Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #46
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPO View Post
At some point, in one of the MANY threads I've been reading (and re-reading and re-re-reading) someone made mention of someone sliding the GS tubes up into the triples in order to get back to the stock geometry. AW, I know you mentioned it could be done, just wondering if anyone knows anyone that has actually done it, and how it worked out...?
I didn't slide mine up as it handled just fine as it was, but Dustdevil mentioned that you can sort of maintain stock geometry by sliding them up 1.5cm. I'd take that with a grain of salt though because the GS forks will have a good amount more axle to steering axis offset as they are leading axle forks which the ST forks are not. Handling will change. A 21" front wheel turns noticably heavier also. It's not going to be the same bike. It will be different. Fortunately, I thought the differences were an improvement though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #47
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayIS...:B:WNA:AU:1123

Not much time left , but these are similar to the forks on the works Dakar bikes
I saw those! How are those different from regular GS forks?
SPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #48
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I didn't slide mine up as it handled just fine as it was, but Dustdevil mentioned that you can sort of maintain stock geometry by sliding them up 1.5cm. I'd take that with a grain of salt though because the GS forks will have a good amount more axle to steering axis offset as they are leading axle forks which the ST forks are not. Handling will change. A 21" front wheel turns noticably heavier also. It's not going to be the same bike. It will be different. Fortunately, I thought the differences were an improvement though.
Thanks for the info AW. I'm pretty sure I've talked myself into the GS forks. I've got a ridiculous amount of things on my plate, and a non "plug and play" fork swap would be the straw that broke this camel's back.
Again, thanks to all for the info. If and when I swap em out I'll start a little thread.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #49
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
If you had time to thrash the ST around you'll be very glad for the swap. I noticed a difference immediately and that was after very little off road riding. VERY noticeable change on pavement!!! The only fault w/ the GS front is the brakes, but that can be cheaply changed to a R1100XX four pot caliper.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #50
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, turns out I was able to score a "well seasoned" GS front end..starting the swap next week!

Thanks to all for their input, and thanks AW!

Cool,

Seth
Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #51
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
I guess that means you made a trip to Seattle. Be good to my ex-legs and be sure to show them a good time. We'll need pics once they're "moved in" to their new home.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #52
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I guess that means you made a trip to Seattle. Be good to my ex-legs and be sure to show them a good time. We'll need pics once they're "moved in" to their new home.
I'll be sure to show em a good time!

I'll do my best to snap pics and document the swap.