User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #76
athomerecords25
Vintage YZ *****

Oddometer: 99
FJ_Kevin,

Your posts are so very informative. Thank You.

P.S.
Shoot I need you to help me with the rebuild on the bottom end (replacing the gears) on my 1983 Yamaha YZ490 Broc Glover Replica. Lol
athomerecords25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #77
athomerecords25
Vintage YZ *****

Oddometer: 99
Question

FJ Kevin,

Will a 1979 YZ400 Cylinder bolt onto a YZ465 Bottom End?

Thanks in Advance
athomerecords25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #78
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by athomerecords25 View Post
FJ Kevin,

Will a 1979 YZ400 Cylinder bolt onto a YZ465 Bottom End?

Thanks in Advance

Sorry, I dont know the answer to that. You may want to check the part numbers on base gaskets and and stroke for compatibility.

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #79
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, back to it!

Clutch: In addition to examining clutch components between my parts motors I also put together a table of part numbers to determine interchange of the major clutch components across the various model years of the 465 and 490's. Even though part numbers are different in some cases, these components can be swapped so long as you swap them as a group.

For instance, the 80/81 clutch basket uses a helical cut gear while the 490 baskets use straight cut gears. You can use the 490 basket on the 465 so long as you also use the corresponding primary gear on the crankshaft.

There are several significant improvements made in the 490 clutch baskets (notice the 4 different part numbers across the 465/490 range) . The photo below shows 3 basket styles I have on hand. These are a 465 (top), 82 490 (left) and a 83 490 (right).

Notice that all of these clutch backets have a (small) gear on the back side that engages with the kick start idle gear. On the 465 and 82 490, this gear is pressed on. This seems to be a weak design as the press fit is not strong enough to prevent movement in relation to the basket. You can also see differences in the riveting and in the machining of the large gear. I did not weigh them but it appears (due to amount of machining) the 465 basket is heaviest andthe 83 490 basket is lightest.

The top side of the baskets is shown next. The 490 baskets (on the bottom) have more fingers then the 465 basket and so the fiber clutch plates are not interchangable between 465 and 490. The 490 baskets had much less ridging in the aluminum fingers compared to the two 465 baskets I looked at. This seems to be another good reason to go with the 490 basket.

But I think the the more compelling reason to choose the 1983 490 or later basket is the pressed kick gear issue.

This photo show the 465 (and 82 490) kick gear problem. The pressed gear has rotated and pushed away from the basket. It actually wore the machined slot open over time. The pushed out gear spaces the clutch basket out form the clutch bearing it sits against. This then prevents the clutch primary gear from lining up properly with the primary gear on the crankshaft. This offset in the gears is what led me to take a closer look.

This next photo is the 82 490 basket. It also has a pressed on kick gear but this basket is in good shape.

The problem is solved once and for all on the 83 and later 490 basket where the kick gear is machined as part of the large clutch primary gear.

More to come....

So can anyone put a date on these hi-point boots I just picked up?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #80
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 453
Kevin,

Not sure exactly what years offered but I would say mid 70's. Those are 2nd Gen Metal Plate HP's.
Can you say Mad Max?

The 1st Gen look like mine here. Note the different stitching and plate design:

The boots on the left are my "Daily Drivers" while the boots on the right are brand new and never been worn.

Go to this site for the "Rest of the Story":

http://www.classicboots.com/moto/hipoint1.htm

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK

wfopete screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 04:10 AM
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #81
mikeyam187
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Head gasket (where are they)

Where can I get a head gasket for an '81 465? I have searched everywhere with no luck.
mikeyam187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #82
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyam187 View Post
Where can I get a head gasket for an '81 465? I have searched everywhere with no luck.
DC plastics has a complete gasket set with head gasket. Should be more out there. I just got a 1980 YZ465 and want to get it running too. Still in the research mode.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #83
mikeyam187
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra View Post
DC plastics has a complete gasket set with head gasket. Should be more out there. I just got a 1980 YZ465 and want to get it running too. Still in the research mode.

I just got an email back from DC Plastics and they said that I can buy just the head gasket for $34.95. Sounds expensive for 1 gasket but I guess that might be the only choice.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #84
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyam187 View Post

Take a look here.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #85
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Kevin,

Not sure exactly what years offered but I would say mid 70's. Those are 2nd Gen Metal Plate HP's.
Can you say Mad Max?

The 1st Gen look like mine here. Note the different stitching and plate design:

The boots on the left are my "Daily Drivers" while the boots on the right are brand new and never been worn.

Go to this site for the "Rest of the Story":

http://www.classicboots.com/moto/hipoint1.htm

Thanks Pete,

I enjoyed the link to the hi-point page! Nice collection of boots you have there!

Here is my collection, old to new...

These guys seem to like them too!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #86
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back on line!

Sorry to be so long in updating this project. There has just been lots keeping me busy theses day.

And what of these other projects? Well, the barn was really looking like hell so we did some much needed exterior repair with some fresh paint.

Paint? Yes, paint!

That ain't namsy pamsy, new fangled and unproven vinyl siding on there. That is good old fashioned, original slow growth, wood siding! And it needed plenty of scraping!

Then I also got distracted by this 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador. A family friend had one in the 70's that my dad would help him with on occassion. My dad referred to it as the "Moto $hitbox". I found myself muttering the same thing when recently chiselling out a frozon exhaust nut from the cylinder head (after 1st cutting off the header pipe!).

But that's another story.

Now, while I have been slacking on my postings, I have been keeping up work on the 465... and here is the proof!

First, recall the factory OW machine in the top photo. Compare this to the photo of my 465 (below) as taken in late spring.

The green number plates look great but I was to find out that AHRMA rules require yellow number back grounds. So off with the the green and on with the yellows on DC side plates.

At this point it is nearly fully sorted. Jetting makes a very big difference in how these bikes perform. I am happy to say that this one is spot on and runs extremely strong from bottom to top.

I am very, very pleased with how the bike has turned out. I know I have made a big jump in the project presentation but I still have a lot of photos and documentation on what it took to get to the finish line. I will continue to post that material for others who may find it useful.

So whats next? Well, here are the 250 experts leaving the line at Bridgehampton in 1979. Number 64 is me! Haha, will I still have the nerve to line up again??? Stay tuned!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #87
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Glad to see you back Kevin, I was wondering what happened to you.

TAT SHAK
Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #88
mikeyam187
n00b

Fork height measurement

How about the fork height in the triple clamps for the 1981 YZ 465. I forgot to measure it before I pulled it apart, thinking that the owners manual gave that measurement but I don't see it in there.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #89
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Mine are set at 47mm (not including any of the cap). This worked decent on both a woods setting and MX track. Fork hieght has to do a lot more with suspension set up & the type of riding your doing. Typically, the 465's didn't turn real great so likely the forks will be placed high. If you look at old photos alot of the pros ran then quite high in the clamps.

TAT SHAK
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #90
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,186
Running the rear as high as I could get it and lowering the toobs in the trees helped my '80 w/'82 forks turn decently.