ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #31
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Have FUN!

Y'all have fun and make sure that you have downloaded the .gpx in the last few weeks. It's been updated.

FWIW, it rained pretty hard out here this evening. Should make the HO-CAT interesting. And as always: Post your pictures in the HO-CAT thread, or it didn't happen!
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #32
Lowcountry Thumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Anyone riding roday? I get maybe one Sunday off every six weeks, and this is it. I'd love to be able to ride some dirt roads with others. Pretty bored with riding by myself these days.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #33
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,368
Last minute plans......heading out in 5 min to ride Francis Marion, likely the power line corridors in and around Wambaw Cycle Trail if not too sandy.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #34
Okeedokee
Your Redneck Friend!

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
Y'all have fun and make sure that you have downloaded the .gpx in the last few weeks. It's been updated.

FWIW, it rained pretty hard out here this evening. Should make the HO-CAT interesting. And as always: Post your pictures in the HO-CAT thread, or it didn't happen!
We had a great ride on the Ho-Cat. Good job on the layout. And yes you sure did get alot of rain! Barracuda Road was pretty sporty! Good old wet, red clay to start the day out in an interesting way!.
Thanks for printing-out the route sheets Bloodline.
Okeedokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #35
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Long Cane Dual Sport Ride

First off, I DID NOT intend to "ride" the ride on a WeeStrom. I was there to see how "woods bikes" have changes over the last 26 years. However, my "guide" to Long Creek, BigWrench, did ride the entire course on the KLR650 he rode up the day before. After the ride, he rode the KLR back to Charleston. Kudos to the Big Wrenchand and the KLR. I took a good look at the field just before the start, and I'm pretty sure 90% were KTMs. The largest bike was a Tiger 800 that finished all but the fourth section. The ride organizer did not recommend the ride even for KLR's, it was simply too tight, and undulating for large or heavy bikes to "enjoy".

We did a good bit of exploring on the way to the Long Cane ride, and on the way back. I'd like to organize an overnight trip to one of the state OHV parks. The idea would be leave EARLY Saturday, ride mostly dirt on the way up, camp, and hit the OHV park Sunday morning and return (dirt or highway) after. I can't ride this weekend, so will be asking the email group to organize a ride or rides for those who can get out. We've had a couple new additions recently, so use the "reply all" option on tonight's email to include everyone.

Have a great week, and thanks again to Laura0107 and Marsh Tiger for getting those first great gpx files uploaded.

Clint
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #36
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This weekend 6/16 or 6/17

I知 going this weekend, and hope to have a few join.
HoCat is what I知 thinking, despite the mud that will definitely prevent any triple digit runs. I just hope my Wee doesn稚 decide to take an abrupt nap like the last time I had a large audience. J
MarshTiger, are you able to make it this weekend? I壇 really like to find out where my gpx file is in error on the Northeast side of Walterboro.

I知 thinking of start between 10 and 11 AM, and whichever day has less rain in the forecast.

Bart, any chance of getting a ride on that XR? Hey, I値l even let you ride the Wee through the slick mud J

Last minute changes to these rides go out to an email group. If you're interested, just PM me your email or call me.

Clint
843-224-2496
Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #37
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenFant View Post
HoCat is what I知 thinking, despite the mud that will definitely prevent any triple digit runs.

we would never do that on the HoCat

MarshTiger, are you able to make it this weekend? I壇 really like to find out where my gpx file is in error on the Northeast side of Walterboro.

I知 thinking of start between 10 and 11 AM,
There's a good chance I could ride on Saturday (rain or shine). Sunday is booked...
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #38
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Ready to roll, slide, whatever

Clint and group, count me in for a (preferably) early saturday start. I'll be treking back up to the Abbeville area at some point saturday to camp overnight at Cedar Springs or Parsons Mtn OHV trail for a early sunday ride through both. Then return to Charleston via undecided route. Will try to remember some of the route we took a few weeks ago after branching off the HO CAT. No fixed schedule means no hurry but I'd like to set up camp in the light if possible. Any are welcome to ride along at any point. Please add me to the e-mail list kenmkingataoldotcom

God bless and best regards, Ken King
BigWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #39
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWrench View Post
Clint and group, count me in for a (preferably) early saturday start. I'll be treking back up to the Abbeville area at some point saturday to camp overnight at Cedar Springs or Parsons Mtn OHV trail for a early sunday ride through both. Then return to Charleston via undecided route. Will try to remember some of the route we took a few weeks ago after branching off the HO CAT. No fixed schedule means no hurry but I'd like to set up camp in the light if possible. Any are welcome to ride along at any point. Please add me to the e-mail list kenmkingataoldotcom

God bless and best regards, Ken King
Darn, I had it all figured out... full day of muddin' Saturday and get home early for a wash off and early start Sunday on the Honey-do list... Unfotunately, Ken's waiving the idea of riding Parsons Mtn OHV trail, and I REALLY want to do that. Camille's even given me a kitchen pass since I drove her dad all up and down Blue Ridge Parkway last weekend. OK, if I can get out of office early enough tomorrow to do some quick packing, I'll go to Parsons Mtn with you Saturday. Marsh Tiger's doing Ho-Cat. Ken, and anyone interested, let's meet MarshTiger along Ho-Cat, ride that and a lot of Meow before breaking off and bee-lining to a camp site? We can work out the details in the Email Group so anyone who wants to join can keep in touch right up to our depart time.
I'll email the group now. MarshTiger, I'll try to get a gpx of the route we take to HoCat so you can figure best meet up spot.
Clint

PM me SAP w/ email if you want to be added to that list.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #40
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
June 23 there is a group doing a mostly pavement ride starting in Saluda NC.
twistydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #41
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistydave View Post
June 23 there is a group doing a mostly pavement ride starting in Saluda NC.
Dave, Do you have any idea of the route? Most of the bikes riding tomorrow are larger, easy road bikes.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #42
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This weekend 6/16 or 6/17

This ride morphing quickly b/c Parson's Mountain and Cedar Creek OHV trails are closed at present. There is definitely a HoCat ride Saturday, and the email group is getting all the latest info. Robert and Hal, you have been added.
The last email the email group was approx 11:30 AM Eastern Daylight time. If you got that, you're on the list.

Clint

Quote:
HoCat is what I知 thinking, despite the mud that will definitely prevent any triple digit runs. I just hope my Wee doesn稚 decide to take an abrupt nap like the last time I had a large audience. J

I知 thinking of start between 10 and 11 AM, and whichever day has less rain in the forecast.

Bart, any chance of getting a ride on that XR? Hey, I値l even let you ride the Wee through the slick mud J

Last minute changes to these rides go out to an email group. If you're interested, just PM me your email or call me.

Clint
843-224-2496
Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #43
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Dave, Do you have any idea of the route? Most of the bikes riding tomorrow are larger, easy road bikes.
stolenfant not sure if you were talking to me but, Yea, sure do, know the route ffor the June 23 ride. I'm leading it . It's tight twisties. Rural roads with hopefully few cars. The short dirt stretches are just connecting routes between the pavement. Larger adventure,standard and sport bikes will do fine. Big harleys like a road king etc. may want to choose another day to ride with us. If things work out. so far, we have a Dorsoduro, Tiger 800, 1050, GS, 400 DR, me on the Wee. Ride route, start and stop times are very flexible.
twistydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #44
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistydave View Post
stolenfant not sure if you were talking to me but, Yea, sure do, know the route ffor the June 23 ride. I'm leading it . It's tight twisties. Rural roads with hopefully few cars. The short dirt stretches are just connecting routes between the pavement. Larger adventure,standard and sport bikes will do fine. Big harleys like a road king etc. may want to choose another day to ride with us. If things work out. so far, we have a Dorsoduro, Tiger 800, 1050, GS, 400 DR, me on the Wee. Ride route, start and stop times are very flexible.
Sorry, didn't catch the date at beginning.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #45
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Final Plans for June 16 Ride

Here's the final Plan for Saturday, June 16 ride:

Meet at 9AM at Dodges Store on Hwy 17 just outside of Charlston, (32,802092, -80.124493)
Dodges has breakfast (biscuits and such) Then ride 26 miles to where we'll meet MarshTiger on HoCat

Meet MarchTiger at 10AM at intersection of Alt 17 and Rhode Drive (32.925545,-80.445714)
Ride 16 miles of HoCat to Meow, then over 70 miles of Meow to the Piggly Wiggly in Neeses to meet Laura for lunch.

Laura, I'm guessing we'll hit Piggly Wiggly between 1 and 2PM. However, we can call you enroute to give a better ETA.

If anyone is interested in viewing the GPX files, they are on www.dualsportmaps.com. Click GPX files and zoom in around St. George, SC. Click on the flag at St. George, then "show map". Map name is Saturday June 16, 2012.

So far we have 2 or 3 Tigers, a KLR, my WeeStrom. and some tentative riders.

I won't be posting again before this trip, but can be reached via cell or email until about 8:30AM June 16.

Clint
843-224-2496 cl3@sotank.com

Quote:
This ride morphing quickly b/c Parson's Mountain and Cedar Creek OHV trails are closed at present. There is definitely a HoCat ride Saturday, and the email group is getting all the latest info. Robert and Hal, you have been added.
The last email the email group was approx 11:30 AM Eastern Daylight time. If you got that, you're on the list.

Clint