User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
2GbeemerLUV OP
Bavarian Motor Pie

Oddometer: 51
Proud to post

Thanks to the guidance and support of the airhead forum, I am proud to report my first head/base gasket, helicoil repair, and valve adjustment. It was a success!! Thank you all, again, who posted on my last thread.

On a related subject (that may negate 2nd to last sentence in paragraph 1): 75 r60/6 when I need power at lower (1500-2500) rpm- specifically uphill with a warm engine- I get a lugging slap/ ping. My crystal ball tells me pushrod, but I have nothing to base that on other than a wild hunch.*
Can I get some help diagnosing this? How does a bad pushrod present itself?
(brief background of the last I fiddled with: end play snug- only oil film moves and rocker arms rotates freely, valves set to a quiet and tight .006" in and .008" ex @TDC, all bolts at 25ft/lb with new gaskets and pushrod seals)
2GbeemerLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,314
Don't ever never lug the engine that low. Not good for it to try to sound like a harley. Do not load the engine up below 3000 rpm. Bringing it up to speed on a flat ground with a light throttle from 2500rpm to save a downshift is OK.

JOOC, why do you think you have a bad pushrod?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
2GbeemerLUV OP
Bavarian Motor Pie

Thanks bill, never would I ever want a Harley. Sometimes there's those tweener speeds (esp with a slow car in front) where a downshift screams, and a higher gear lugs? I guess I gotta put the wrench down and get to riding. Somewhere between carbs, fd's, and valves I forgot how fun that other part of owning a classic can be

No reason for the pushrod comment other than ignorance and inexperience. A car mechanic buddy of mine immediately suggested the timing needs to be set- sound right?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
LonerDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I suspect that the noise you get is the engine's way of telling you that it doesn't like being pushed at such a low RPM. I try to never run below 3k. Does it make that sound if you've got the RPMs up?

I remember the stern warnings I'd get when driving a friend's VWs - "Don't lug the engine!". Don't know if it's an air-cooled thing or just the nature of the beast, but they're really much happier when they're spinning a bit.
LonerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
2GbeemerLUV OP
Bavarian Motor Pie

thanks dave, and again- i must hone my riding skills. Having rpms that high is a new experience for me. Although I spent much time on the back of this bike as a boy, I musta forgot what it sounded like. And the "don't lug the engine" quote sounds like my father- I've heard that many times, but while learning stick shift on our old '78 volvo 240 DL- which I know now is a totally different ball park. Thanks for the reminder. No, no sound after about 3000, so I should be in the clear... for now
Old 06-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,354
The engine won't mind the downshift to make it scream. They usually do very well in the 5-7K rpm range.

Lugging on the other hand should be avoidable, so given the in between choice, always go the downshift.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote