bike forks? They have a LOT more ride height and fork travel too I believe. You would need to slide the tubes way up into trees and make a spacer for the damper rod to shorten travel I suspect. Then the hard part would be finding some springs that work on a much lighter bike.