Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #241
tiner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
G~ed, you did a great job of telling the story, and I actually did stop smiling after I relaized how much I missed out on. Warm Creek looked great. thanks a milltion for having me along you guys.

Oh yea, almost forgot. Last weekend at the River with Dave's Mom and Sis, I asked them if they were OK with me sharing a couple of our pics. Sorry guys, but they said that even though Dave is a Doctor now, he still can be a little sensitive, so it's only right that I enjoy them by myself.
tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #242
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,335
Guys thanks for sharing your adventure. I hope that I will be able to take a ride out there one day.
Great ride report Ged.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #243
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Great report and thanks, from an old fart that reads more than I ride.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #244
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiner View Post
G~ed, you did a great job of telling the story, and I actually did stop smiling after I relaized how much I missed out on. Warm Creek looked great. thanks a milltion for having me along you guys.

Oh yea, almost forgot. Last weekend at the River with Dave's Mom and Sis, I asked them if they were OK with me sharing a couple of our pics. Sorry guys, but they said that even though Dave is a Doctor now, he still can be a little sensitive, so it's only right that I enjoy them by myself.
Travis,
We were all sad you couldn't continue with us....there were so many WWTTD moments after you headed back home....I have invited the gang to ride up here next July....and you should consider yourself invited as well.

P.S. Thanks for mailing the pics of Dave's mom and sis......I didn't realize three folks could do all that at one time

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #245
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Guys thanks for sharing your adventure. I hope that I will be able to take a ride out there one day.
Great ride report Ged.
GC,
Do yourself a BIG favour and ride southern Utah and Arizona before life slips by....

Old 06-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #246
sarkmych
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Another amazing ride report Ged. You should write a book or something....I'd buy it. As long as its got lotsa pictures.. I like picture books....

07' WR450F
sarkmych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #247
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Paul, you think I am cruel ??? Something was said quietly to me about E-bay helmet bids....
All that time I thought that you were the bugger and they were the nice guys. Goshhhh ... Pretty hard to realize I was that wrong all along and that your were actualy the nice guy going through a trouble-maker training camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
I was given warm goodbyes and man-hugs ...
I repeat myself. Your arms are not long enough for that ...

Oh by the way. If you want to send missiles after me, make sure first they manage ground effects. Above my shoulder is only three feet above the ground. If you can manage the height of a target like me, the width is a non-issue ...

Irronies aside, this is one of the top ten ride report I've seen so far on ADVRider. This report "wrap-up" was one or two notches above the rest.

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 07:07 AM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #248
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
All that time I thought that you were the bugger and they were the nice guys. Goshhhh ... Pretty hard to realize I was that wrong all along and that your were actualy the nice guy going through a trouble-maker training camp.

I repeat myself. Your arms are not long enough for that ...

Oh by the way. If you want to send missiles after me, make sure first they manage ground effects. Above my shoulder is only three feet above the ground. If you can manage the height of a target like me, the width is a non-issue ...

Ironies aside, this is one of the top ten ride report I've seen so far on ADVRider. This report "wrap-up" was on or two notches above the rest.

Paul Jr

Paul,
You have a seat at the fire with us here....just watch out for well-meaning individuals who might offer you a small boulder..... Bob has a two-legged chair with four legs he might part with once he sells a kidney and buys a Kermit chair....the Mercedes Benz of camp chairs.

This group worked well together and it was a treat to ride with them.

They took me through a large area that I had never ridden before...and sowed the seed for a few rides to come. My local gang is already pressuring me to do much of the same route the same time next year with a half dozen of them....maybe ?!

What IS important to me is inviting this gang of Bob's miscreants up to Kamloops next July for a week or so of my favourite BC riding...to return the favour and keep some of that friendship nourished.

Thanks for your comments....glad you have enjoyed the ride

See you around the fire

Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #249
motoboy9
smooth is fast

Oddometer: 19
Dr. Dave's helmet stayed with us until we made it back to Vegas where Dan and Bobz put it in his room in the shower with out him knowing it. The Dr. Was very surprised to see his helmet followed him all the way to sin city.

05 custom
06 klr
motoboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #250
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 891
Epilogue:

WTF happened to the 690?

Ok so I have Ridden, Raced and Fixed my own and others bikes for more than 30 years so you would think I have some mechanical abilities, Right? Well apparently not. Remember back when Tiner said” Fuel, Spark and Air is all it needs” and I had been focused on the fuel part? Well tunnel vision got me then and it got me again later.

First time it ran poorly and symptoms were fuel related or so I thought and it turned out I had a cracked plug cap and when I fixed that it ran great. A couple days later when it just quit BAM quit I knew I had NEW fuel pump and NEW injector and my problem had been spark related. So on the side of the trail the first thing I tried was the plug. Put a new one in. Took the cracked plug cap apart again and re taped it. Checked the connections to the coil. Tried to see spark……. Thought it was there but weak.

I did check the fuel by loosening the clamps on the filter ( mine is external) and had fuel come out. Took the injector out of the bike and watched it spray a mist. Put Roc’s coil pack on my bike and mine would not run and mine on his ran barely. I really though at the time I had a problem with the pulser and the coil pack and repair was beyond my capabilities on the trail.

Slapped the bike back together and my friend Roc offers to ride my bike while I tow him……………..I only put up a little argument before caving……..it was going to be a long tow and the terrain was steep, rocky and soft. This aint our first rodeo so we were prepared with a harness that attaches to the forks and pulls from the center with a carabineer to run the tow rope through and still have quick release, a long dymanic rope with another carabineer to attach to the foot peg of the bike doing the towing. But it was still going to be a hard trip.

All the way to the camp I am thinking of what I can do but in the end give up and am resigned to going home and now the issue is how to do it and let the group continue on. Im pretty bummed and even more that Herc is going to end his ride to help me get home but it is an adventure right.

At the miniquicksackgasmart I get on the smart phone and reach out to the 690 thread and get some info, make a couple calls to dealers and am being told it most likely the pulser on the crank. Neither of the shops have one, so the repair in the next day is out and now its time to change mindset and make the best out of the rest of the trip…… you already heard that.

Fast forward two weeks back home and I finally unload the crap off the bike and wash it and start digging into the problems. My spark plug cap is cracked and I don’t have the BEST spark but there is a spark. I take the injector out and hit the key to see the spray and as I hit the key I remember that the injector is only held in the fitting now by the friction of the o ring and expect it to fly across the garage but it don’t and I get a little mist………..WTF its supposed to have 55 psi………..its a new pump….. I take the hose off the inlet to the filter , hit the key and fuel dribbles out like an old guy pissin………..PUMP FAILURE….NEW PUMP FAILURE…………WRONG ! when I open the bottom of the tank I can see that all the safety wiring I did to keep the hose, electric wires and housing connected to the pump has held the hose ALMOST on the pump but the pressure has blown it off and it is sending some fuel but not like it should….. the replacement pump is one from Ca Cycleworks and it has NO BARBS on the outlet. We used safety wire to make the connection and that has held in the past but not without some barbs. I used a two eared crimp on clamp ( like you are supposed to), used a hot tip to melt a bit of plastic to make some ridges for the hose to hold onto and the bike runs good… and even better and like it should with a new plug cap.

An Email to Ca cycleworks and they sent me email in 2 hours saying they will send another pump FREE, said sorry the first ones had no barbs, oh and by the way keep the old one. And it was here in 2 days

As I was in my garage with the shitty feeling of watching the injector flying across the room I remember clearly doing the same thing on the trail and forgetting the pressure should be blasting the injector into the dirt..

TUNNEL VISION it will kick your ass every time…………….

I HATE this bike because its SOOOOO good at most of the stuff I like when it works but we have gone round and round many times, engineering problems to overcome………..and sometimes it was my failures to overcome

Worst thing is I could have fixed it on the trail, in camp or in Escalante if Tiner was there to remind me
“ Fuel Spark Air"

Sorry Guys
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #251
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
WTF happened to the 690?

Ok so I have Ridden, Raced and Fixed my own and others bikes for more than 30 years so you would think I have some mechanical abilities, Right? Well apparently not. Remember back when Tiner said” Fuel, Spark and Air is all it needs” and I had been focused on the fuel part? Well tunnel vision got me then and it got me again later.

First time it ran poorly and symptoms were fuel related or so I thought and it turned out I had a cracked plug cap and when I fixed that it ran great. A couple days later when it just quit BAM quit I knew I had NEW fuel pump and NEW injector and my problem had been spark related. So on the side of the trail the first thing I tried was the plug. Put a new one in. Took the cracked plug cap apart again and re taped it. Checked the connections to the coil. Tried to see spark……. Thought it was there but weak.

I did check the fuel by loosening the clamps on the filter ( mine is external) and had fuel come out. Took the injector out of the bike and watched it spray a mist. Put Roc’s coil pack on my bike and mine would not run and mine on his ran barely. I really though at the time I had a problem with the pulser and the coil pack and repair was beyond my capabilities on the trail.

Slapped the bike back together and my friend Roc offers to ride my bike while I tow him……………..I only put up a little argument before caving……..it was going to be a long tow and the terrain was steep, rocky and soft. This aint our first rodeo so we were prepared with a harness that attaches to the forks and pulls from the center with a carabineer to run the tow rope through and still have quick release, a long dymanic rope with another carabineer to attach to the foot peg of the bike doing the towing. But it was still going to be a hard trip.

All the way to the camp I am thinking of what I can do but in the end give up and am resigned to going home and now the issue is how to do it and let the group continue on. Im pretty bummed and even more that Herc is going to end his ride to help me get home but it is an adventure right.

At the miniquicksackgasmart I get on the smart phone and reach out to the 690 thread and get some info, make a couple calls to dealers and am being told it most likely the pulser on the crank. Neither of the shops have one, so the repair in the next day is out and now its time to change mindset and make the best out of the rest of the trip…… you already heard that.

Fast forward two weeks back home and I finally unload the crap off the bike and wash it and start digging into the problems. My spark plug cap is cracked and I don’t have the BEST spark but there is a spark. I take the injector out and hit the key to see the spray and as I hit the key I remember that the injector is only held in the fitting now by the friction of the o ring and expect it to fly across the garage but it don’t and I get a little mist………..WTF its supposed to have 55 psi………..its a new pump….. I take the hose off the inlet to the filter , hit the key and fuel dribbles out like an old guy pissin………..PUMP FAILURE….NEW PUMP FAILURE…………WRONG ! when I open the bottom of the tank I can see that all the safety wiring I did to keep the hose, electric wires and housing connected to the pump has held the hose ALMOST on the pump but the pressure has blown it off and it is sending some fuel but not like it should….. the replacement pump is one from Ca Cycleworks and it has NO BARBS on the outlet. We used safety wire to make the connection and that has held in the past but not without some barbs. I used a two eared crimp on clamp ( like you are supposed to), used a hot tip to melt a bit of plastic to make some ridges for the hose to hold onto and the bike runs good… and even better and like it should with a new plug cap.

An Email to Ca cycleworks and they sent me email in 2 hours saying they will send another pump FREE, said sorry the first ones had no barbs, oh and by the way keep the old one. And it was here in 2 days

As I was in my garage with the shitty feeling of watching the injector flying across the room I remember clearly doing the same thing on the trail and forgetting the pressure should be blasting the injector into the dirt..

TUNNEL VISION it will kick your ass every time…………….

I HATE this bike because its SOOOOO good at most of the stuff I like when it works but we have gone round and round many times, engineering problems to overcome………..and sometimes it was my failures to overcome

Worst thing is I could have fixed it on the trail, in camp or in Escalante if Tiner was there to remind me
“ Fuel Spark Air"

Sorry Guys

Concisely stated Bob.

Thanks for the follow up.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #252
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

And there ya have it, folks....

Thanks BobZ and gang for making it happen

Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #253
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,037
Great ride report & pics . Now should I head off on a 2 week desert trip in Aus with a barbless CA pump in my 690 ???
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #254
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
WTF happened to the 690?

“ Fuel Spark Air"

Sorry Guys
how many of us have been kicked in the spods by a persistent problem , compounded but not beingable to see the wood for the trees

so you gonna keep it now then

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #255
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Let me guess, Bobby hucked it as far as he could and the rest of you raced for it.

Dave won the prize and on getting back to the parking lot some suspected Ged of not trying?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote